"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-15-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Telephone Company

I am bringing my problems to all of you AGAIN! Recently my older brother got out of rehab due to broken shoulder. I have to check on my everyday due to him wanting to be alone. When I use the telephone I notice someone is listening. I have accused the phone company repairman. When I do something to annoy him per conversation or screaming into the phone he has denied me use of the telephone. In other words, he is letting me know he has control of this situation. I have contacted the phone company many times and they have refused to believe me. Maybe when I contact them I am very upset they notice my state of mind. This is really getting out of hand that it affects me that I don't even want to use the phone. This person must have shift work as he has done it on weekends too. It is NOT my phone. I did as they suggested by unplugging the phones and waiting 15 minutes to reset, gone to the police, etc. Now they told me yesterday to have techinician come to my home will require a fee. Would you pay this? I pay for private phone w/option of call waiting. Nothing else. My brother said to get peace of mind I should do it. Please advise what you would do and I have not lost my mind. Yet!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

ITK, what makes you think someone is listening in?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Evesdropping

When I work in the office if someone else picks up the phone and monitors my conversation I notice difference in the tone of the other person's voice. Also he has cursed me when I have tried to purposely press one of the numbers on the dial pad. It makes a noise when I hold it down for few seconds. But GB how can I prove this? The police have told me that it is out of their hands and has to be handled by telephone company. The first thought that would come to my mind if it were someone else, that that person is losing it. For him to deny me use of my phone is not fair. He only does it for short time just enough for me to notice. If he would do it for longer period I could probably have someone give proof that this is happening.

This person probably knows how far he can go w/o getting into trouble. He knows the company will not believe me. Seems evil cont rols no matter how hard you ask for protect ion. I am not imagining this. I hardly used tthe phone before my brother got put in this state.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Do you have a cell phone? If you hardly use the phone then perhaps you could get rid of your home phone and just use a cell phone instead?
Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Keep a journal of when this happens. If you go to the phone co and show them the days and hours it happens and how long he is on the phone, perhaps they can trace it through their system. With this info in hand, threaten a lawsuit. I'm sure a lawyer could supoena the records and have him busted.

There has to be someone to deal with besides them and the police.

Yes, I can tell when someone picks up the phone to listen, also.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Half Baked

Half Baked, thanks for reassurrance an believing me. This does sound far out doesn't it? I will start to write it down about the phone calls when he is on there. Just that he is now doing it more often due to the fact I want to discontinue talking to whomever so he doesn't hear. So stupid. The police have more important things to deal with rather than phone call. It is not annoying to anyone else but me. My brother feels he is resentful to women due to the fact he is on the phone w/me. No one home during the day that much but I should have freedom to talk on the phone w/o him listening.

You think I have to hire attorney to get this straightened out? I bet not many people believe me. Just because I am a woman they think I am messed up already.

I think the cell phone would cost more than regular phone.

Appreciate your interest.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Everymom

ITK, I'm a bit confused. Do you have a party line? Who do you think is listening? Your brother or someone else?

Sometimes if you have a portable phone you can hear echoes or baby monitors or stuff like that. Could that be what you are hearing?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Along the lines of what Alix said, I used to hear my neighbor's teenaged daugther's phone conversations over my baby monitor...and the girl was ALWAYS on the phone! It drove me nuts! Turns out she could hear clicking on her end.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I've done a lot of work with telephone companies over the years, and I know that they have extremely strict rules about eavesdropping by their employees. It's a violation of federal law (the Electronic Communications Privacy Act), and employees who violate the company's rules are subject to immediate discharge. There are a few exceptions, such as the lineman who needs to check your phone, but certainly what you describe is not permitted.

I therefore doubt it's a phone company employee who's doing this, although that's certainly possible. It could be someone who has tapped into your line to make free calls -- free for them, not for you. You have any shady neighbors, or bratty kids in the neighborhood?

If you're sure that this is happening, I would suggest that you push your complaint with your phone company. Don't waste time calling the operator -- go to the company's security department and file a formal complaint. Also, contact your state's Public Utilities Commission and the Federal Communications Commission to see if you can file a complaint or have the matter investigated.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

ITK, ahhh technology. You might call the phone co, have them either come out or have them check the line for interference etc., on their end. Sometimes, the phone co is doing work in the area, or lines cross.