"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
The water pistol will work. After a few times of getting squirted, they start associating getting squirted with clawing the furniture.
Not always true. We tried (and still use) the water bottle. It has not detered Loki one bit. It stops him momentarily, but he does it again as soon as he feels like it. We also tried taking a soda can and putting some coins in it an taping that shut. We would shake it real loud when he did something wrong. That worked as well as the squirt bottle.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Did you try throwing them at Loki?
Just kidding..... maybe

Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
Head Chef

Do you have an alternative for your cat to scratch? Another option is to spray the area with a potporri spary with a citrus fragrance. Cats don't like citrus. Or you can cover the area they like to scratch with double stick tape or aluminum foil, something that doesn't "feel good" until they start using the scratching post.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Do you have an alternative for your cat to scratch? Another option is to spray the area with a potporri spary with a citrus fragrance. Cats don't like citrus. Or you can cover the area they like to scratch with double stick tape or aluminum foil, something that doesn't "feel good" until they start using the scratching post.
Yep, cats hate citrus if you use a spray bottle you must be sure they don't see you using it it must seem like it comes out of nowhere. My cats like those card board scratch pads. Also cats naturally know to use a litter box. You can also go online to Pet Smart or other pet supply places they have all kinds of scratch deterrents. And kitty needs an alternative for scratching for sure Mean while close all the doors to rooms you don't want it to cause problems. And give it it's own little bed it can be a blanket or even better an old pillow with a pillow case in a safe high up place.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Did you try throwing them at Loki?
Just kidding..... maybe
Yep
Old 06-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
We have tried all these things. He just looks at us like you have got to be kidding. You think THAT is gonna stop me
Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I have one cat who is declawed (he came that way) and one who isn't. The one who isn't pretends to be deterred by the squirt bottle but in reality, he waits til I go to sleep to scratch on things.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #38
Head Chef

Put some clear tape on the edges of the furniture he wants to scratch. They hate plastic. Remove it when she learns to scratch on acceptable stuff.

I'm pretty sure they have some of the stuff I'm talking about at pet stores. But I found some flimsy, clear packing-type stuff that did the trick at a dept store (Target or Fred Meyer kind of place). It didn't ruin the edge of my couch or chair and kept the stubborn cat off of them. Eventually he gave up and used the post.

Z
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I used that stuff Zereh. It is basically double sided tape. It was a disaster for me. I taped up the bottom half of a door he was scratching. It did not deter him one bit. What ended up happening was first the tape got covered in his fur so I had a furry door, then as he continued to scratch he shredded the tape so I had little bits of furry tape ground into the door and all over the house.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #40
Head Chef

So is this the same cat from the Stephen King story "The Cat from Hell"?