"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #21
Contest Winner

Smile

Goodweed of the North, Of course I will comply !

Old 08-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Thanks for the list of acronyms. Had a quick look and some of them are so funny! I've cut and pasted it into a file for future reference. :)

Old 08-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I don't think Goodweed (and please correct me if I am wrong Goodweed) was saying there was a problem. He was just asking a favor.

You're absolutely right GB. There is no problem. This is probably the best site I have ever been a part of. The people here are incredible. I was indeed just asking a favor.

I don't consider myself a prude either. But many years ago, I made up my mind to quit cursing. Like Ishbel, I only believe that the improper use of terms concerning Diety are true swear words. The remainder, including some of the most detested words in the English language are words that are insulting, degrading, or turn something great into something common and base. But as those words don't uplift, I'd rather not use them. I'm around people who swear all day long. I have been all of my life. But I don't have to be one of them. I have made a conscious choice to be different, even if it is generally seen as at best, odd.

And for those who have children among this august group, I can tell you from example that out of 4 children, who are now adults, I have two who use no foul language, and two who use minimal flul language, and one of those is trying to quit altogether.

I have to be honest and say that it was extremely easy for me to quit uttering vulgarities. It was like flipping an on/off switch. But I recognize how hard it is for others. And like I said, though I don't use the words, they float freely around in my brain and are too easily brought into consciousness, where I'd rather not have them.

Example is a powerful tool, one that is too often ignored around our peers, and especially around many children. And though every person will make their own choices, how we act definitely has an affect on those around us.

Also, if anyone slips, that's Ok. It's not like I'm perfect in anything. I too am a mere mortal, with an uncanny ability to do and say stupid things. And believe me, you don't have to swear to get yourself in trouble with words. I've been in hot water too many times to believe that.

And your responses to this have shown me once again that I am in the company of the highest caliber people on this site. Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
I think I know what LMAO means, I can guess ROTF. I've referred to DH, and I think I didn't say anything bad....here's the question - is there a list somewhere where you can look up what these things are supposed to mean?

Great point sandy! I have to ask my 13 year old!!! She told me what LMAO means!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
Head Chef

I will try to be on my best behavior, but you'll have to excuse me if I slip. I tend to have the mouth of a prison inmate or lumberjack. Though online I am usually pretty good.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Goodweed, no problem here...When on another service we always used those acronyms espicially in the chat room, but upon finding DC I also found all these cute , They express it all and you don't have to guess what someone means

kadesma
Old 08-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #27
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Maybe its because I have had 4 hours of sleep. But can someone tell me what those acronyms mean? Rolling on the florr laughing. Right??!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:11 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
rofl - yes sush - it's rolling on floor laughing

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
I will try to be on my best behavior, but you'll have to excuse me if I slip. I tend to have the mouth of a prison inmate or lumberjack. Though online I am usually pretty good.
htc, I bet that you would be surprised to know that the loggers that I work with actually have better manners than most people I know and use minimal amounts of foul language. One guy even shakes my hand everytime I see him. Sure nobody is perfect and they may slip every once in a while when equipment breaks or something else happens. But overall most of them keep the cussing to a minimum. Sometimes, I find that around them I have to clean up my language.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #30
Master Chef

Gotta love ya for it. One reason I fell in love with hubby was that he used to make up bizzare swear words. In recent years he's retrogressed (oh, dear, need a spell check there) and has been using the F-word a bit much ... I'm trying to remind him of one of the reasons I loved him to begin with. One was his imaginative ways of swearing. It was such fun. And the F-word is ... well, so overdone that no one is shocked. Surprised. Offended. When I met hubby, he could come out with obscenties that many didn't understand, and it was funny as all get-out. I'm trying to get him back there. Life is strange.