"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #91
Sous Chef

In our society it is considered that tattoos are only for tribals and gypsys, although nowadays many models, filmstars and ultramoderns get tattoos and teenagers are copying them.

I don't got any tattoos and it is also hard to find that traditional people like me getting any tattoos.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #92
Executive Chef

One could always just try a temporary tattoo. About 3 years ago I had a big party for all the girls on the ranch including the summer help. The theme was tattoos. I ordered a slew of temp tattoos. The girls went wild. I still have a bunch of them. This is what they got to choose from,rain forest frogs,butterflies,birds of prey,birds,angels,sun,moon and stars, reptiles,belly button tattoos,snakes,celtic art,mermaids,celtic armbands,samurai warriors, tribal body art,animals, roses,wild cats, Frieda Kahlo art,insects, eygyption, aztec etc. I bought them at Doverpuplications. Come to think of it I still have enough to throw yet another tattoo party.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #93
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board) gets nasty quickly almost the minute the naysayers show up.
It's the off topic section of the forum.

About getting nasty, I think my initial post was well written and respectful.

It wasn't until someone went up my backside ..... I didn't start the nasty.

Far as me not being allowed to or that I shouldn't express an opinion on something I wouldn't do? What a childish thought.

So, do you have opinions on thieves and lairs? By YOUR reasoning if you have an opinion on thieves and lairs you must be a thief and a lier.

Your rational, not mine.

I would say it's that type of 'rational' that turned the thread nasty.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
One could always just try a temporary tattoo.

Better yet, there is a photographic process for applying skin art.

There is a particular mix, I think it's used for palladium printing, that is applied to the skin and allowed to soak in. Then a negative is taped over the area and the area exposed to sunlight , etc. Takes quite a while.

Then the negative is removed and the area fixed.

Extremely High Def skin art that lasts up to three months.

Read about it in the early 80's, been thinking about it since. Usually around Halloween.

Thing is, My #1, way back then I looked down the road and realized there was nothing I wanted to identify with forever. Lets say I got a TAT that defined me when I was 25, that means I'll be projecting to the world that I'm 25 no matter how much I grow.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:39 AM   #95
Sous Chef

Finally, for this round, my left ear is pierced. I've worn nothing but a diamond stud in it. A bottle of Jim Beam, large gauge needle, starter stud ... And I was 26? I think.

Not like I don't have some clue, BUT:

I have this sister in law. Last time I saw her she had 30 or 40 something piercings in each ear. And talking about getting more. You gotta admit that's just a little bit out there.

Then this guy shacks up with her for years before marriage. They both got tongue studs except, she got one for a woman, he got one for a man. I don't care which way someone goes, or if they flop back and forth, or if their both ways at once, more important things to care about. I just wish he quit showing it to me.

Best one is, SIL has a tat of a vine. Starts 'somewhere' under her 'belt buckle', works it's way up the stomach to over the shoulder and on her back. Where the others at the In Laws Oohed and Ahhed the only thing I could think was, Darn, It's so gnarly down there it supports plant life! If I live another 50 years I'll probably still laugh at that.

So, If someone wants to fall into one of the latest trends to befall our societies(s), have at it. It's your body, do with it what you want.

If you don't like it when someone has questions or wonders about you because of what you've done to your body, Suck it up. Get over it. If your that touchy on the subject then mayhaps you shouldn't discuss it outside of ink forums. That way you'll have plenty of reinforcements. And you'll have plenty of people to tell you your 'righteous' without much fear of an alternate point of view.

Like I wrote, my initial posting in this thread was well written and respectful. I had no intention of hitting a nerve.

I didn't have a problem till someone went up my butt.

Maybe the problem isn't me.

Think about it.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #96
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Last time I saw her she had 30 or 40 something piercings in each ear. And talking about getting more. You gotta admit that's just a little bit out there.
No we do not have to admit that. Just because that is your belief does not mean that has to be others beliefs. We most certainly do not have to admit that and to come into a thread about body modification and expect that of others is just ignorant and presumptuous.

Quote:
Like I wrote, my initial posting in this thread was well written and respectful. I had no intention of hitting a nerve.

I didn't have a problem till someone went up my butt.

Maybe the problem isn't me.

Think about it.
Sorry, but it does not matter how many times you tell us your initial post was well written and respectful that does not make it so. I could type that I am 8 feet tall and live on the moon. I could type that a thousand times. That does not make it so.

Quote:
Trendy, just another instance of everyone trying to be different by doing the same thing.
Quote:
Unfortunately our societies have come to place more value on appearance than on what lays inside.
Telling people in a body modification thread that the reason they are doing it is just because it is trendy when they have already told you otherwise is rude and disrespectful. telling people that they place more value on what is on the outside then the inside when they have told you otherwise is rude and disrespectful.

Maybe the problem is you? Think about it.

I do not have any tattoos. I do not generally find them attractive. It also happens to be against my religion, even though most do not know of or care to follow that law. I have the highest respect for people who do have them though. If they want to get them then more power to them. I have seen a small handful that I have really liked. It just is not something for me. That does not mean it is not something for them.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #97
Executive Chef

Quote:
A thread regarding body modification (which I wonder what it's even doing on a food board)
VB, I started this thread, just as many people do on here "Discusscooking" on the "off topic" section for a reason, < it's not about food. Just as others do too. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but it's no different than " do you like my puppy"/"the name game"/"DH is a dork"/"venting"/"excuse me while I scream"/"what book are you reading right now"/ "what's your weather outside"/etc. And as we all know, no one had to respond. I'm glad they did though as I just told you in the PM I sent to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
This has been an interesting thread and I've learned a lot from it. An American flag over my left breast, is simply a patriotic one. I so LOVE my country and I always (every day) wear an American flag pin in the same space on my clothing. My love of my country is very deep-seated since my father loved our country and instilled that in me and my siblings.So, a tattoo is a very personal thing for me and others, which I can understand.

I see your point and the points of others too. I agree about this thread starting me thinking in a direction I hadn't previously. As I stated on here somewhere, our family name as a branch in leaves, the letters being the leaves, no one could read what it said, it's personal to me and my husband and children, it's all our names. It's only 5 letters so that would equal 5 leaves. Like you, I bet I probably won't ever do it. But thinking about it has been something I 'have' done. And like someone else wrote on here, I envision it in my mind, but it's not doable on skin so far as I can see.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
VB, I started this thread, just as many people do on here "Discusscooking" on the "off topic" section for a reason, < it's not about food. Just as others do too. Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but it's no different than " do you like my puppy"/"the name game"/"DH is a dork"/"venting"/"excuse me while I scream"/"what book are you reading right now"/ "what's your weather outside"/etc. And as we all know, no one had to respond. I'm glad they did though as I just told you in the PM I sent to you.

I see your point and the points of others too. I agree about this thread starting me thinking in a direction I hadn't previously. As I stated on here somewhere, our family name as a branch in leaves, the letters being the leaves, no one could read what it said, it's personal to me and my husband and children, it's all our names. It's only 5 letters so that would equal 5 leaves. Like you, I bet I probably won't ever do it. But thinking about it has been something I 'have' done. And like someone else wrote on here, I envision it in my mind, but it's not doable on skin so far as I can see.
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm quite proud of my body art, and was pleased to tell the story of them. I'll be in the Quarter in a couple of months. If the timing is right, I may get that fleur di lis while I'm there.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #99
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm glad you started this thread. I'm quite proud of my body art, and was pleased to tell the story of them. I'll be in the Quarter in a couple of months. If the timing is right, I may get that fleur di lis while I'm there.
I asked my husband about his tatts two nights ago. Asked him if he was happy with them both. He said yes, but now, wishes he would have gone to someone else as he wishes my mouth was more correct. Oh well. He says would have liked to go to that gal on LAInk as she used to be in North Hollywood.
Good luck with your fleur di lis and make sure you go to someone really good
Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #100
Sous Chef

I got 3.

A bull on the left bicep
a unfinished lehprchuan on the right bicep and then a blue checy bowtie above that.

The bull has alot of ddep meaning, realized the bull/ tuarus thing after the fact.
The leprechaun was to fill the void i felt, i like symetrical stuff so i jsut looked off and its msotly becuase im 50% irish.

the bowtie was my first tattoo and its pretty high on the arm.

i got pics somewhere. ill post them later