"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #151
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
Well this is the only project that I have actually finished I have ALOT of counted cross-stitch pieces that are all "in progress"
Hmmm guess I should have taken in out of the frame before I took the pic!!
Very cute!! and I'm glad you left the frame, gives it a finished look and you can totally envision it hanging in your little ones bedroom!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:56 PM   #152
Chef Extraordinaire

sewing is really a craft to me, like solving a puzzle. am trying to make a simple butchers apron for granddaughter. it has self binding. supposed to be cut on the bias. have having a really bad time with it. i know i got fabric it called for but it just doesn't want to fit on the bias. may have to cut pattern in half , allow for 1/4 seam and sew them together. or buy ready made. don't really want to do that, very expensive for this simple project. what would happen if i didn't cut on the bias. i know it wouldn't be as flexible but may be necessary. help help please

Old 11-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #153
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
sewing is really a craft to me, like solving a puzzle. am trying to make a simple butchers apron for granddaughter. it has self binding. supposed to be cut on the bias. have having a really bad time with it. i know i got fabric it called for but it just doesn't want to fit on the bias. may have to cut pattern in half , allow for 1/4 seam and sew them together. or buy ready made. don't really want to do that, very expensive for this simple project. what would happen if i didn't cut on the bias. i know it wouldn't be as flexible but may be necessary. help help please
It's the apron part that is supposed to be cut on the bias? Maybe your fabric wasn't as wide as necessary. You could definitely cut it on the straight grain and it would still work - just wouldn't be as "form fitting" around the waist when it's tied. You could also cut the pattern in half and do the seam, as you mentioned. It could even give it a little interest with the seam. If you do that, I would advise either a french seam or a flat-felled seam because standard seams in fabric cut on the bias can stretch out of shape and get "ravelly". HTH
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
It's the apron part that is supposed to be cut on the bias? Maybe your fabric wasn't as wide as necessary. You could definitely cut it on the straight grain and it would still work - just wouldn't be as "form fitting" around the waist when it's tied. You could also cut the pattern in half and do the seam, as you mentioned. It could even give it a little interest with the seam. If you do that, I would advise either a french seam or a flat-felled seam because standard seams in fabric cut on the bias can stretch out of shape and get "ravelly". HTH
sorry, didn't see your post til now. i am just going to cut it anyway i can. you are so right on types of seams. once made a huge tablecloth in french seams. looked great but a lot of work. i am determined to get this done before monday.

still have a quilt to do for great granddaughter's first birthday. no problems there as i have done tons of em. always fun. so thanks for the help

sorry didn't answer your questions. no it is the self binding that is supposed to cut on bias.
ps. decided to buy bias tape after all. labor intense on doing it from fabric, even if i could cut on bias, which i can't.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #155
Executive Chef

Quote:
sorry, didn't see your post til now. i am just going to cut it anyway i can. you are so right on types of seams. once made a huge tablecloth in french seams. looked great but a lot of work. i am determined to get this done before monday.

still have a quilt to do for great granddaughter's first birthday. no problems there as i have done tons of em. always fun. so thanks for the help

sorry didn't answer your questions. no it is the self binding that is supposed to cut on bias.
ps. decided to buy bias tape after all. labor intense on doing it from fabric, even if i could cut on bias, which i can't.
No problem, Babe. I love reading about all of your projects - so many different ones. I love making quilts and blankets for little ones. Such a happy project. But I usually machine quilt them. I'm so slow at hand quilting that I save it for quilts I intend to keep forever!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsKat View Post
Well this is the only project that I have actually finished I have ALOT of counted cross-stitch pieces that are all "in progress"
Hmmm guess I should have taken in out of the frame before I took the pic!!

Kathe, That's great!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #157
Master Chef

Suzi and Kathe... awesome work! My mom crossed stitched.... and was good at it. I for what ever reason got the sewing gene. I'm more of a Home Depot type girl, give me a drill and I'm good to go.

The only thing I have used a needle and thread for lately is stringing up cayenne peppers!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
No problem, Babe. I love reading about all of your projects - so many different ones. I love making quilts and blankets for little ones. Such a happy project. But I usually machine quilt them. I'm so slow at hand quilting that I save it for quilts I intend to keep forever!
for these i use yarn and tie them. goes a lot faster. the kids don't know the difference and it keeps batting from shifting just great.

did i tell you handyman is putting bead board in my hall bathroom? i am excited. hope there is enough material to do the other one. it is very small. i think em up and he makes em happen.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #159
Executive Chef

Quote:
for these i use yarn and tie them. goes a lot faster. the kids don't know the difference and it keeps batting from shifting just great.

did i tell you handyman is putting bead board in my hall bathroom? i am excited. hope there is enough material to do the other one. it is very small. i think em up and he makes em happen.
You know, now that you posted this, I remember my Grandmother tying quilts with yarn. They were so pretty and I remember being fascinated as a child at all the different colors of yarn she used. Thanks for reminding me about this. (Now I'm mentally going through my sewing stash thinking about making a yarn-tied quilt.)

Oh, let us know how the bead board comes out. I think it's so, so, so pretty, especially when you install it like wainscotting. I tried putting it in the small nursery once in this house but I discovered your walls really need to be square for that. This house is almost 90 years old and I'm pretty sure there aren't any square walls. So I settled for putting the bead board on just one wall and it looks great. (Oddly, all of the porches have bead board ceilings but there was none on the walls.) Oh, and I'm really envious of your handyman - even if he is a little difficult at times.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

that is how he is doing the bead board. got it cut today and should go in tomorrow. yes, he is very talented but can sure be aggravating sometimes. we have been working together for three years on one project or another. like an old couple that have been together to long.

i do think the tied quilts are cute. i usually pick a color out of the quilt and get that color yarn

this one is all pinks and whites, so will use dark pink yarn.

after that i think i am done with projects til spring. tired of things being torn up and messy.

the end result is very good though.