SPOILER - Giada and Rachael on IronChef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Rachael started stirring a pot of panna cotta when the show started and finished at 9:21. Wonder why she choose something so labor intensive?

Giada is working away.

Both of their dishes are looking good.

Giada seemed to be freaking out alot about her dishes and things not working for her. Who knows...we shall see :LOL:

That keeps the drama going. :LOL:

Why is Bobby telling about the dishes? It's Giada's game.

We'll see if Mario takes over Rachael's descriptions.

Last edited:
Half Baked said:
That keeps the drama going. :LOL:

Why is Bobby telling about the dishes? It's Giada's game.

We'll see if Mario takes over Rachael's descriptions.

I just said the same thing to my husband...why is he speaking for her? She's the chef in this competition :LOL:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Rachel Ray will LOSE! If she dosent then the whole thing is fixed. :glare: This is a fight about good against evil! :mad:

I assume you weren't watching the show :LOL:

The team of Batali/Ray won.

Felt sorry for Giada tho, she looked really disappointed.

Would love to have the dessert that Batali made.

Gossie said:
Mario Batali and Rachael Ray won. I felt bad for Giada tho.

I thought Bobby and Giada looked appalled (sp?) that Rachael and Mario won. I do think Giada is more of a chef by definition then Rachael, but they both can obviously cook.

I didn't see much of the show, and just caught the end of Giada and Bobby's presentation. Interesting that Bobby took over the discussion. Mario and Rachael split, but Rachael did tend to elongate her description. Then again, Mario has done this many more times, but I think Rach did fine.

From the aforementioned looks of Bobby and Giada, I'm glad Rachael and Mario won. I think the intent was to be more entertaining, and I am confident had the judging gone the other way, Rachael would have been a bit more tactful in her disappointment. Not only did Rach and Mario win, they won in every category!

I have to watch the Grizzly's game. If they lose any more I might have to change my avatar to the Grizzly logo, after all, anyone can show support when their team is winning.

back to the topic

I'll watch the Giada/Rachel replay at 11:00 PM CDT. How do their uniforms look?

skilletlicker said:
I'll watch the Giada/Rachel replay at 11:00 PM CDT. How do their uniforms look?

Giada had a nice chef's coat. Rachael was simple with just a black top. Fitting I though as Rachael is not necessarily a chef by definition. Then again, I'm not for sure Giada is either, but I have heard she is,

(well, pants, etc. but chef's tend to focus on the coat/top)

Those chef's coats serve a purpose for ANYONE who cooks in a kitchen - culinary degree or not. Whether or not they actually graduated from anywhere I still consider them both chefs by trade.

I wish I had gotten to watch the whole thing - does anyone remember how she did the drunken noodles? I just heard the part where she boiled the noodles in wine, I'm assuming a red wine.

I do believe that Mario and Rachael would have won on the food alone. That being said, I think there should be a rematch because Giada AND Bobby both had a problem with the food processor. I also believe that the stove's temperature range was having a problem on the Flay/deLaurentis side too. I don't think either will complain about it, but I also think that Iron Chef America should be gracious and offer another try.

This is not a sexist perspectiive even though some will surely percieve it that way. Miss Rachel and Miss Giada no more belonged on that show than I did. I don't have any feeling either way for Flay, but I did feel a little sorry for Batali.

RR's cooking skills seemed to be better than GD's but that might be because Rach's show is a documentary style, taped in long segments, and GD's is more of a Hollywood style with a lot of quick cuts and heavily emphasised camera angles.

Sadly, I wouldn't want to eat or cook with either one.

kitchenelf said:
Those chef's coats serve a purpose for ANYONE who cooks in a kitchen - culinary degree or not. Whether or not they actually graduated from anywhere I still consider them both chefs by trade.

Lesson learned. I have experienced in other professions clothing items being considered "sacred" and applied the same approach to chefwear. My apologies for assuming. Drop the "u" out of assume and you got me right now (assme).

kitchenelf said:
I wish I had gotten to watch the whole thing - does anyone remember how she did the drunken noodles? I just heard the part where she boiled the noodles in wine, I'm assuming a red wine.

As I recall, presentation was applauded, but there was dissention for taste. I did not know any of the panel of judges this time, so I can't name who said what. I believe it was the lady that wasn't overly impressed with flavor.

skilletlicker said:
Sadly, I wouldn't want to eat or cook with either one.

I'll take your place for either event, for both of them! :w00t2:

First, don't tell DW, but I think they are both very attractive! I know they are both married, and I would certainly respect that (especially since I am too!) but to have the opportunity to dine or cook with such lovely ladies? Count me in! :brows:

Second, I do like their shows and would love to try some of their recipes. One thing I notice with both is they often use prefab ingredients. Not saying that is bad, and arguably necessary for 30 minute meals, but there are others that rarely if ever use prefab ingredients. An example of what I man by prefab is a recipe of Giada's for basically italian mac & cheese using cheese tortellini for the pasta. She uses premade, frozen cheese tortellini in the recipe. Again, I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it provides additional argument to the debate of the commercialization of some of the show hosts on FN.

This is fun and an eye opener:

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/the_amateur_gourmet/2006/01/what_i_can_tell.html

This on one of the comments on Amateur Gourmet's site:

Food Network Iron Chef Make Believe? Flay should be nominated for an Emmy.
Didn't anyone else catch this?

Flay vs Tourondel battle goat cheese. The camera focuses in on Bobby Flay putting the finishing touches on one of his dishes. He's obviously sweating it to the very last second, his competitor is finished with time to spare.

You hear the female announcer say "30 seconds to go". The camera pulls away from Flay and you see (and hear) one of his sous chef's say "this is when he tell's me he needs something else". Within two seconds Bobby says "one of the dishes is missing here". Our blond sous chef comes to the rescue presenting the gnocchi dish.

The beauty of TIVO is the ability to re-play TV, and, there it is. It's obvious that Iron Chef is also as perfectly manicured for pubic consumption as are Food Network's other make believe shows.

posted by Axalady on Oct 31, 2006

Last edited:
BigDog said:
Giada had a nice chef's coat. Rachael was simple with just a black top. Fitting I though as Rachael is not necessarily a chef by definition. Then again, I'm not for sure Giada is either, but I have heard she is,

(well, pants, etc. but chef's tend to focus on the coat/top)
Rachael would not be allowed in my kitchen even at home with her hair uncontrolled like it was! She didn't have to wear a chef's coat, altho the purpose ot the jacket is to protect the cook from burns on the arms, but NO ONE wants hair in their food, and her hair was going every which way but down! I didn't stick around to watch the outcome. I never watch Booby Flea, and I find Rachael offensive. :wacko:

BigDog - I know all about the "ASSUME" thing! lol Been there done that I "should" know better! :ROFLMAO:

OK folks, now that we know the outcome I think this thread is over. As many of you know this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The FoodTV boards got closed down because of this. This board will not go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom