Super size me (tv show)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I'm watching this show on CBC (Canada) about fast foods, obesity not only in general but in schools and how the soda and fast food industries try to promote their foods more and more which is contributing to obesity not only in America, but Canada, and Europe as well.

Thoughts?

I am not tooting my own horn here, but I dont often eat fast foods, though when I was younger, my parents were not wealthy, so we did eat unhealthy foods, not necessarily fast foods, but fried foods.

Anyway, the main point of this program seems to be how this lifestyle is leading towards not only obesity, but diabetes, and countless other health issues. One doctor pointed out how (in America) we dont have health care, but we have illness/sickness care.

We have that movie (documentary) on DVD. It was definitely eye-opening and I think everyone should see it. I have even sent the website mentioned in it (Natural Ovens Bakery) to our school superintendent. Our district supposedly went healthy this year, but much of what is served just goes in the trash.

If any of you have kids in school (or who will be in school someday), click on the link I just listed, then click on "schools." There is a short video that will amaze you. All about a school district in Wisconsin that went to a healthy (and tasty) diet and got rid of all the junk. The kids not only started feeling better, but the schools' behavior problems almost disappeared and grades went up.

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
We have that movie (documentary) on DVD. It was definitely eye-opening and I think everyone should see it. I have even sent the website mentioned in it (Natural Ovens Bakery) to our school superintendent. Our district supposedly went healthy this year, but much of what is served just goes in the trash.

If any of you have kids in school (or who will be in school someday), click on the link I just listed, then click on "schools." There is a short video that will amaze you. All about a school district in Wisconsin that went to a healthy (and tasty) diet and got rid of all the junk. The kids not only started feeling better, but the schools' behavior problems almost disappeared and grades went up.

Exactly Barbara, I believe that school district was in Appleton, I saw it mentioned in this documentary tonight.

Yes, it was Appleton. Every parent and School Superintendant should see the video clip at that website.

I loved the DVD extra where he took a bunch of Fast food from McDonalds and one batch of french fries from some local place and see how long before they rotted.

Somehow the McDonalds French Fries lasted like 10 weeks, did not get modly at all, but got thrown out.

Saw It

Just watching him eat that food three times day affected me. Then at one point he threw up. Gross. If kids don't have something to eat they will eat anything. When my family got out of school, I had something for them to eat. At that time there wasn't McDonalds. Today, they don't even go there when they are hungry. Teach them when they are young and they will know better.

I just wonder if the people that they filmed recognized themselves? They never did show their face. What surprised me at one restaurant all the workers were overweight too.

In the Kitchen said:
Just watching him eat that food three times day affected me. Then at one point he threw up. Gross. If kids don't have something to eat they will eat anything. When my family got out of school, I had something for them to eat. At that time there wasn't McDonalds. Today, they don't even go there when they are hungry. Teach them when they are young and they will know better.

I just wonder if the people that they filmed recognized themselves? They never did show their face. What surprised me at one restaurant all the workers were overweight too.

I know what you mean, eating three meals per day of that food. His cholestoral, BP, and liver functions were bad, and he gained alot of weight in one month. When my daughter came home from school I would make her snacks, not go to McDonalds. I noticed the same as you, that all the restaurant workers were overweight.

Alix, thanks for the link to that thread. I was sure I had seen a thread about it at some point, but seeing as I was watching it on tv just the other day it seemed to be a good time to bring up the topic again.

Back
Top Bottom