"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
Certified Cake Maniac

I am still hitting a bunch of dead-ends trying to find the first two seasons. Our Canadian Netflix told us "it will be in Canada soon but we don't know when". They have been saying that about the Gilmore Girls for 3 years!

We have a "disk in the mail" service called "Zip" and they have it, but the waiting list is really long.

I was given a few links to it online but they were dubious sites wanting my credit card info before telling me they have it and I wasn't about to give it to them.

So, I am staying away from this thread as much as I can until I start watching it so I don't read any spoilers.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Buckytom that was a fascinating read! You put me to shame for not getting my arse over there yet !!
thanks.

my friends over did the political thing a bit with me (which i truely found fascinating from a familial and historical standpoint) but i'm an american first and foremost so i would have to admit the second part of my trip when i went off on my own across the entire country was my favourite part. boy, is it tricky to drive stick lefty on the "wrong" side of the road. plus, being on small roads in farm country i often had to drive off into a ditch when suddenly approched by farm equipment or animals. lol.

besides being 1/2 irish, i'm half norwegian so genetically i have a lot in common with the english. and as an american feel we have no better partner in the world over the last century, so it's all well and good.

getting back to down"town" abbey, the show insults americans just as much or maybe more often, so i wonder if anyone else cringes a little when an elitism pops out of say the old dowager's gob.

the preview's of this week's episode looks bad for my irishman, though. something about running away from sybil. i'll be tuned in for the repeat broadcast on tuesday night.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #63
Master Chef

Just got all caught up! Nothing like watching a series in quick succession! I started this season 1 over the weekend and finished with the season 3 episode 2. I've even watched the Highclere special. I had to sign up for hulu plus to see the Christmas special but plan to cancel it before the one week free trial is over.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Just got all caught up! Nothing like watching a series in quick succession! I started this season 1 over the weekend and finished with the season 3 episode 2. I've even watched the Highclere special. I had to sign up for hulu plus to see the Christmas special but plan to cancel it before the one week free trial is over.
Are you now as hooked as some of us jabbur? If nothing else it's really a feast for the eyes, yes?

The Highclare special was really interesting but I haven't seen the Christmas special and I have Hulu..I need to check on that.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, I'm back. All caught up.
I started with season 1 streaming on Netflix (CC). Then had to get the season 2 DVD's from Netflix in order to get the CC. Then watched the first two episodes of season 3 streaming through Amazon, which were also CC. I had to pay for those, which I guess is why they aren't available to watch free on hulu.
Then on a whim I went to PBS's site and the first two episodes of season 3 are avaiable there for a limited time, but they are the American version. I have been watching the UK versions. For the heck of it I started episode 2 and the first five minutes were nothing at all like the one I watched last night on Amazon It appeared even the episode's main storyline was different. Interesting. I will continue watching the UK version through Amazon.

Oh, and check this out, Amazon offers closed captioning if you watch season 3 on the computer, but not any "outside devices" they called it. I called to ask. So even though I can stream Amazon's instant videos through my Playstation 3, not all the features are avaiable.
I discovered that I can stream right from my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, so that's what I did.

Today I will watch episode 3 of the UK version. I am curious if it will resemble the Amercian version episode 2 that I started to watch.

And I think the only thing that disappoints me in the series is the way some of the characters seem to flip-flop who you think they are. Especially Hughes and O'Brian. I preferred the more stern Mrs Hughes, who was like the female version of Carson. And I have no idea whose side O'Brian is on. Both it appears. She must be bi-polar
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I am still hitting a bunch of dead-ends trying to find the first two seasons. Our Canadian Netflix told us "it will be in Canada soon but we don't know when". They have been saying that about the Gilmore Girls for 3 years!

We have a "disk in the mail" service called "Zip" and they have it, but the waiting list is really long.

I was given a few links to it online but they were dubious sites wanting my credit card info before telling me they have it and I wasn't about to give it to them.

So, I am staying away from this thread as much as I can until I start watching it so I don't read any spoilers.
Did you try PBS.org? They have a store. I know you live in Canada, but PBS is greedy and will sell to anyone, anywhere. You can get DVDs of any show they air. Or just google PBS/Downton Abby. As for spoilers, everyone here is on their best behavior. It has already aired in England and they aren't telling us anything either.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

I just finished episode 3 UK. It was the episode 2 that I started watching on PBS. I wonder why or how the UK got an extra episode, but it looks like if I picked up watching the shows this Sunday on TV I'll be in sync.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #68
Head Chef

Lol,Buckytom I just love the old dowagers one liners
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, yeah, they're great. i'll have to remember some to paraphrase for future use.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #70
Master Chef

BT, I see from your avatar that you're Dressed for a BBQ.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote