"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #61
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Geez, all this was just silly string on Joy? When I saw the title I got a tear in my eye thinking "Cat came home from school and found DA had passed on???" Phew, so DA is OK then, right?

Let me give you a different view of this silly string stuff. Sure they might have done it as a prank to be funny or mean - I don't know, I can't read their minds. But when our kids were in high school (1995-1999) it was a big thing to get your yard toilet-papered. Mostly your classmates did it to let you know you were part of their crowd. Our son was always disappointed when the school year came and went and he didn't get TP'd. Well let me tell you, he went to a school that was 25 miles from our home and the only transportation was if we drove. Finally, after 3+ years of football/track/wrestling/mock debate team/etc our yard finally got toilet-papered! The reason it took so long? The kids in his class had to be old enough to get drivers' licenses and pay for the car insurance and gas before they could go 25 miles! Whenever one of the kids from school got TP'd the same kids would show up the next day to clean up. Fun, plus not trouble to the person draped in paper. Heck, they even all got together and did it to the football coach's house at the end of the season.

Maybe your classmates were trying to initiate you. Maybe not. But if there is a next time with them pranking you, if they are around just smile, straighten your shoulders and stand tall, and say "OK, you had your fun. Now come help me clean this up, OK?" If you say it with a strong voice and a firm look in your eye they might help...but they probably won't ever mess with you again.
I think this is good advice. My BIL lives in a town where there is a tradition of students leaving a golden toilet in the front yard of the homecoming king's house. I don't think my BIL was aware of the tradition when he found a toilet sitting in his own yard one autumn morning. Tim was mad as heck that someone would put garbage in his yard, until his son explained that it was only because he had been selected homecoming king. Then, rather than being a source of anger, it became a source of pride.

There are pranks born out of spitefulness and pranks born out of fun. It's hard to tell which type Cat's classmates belong to. These young people may have meant to bully her, but it could also have been an awkward, misguided attempt to include her in their group, without realizing it would make her very upset. Considering they could get into serious trouble for vandalizing someone's car, I can't imagine these kids owning up to the crime as they did, unless they though Cat would also enjoy the joke.

I have a daughter in college. I could honestly see some of her friends doing something like silly-stringing her car as a joke (although she is the type who would make them clean it off afterwards).

Not saying it was right, but things aren't always as they seem on the surface, and there are two sides to every story.
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #62
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I think this is good advice. My BIL lives in a town where there is a tradition of students leaving a golden toilet in the front yard of the homecoming king's house. I don't think my BIL was aware of the tradition when he found a toilet sitting in his own yard one autumn morning. Tim was mad as heck that someone would put garbage in his yard, until his son explained that it was only because he had been selected homecoming king. Then, rather than being a source of anger, it became a source of pride.

There are pranks born out of spitefulness and pranks born out of fun. It's hard to tell which type Cat's classmates belong to. These young people may have meant to bully her, but it could also have been an awkward, misguided attempt to include her in their group, without realizing it would make her very upset. Considering they could get into serious trouble for vandalizing someone's car, I can't imagine these kids owning up to the crime as they did, unless they though Cat would also enjoy the joke.

I have a daughter in college. I could honestly see some of her friends doing something like silly-stringing her car as a joke (although she is the type who would make them clean it off afterwards).

Not saying it was right, but things aren't always as they seem on the surface, and there are two sides to every story.
I understand this. I do not know of their side to this. They laughed and went away.

I know of jokes, but I play jokes that do not cost money or to hurt someone. I could never harm someone's car. Cars are very special to people.

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sadly, she died. I will bury her under the cedar bush where she liked to nap. RIP, Giselle.
Oh dear! Not a happy page for the Chicken Chronicles. I am so sorry. I know how important the girls are to you.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
It isn't funny. It's cruel and spiteful and tantamount to bullying. Have there been other incidents? If there have been, or this nastiness continues, does your school have a student counsellor? If not, or if s/he is ineffectual, then you need to go to the Principal/Dean or whatever the top person's title is. Make sure the counsellor and the Principal understand that this is bullying and vandalism and the law has been broken and you want it dealt with as a disciplinary issue. If s/he's a wet lettuce (ie limp and feeble) threaten to take it to the police. The perpetrators will hate you for standing up to them but would you want them as friends anyway?

I hate bullying and bullies and when I was teaching I used to make sure it was jumped on from a very great height.

Goodness, I got a bit carried away there but I meant it all. The only way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them
I have to agree with you Mad Cook. It is a form of bullying and destruction of personal property. Even though no damage was done to the vehicle, it could have had chemicals in the silly string that would damage the car finish. And it is a stupid act that cost another student money. Not all students are rich enough that they can pass off an extra expense they weren't counting on.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #65
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Cars are very special to people.
Cat, you are right. To you, in your culture, cars are very special. But in the US, I don't think that many college kids think the same way.

Here is an example.

My own daughter came home one weekend with a dent in her front bumper. This was the car that her mother and I gave to her for her high school graduation. When I asked her what happened, she shrugged and said she thought it got hit by someone in a parking lot. It wasn't something that she thought about for more than a couple of minutes. I was probably more upset than she was. But in her mind, her car is nothing more than a thing that gets her from one place to another.

On the other hand, she has a bedroom set that I made for her when she was about 12. She took it to college with her. The bed is very small, since it was made for a child. But she still uses it. A few weeks ago, I asked her if she would like a new larger bed. She then asked what we would do with the old one, so I suggested we sell it. Well, the answer was a definite no. She said she would not want to sell something that I had made for her. This surprised me.

So you see, different perspectives. One thing she regards as special. Another thing she does not.

Again, I'm not saying that what these kids did was right. It wasn't. It was clearly wrong. But did they intend to harm you or your car? Or was it more a case where they just not thinking clearly? That, I don't know.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #66
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Cat, you are right. To you, in your culture, cars are very special. But in the US, I don't think that many college kids think the same way.

Here is an example.

My own daughter came home one weekend with a dent in her front bumper. This was the car that her mother and I gave to her for her high school graduation. When I asked her what happened, she shrugged and said she thought it got hit by someone in a parking lot. It wasn't something that she thought about for more than a couple of minutes. I was probably more upset than she was. But in her mind, her car is nothing more than a thing that gets her from one place to another.

On the other hand, she has a bedroom set that I made for her when she was about 12. She took it to college with her. The bed is very small, since it was made for a child. But she still uses it. A few weeks ago, I asked her if she would like a new larger bed. She then asked what we would do with the old one, so I suggested we sell it. Well, the answer was a definite no. She said she would not want to sell something that I had made for her. This surprised me.

So you see, different perspectives. One thing she regards as special. Another thing she does not.
Oh! I would be very much hurt if someone damaged my Joy of that! I would go to the police!

It does not surprise me of the bedroom set. I would say the same. The things that are made for us do not have any price tags upon them. The worth of things like this are of the heart and there is no argument of this.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #67
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have to agree with you Mad Cook. It is a form of bullying and destruction of personal property. Even though no damage was done to the vehicle, it could have had chemicals in the silly string that would damage the car finish. And it is a stupid act that cost another student money. Not all students are rich enough that they can pass off an extra expense they weren't counting on.
Thank you, Addie. It is what I was very worried of. It is why I went to the car wash.

But she looks just fine.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh! I would be very much hurt if someone damaged my Joy of that! I would go to the police!
Cat, I don't think Steve meant that someone deliberately damaged his daughter's car. Bumps and scrapes happen sometimes. My car door has a couple of dings on it - maybe someone opened their door too fast and hit it, or maybe the wind caught their door as they were opening it and blew it out of their hands.

But I do understand that you're upset by this incident, and that your car is still very new and important to you. We're just trying to say that there is usually more than one way of looking at something.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #69
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Cat, I don't think Steve meant that someone deliberately damaged his daughter's car. Bumps and scrapes happen sometimes. My car door has a couple of dings on it - maybe someone opened their door too fast and hit it, or maybe the wind caught their door as they were opening it and blew it out of their hands.

But I do understand that you're upset by this incident, and that your car is still very new and important to you. We're just trying to say that there is usually more than one way of looking at something.
I am trying to understand this. I am believing of this to be a cultural difference. I did not earn my Joy. She was given to me of the good faith that I perhaps one day shall earn her.

And one day I shall earn my new stove also by becoming a good cook. I think when things are given to you and things are trusted to you, you should earn them for to be careful and responsible of them.

I do not know if this is sensible to all of you, but it is in my heart.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Oh! I would be very much hurt if someone damaged my Joy of that! I would go to the police!

It does not surprise me of the bedroom set. I would say the same. The things that are made for us do not have any price tags upon them. The worth of things like this are of the heart and there is no argument of this.

With love,
~Cat
I too can understand what Steve's daughter is saying. I have some of the most stupid and useless gifts from the grandchildren when they were small. They were each given a certain amount to spend and bought something that they thought was beautiful. I keep them because "they" thought I would love them along with their useless gifts. And I dust them with love. When something is made or given with love from the heart, you cherish it even more. Steve's daughter has some very good values.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.