"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Spring Sprung yet?

OK, I'm so bloody sick of winter! This is the longest, hardest, sickest winter I have ever experienced in my life and I want SPRING! I hear from the weather office that we are supposed to have some warm weather this coming few days. Lord I hope they are right. Seems like everytime they predict nice weather we end up with some warm days and then a snow storm.

Today its warm, and SUNNY (YIPPEE!) and I am actually contemplating wearing capris. I know, I know, crazy, but its true! There is still snow on the north sides of the streets but I think I see some green bits poking out of the ground on the south side of things.

Spring sprung for you yet? What signs have you seen?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Right now it's cold and thr precipitation is switching back and forth between rain and sleet. Sunday night/Monday we are due for another major storm. Don't know what for the precip will take.

Global warming? I think not!

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Head Chef
If Al Gore wanted to be taken seriously, he would pay our energy bills from the money he earned selling his book about global warming.

It was warm enough to rain yesterday but it turned over to snow during the night! We are still looking at snow predictions. They predicted sunny and warmer today, but it is not. I usually do not plant until mid May but this year that may have to wait until June.

At least I don't have to come up with any global warming soup recipes!
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by StirBlue
If Al Gore wanted to be taken seriously, he would pay our energy bills from the money he earned selling his book about global warming.
The Gore Effect's correlation is somehow still batting a thousand! Every major announcement about global warming leads to bitter cold winter weather the next day!

I believe the science (although there's nothing we can do about it because China will do anything to make money), but maybe if they keep making announcements and driving down the temps, we can keep polar bears around for a few more years!
"It's not a bald spot, it's a solar panel for my electric personality."
-Red Green
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Not here yet either, our robins are freezing - windy cold wind, bummer, can't wait for spring to come and stay !
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Not a chance.

It is bloody cold with a fierce wind. Wind chill is below freezing.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Snow in Virginia predicted for the weekend.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
sunny here and would be fairly warm if the wind would let up..It's sunny but chilly. Light coat or sweater helps.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Master Chef
Ok--don't hate me---I had to go to the doctor's office today to freeze my bodunkus off because the staff in the back who run off their toes the entire time as Dr. Lugo is considered one of the best doctors here were perspiring---us sedentary,sit on our boondocks patients were freezing on the other hand. Outside it was in the high 70's. The weather was gorgeous for Houston--sunny and low humidity-will last exactly one week and we'll be back to the saunas.
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Not sure. It tried a couple of weeks ago, then we were hit with a deep freeze blast. Our shag bark hickory tree looks pathetic. It had leafed out quite a bit but, after freezing temps, it has brown wilted leaves. Not sure how it will fare.

Buck and I spent several wonderful evenings out on our front porch during the earlier warm-up. Now we're contemplating firing up the wood stove again to heat the house and chase away the Global Warming that has crept inside. Go figure.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote