Take-out food picks and misses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
for national/international food chains.....

Because of my accident, my usual cooking has been limited. I've found two items I can highly recommend for a decent meal.

1. KFC's Chunky Chicken Pot Pie is as good as my homemade version, and that's saying something! The single top crust is generous, flaky light and flavorful. The filling is seasoned perfectly and not stingy with chicken and veggies. I could hardly believe it came from a fast food chain. A homemade green salad along side made a good meal. No, it doesn't come in the nice ceramic pot that's pictured but rather a tin pan.;)
Chunky Chicken Pot Pie | KFC.com

2. Carl's Jr. Charbroiled Cod Fish Sandwich isn't quite as deserving of the hype it's gotten on TV but it's the best fast food sandwich I've had in a long time. The sweet potato fries are really quite good also.
Carl’s Jr.®

Any new hits or misses for you lately?

We enjoyed the Hardee's (Carl's Jr.) codwich too, Kayelle. We love their Mushroom Swiss burger. There's always coupons for them

Papa Murphy's Take and Bake Thin Crust Delite pizza is quite good. We like pepperoni, mushroom and onion (they use a nice combo of red, white and green onions) and they always have coupons too.

Hope you're healing well!

Last edited:
I like KFC's grilled chicken, but I recently discovered Church's Fried Chicken in our area for when I'm in the mood (I don't deep-fry foods at home - too messy). The fried chicken is great and the mashed potatoes and gravy have more flavor. Love those.

My secret pleasure is Domino's pizza. We grew up in the Detroit area, where it's based, so it's a comfort food. I really like the sauce - for me, it's not a pizza without a lot of sauce, and I always order extra - and I like how they added garlic butter to the crust a few years ago. Yummy.

Can't help much on fast food chains.

What I like, locally, is falafels from a mid east market. I don't make these very well at home, mine are a bit greasy or over cooked, never just right. I also like chopped/ pulled pork from a take out bbq smoke place . I don't need to make it in the size pork butts come in, and a pound goes a long way, with sammies, tacos or fried rice dishes.

You may be lucky. Food trucks are marginally seasonal here, you might find some Korean taco trucks for bulgogi. I also like to hit up Lunch buffets, not necessarily eat in, but to go. Much less expensive than dinner prices and you can get an assortment of dishes off the menu to try. And most re heat or crsip up just fine when brought home.

I know you are on the mend. I think now is the time to try some places and some foods you always say, o some other day. "Some-day" has suddenly arrive and now is the time to indulge yourself.

My youngest son will only eat Domino pizza with out the sauce. A white pizza. Strange child. Does not like anything "tomato". Not even ketchup.

I do like only the original KFC legs and thighs. I will eat the potatoes only with the gravy. They are instant and I can taste it. Not crazy about the biscuit.

We have a BBQ that has been featured a couple of times on the Food Network. He makes a smoked brisket to die for. Every time my daughter takes me there, I tell myself I am going to try something new. Then I order the pulled brisket on a large bun. My daughter needs to leave me in the car and go in and surprise me.

We have chain called Papa Gino's. He started out with just a slush stand in the middle of a barroom driveway in a movable shack. At the end of the day he would move it out of the way. Today he is a millionaire a few time over. Another success story of an immigrant who worked very hard to have the American dream. I love their pizza. They also now serve Italian food. Pasta, salad, etc.

Of the burger chains, I prefer BK. McD is greasy. And the one time I had Wendy's, it was horrible. I went in during the lunch rush hour downtown in the Financial District during my working days. Never repeated that mistake.

(I am chair dancing while music of the 50's is playing.)

There used to be a BK in downtown that had a fantastic huge salad bar. That was a favorite place for me for lunch.

When I lived in Tacoma, I used to go to Long John's. Had fried Haddock. I can never get enough of Haddock. Today it is very expensive in restaurants. So I make it at home. I am not a fan of FF. But I tried them there with the malt vinegar. Not bad. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom