"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2016, 01:16 AM   #331
Master Chef

And "they" say romance is dead, Dawg.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #332
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So I'm in the kitchen heating up the meatless pot roast, in my extra large frayed sweatshirt and flannel pants, and DH comes home from work for lunch. "You look like Olive Oyl."

The man sure knows how to give out compliments!
ROFL

Old 01-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #333
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So I'm in the kitchen heating up the meatless pot roast, in my extra large frayed sweatshirt and flannel pants, and DH comes home from work for lunch. "You look like Olive Oyl."

The man sure knows how to give out compliments!
He's just letting you know how much he needs you!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #334
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Awk! It's too early in the morning for that song....
Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 AM   #335
Chef Extraordinaire

Good Morning on this 1st day of February.

When is the style of parting your hair in the middle and then letting it hang down straight down along the side of your face going to go out of style?

Don't girls know that just a few curls to frame your face makes you look so much prettier?

What brought this thought on was I was wandering through some pics of stars at different red carpet events. A lot of the women had on beautiful gowns and it seems like they forgot to do their hair. Do they really think they look pretty? A lot of them look like they may have forgotten to even wash their hair. Very greasy looking.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:58 AM   #336
Chef Extraordinaire

Words of Comfort

Pirate's oldest son is a firefighter in a small town north of Boston. All fire fighters there have to be licensed paramedics also. The fire department runs the town ambulance. He hates it when it is his turn to work on the ambulance.

He informed his father that he doesn't want to be a paramedic. "Dad, I want to run into burning buildings".
Old 02-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #337
Chef Extraordinaire

This is a public service announcement

So, it turns out that my MIL did not have a stroke last November after all. Based on what my FIL told DH, doctors found no evidence of a stroke in brain scans. Instead, she apparently developed Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome, or extremely high blood sugar from uncontrolled diabetes.

Her blood sugar was over 700 when she was admitted to the hospital. At that level, the blood becomes thick and syrupy. This makes the heart work very hard to move the blood and the kidneys work very hard to eliminate the sugar from the body. This also requires lots of fluid (for peeing out the sugar), which can lead to dehydration if it's not replaced.

Since she's stubborn and refused to go to the hospital when my FIL became worried, the condition eventually caused severe dehydration which, because the body was pulling fluid from wherever it could get it, including the brain, finally caused a stroke-like episode and brain damage. She is still in a nursing home and will probably never live at home again. My FIL did have a stroke last year; although he has recovered well, he can't take care of her by himself.

So please - if you think you have your diabetes under control, please make sure and check your blood sugar every day. My aunt had Type I diabetes and checked her sugar at least four times a day for 50 years. She still suffered neuropathy, kidney damage which required a transplant, eye damage requiring surgery, and wounds that would not heal.

Diabetes is a really nasty disease. Too many people underestimate it. Please take care of yourself.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...rglycemic.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20025691
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #338
Master Chef

GG, I'm so very sorry for what happened to her. What a tragic story that could have been prevented. Many of us are stubborn and this is a lesson to be learned for sure. Thank you for this very important information, and my best wishes to all. So sad.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #339
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes. I'm pretty stubborn as well, and since I have a few chronic illnesses, I also hate going to the ER and into the hospital. But that's selfish on my part.

DH has been especially struck by how his parents' relationship has changed. They can no longer banter together, tease each other, share their days with each other as they have for over 50 years. His father was just lost, although he's adjusting somewhat. But it is very sad.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #340
Master Chef

That is all so sad, GG For all of you. Time for a group hug?

Your post shook me up a little, since Himself has Type 2 he's battled for over a decade. If he won't look after his exercise requirements, I can at least go back to cooking better. Can't nag better, though, since I'm probably at the top of the game in that.

Thanks so much for sharing this. If you help any one of us here, you've done your good deed.