The Great DC Smoke Off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 2 No Smoking for me. I think for irrational reasons such as I avoid medications whenever possible, chantex is not for me.

I stayed up late ( 4 am) reading and got up at Noon my time. Now if I go to bed on time tonight, it will make the day-time shorter and will be manageable. It is too cold to go outside and hence onward to the store, and have no desire to do so if I think about it, like I am at this moment.

I think I better work on short term strategies to occupy my time for when I really start getting the crawlies. I didn't plan this well enough in advance beyond I am going to quit smoking and let my Dx know on superbowl sunday she isn't invited over anytime soon ( she smokes too). Oh, and I quit drinking coffee a week ago, mostly. I tend to smoke more in the mornings with coffee. The morning is gone.

You're on your way Whiska, good for you!! I only smoked outside as I didn't want a nasty smelling house or subjecting my DH to second hand smoke. I know if I lived where you do this time of year, it would have been out of the question for someone like me who hates cold. Maybe I would have quit sooner.

Keep in mind that millions of people quit smoking long before Chantex, Nicotine Patches, or Ecigs. I applaud you!

Hang on, one day, or one moment at a time! We are all in your corner!

Keep in mind that millions of people quit smoking long before Chantex, Nicotine Patches, or Ecigs. I applaud you!

Hang on, one day, or one moment at a time! We are all in your corner!

+1. My dad quit cold turkey, he was a guy who always had a cig in his mouth when I was growing up. I remember as a little kid, an ash fell on my lifejacket when we were in the boat, and set it on fire. He ripped the lifejacket off me and threw it in the lake, ablaze. He'd use his pants cuffs as an ash tray, drove Mom nuts. My mom would either chain smoke, or not smoke at all. She was able to quit completely before she died, but by that time was pretty much a recluse.

+1. My dad quit cold turkey, he was a guy who always had a cig in his mouth when I was growing up. I remember as a little kid, an ash fell on my lifejacket when we were in the boat, and set it on fire. He ripped the lifejacket off me and threw it in the lake, ablaze. He'd use his pants cuffs as an ash tray, drove Mom nuts. My mom would either chain smoke, or not smoke at all. She was able to quit completely before she died, but by that time was pretty much a recluse.

By the time Dad quit smoking he had 2 daughters who smoked. He quit after a bad bout of bronchitis and noticing his 3 year old was picking up butts from the ashtray, play smoking them. Dad went cold turkey, but he still, after 40 years, has toothpicks in his front pocket to stick in his mouth after a meal. He would have me convinced it was just to clean his teeth if he didn't stick his right hand in his pants pocket to get his lighter...:rolleyes:

By the time Dad quit smoking he had 2 daughters who smoked. He quit after a bad bout of bronchitis and noticing his 3 year old was picking up butts from the ashtray, play smoking them. Dad went cold turkey, but he still, after 40 years, has toothpicks in his front pocket to stick in his mouth after a meal. He would have me convinced it was just to clean his teeth if he didn't stick his right hand in his pants pocket to get his lighter...:rolleyes:

I grew up in an era when everyone's parents smoked, even the doctors. And of course our parents were horrified when us kids all picked up the habit! I first lit up in front of my mom when I came home for a visit during my freshman year of college, after having sneaking cigs since I was 13. She said she was disappointed, but because I was 18, there was nothing she could do about it.

Last edited:
I grew up in an era when everyone's parents smoked, even the doctors. And of course our parents were horrified when us kids all picked up the habit! I first lit up in front of my mom when I came home for a visit during my freshman year of college, after having sneaking cigs since I was 13. She said she was disappointed, but because I was 18, there was nothing she could do about it.

The only adult who didn't smoke was Mom. And you are right about the Doctor, he would light up in his office while he talked over what he had decided after the exam.

The only adult who didn't smoke was Mom. And you are right about the Doctor, he would light up in his office while he talked over what he had decided after the exam.

Yup. My parents were good friends with all the doctors in our little town, everyone smoked! And teachers and administrators too. I remember our principal carrying a pack in his pocket in order to lose weight and keep it off. My HS Journalism teacher encouraged us to bring the cellophane from our cigarette packs in order to scribe drawings and cartoons. When I first started in education, milleniums ago, we smoked in the teacher's lounge, and after school, in the classroom.

Last edited:
Yup. My parents were good friends with all the doctors in our little town, everyone smoked! And teachers and administrators too. I remember our principal carrying a pack in his pocket in order to lose weight and keep it off. When I first started in education, milleniums ago, we smoked in the teacher's lounge, and after school, in the classroom.
In California it was illegal to smoke on school grounds, even back in the '60s. The teachers' lounge was deemed to be not-part-of-the-school. :LOL:

When I was in high school the teachers didn't smoke because they were nuns.:ROFLMAO:

A girl was automatically expelled if she was reported smoking anywhere in public at any time of the day or night, in uniform or not.

I made sure I was never seen. :ermm:

My parents were non-smokers. But most of my friends parents smoked. I guess they were not in the "in crowd". Come to think of it, few of my relatives smoked. I cannot remember anyone close to me growing up that smoked.

Glad smoking is a non issue for me now. No needs or wants. Remarkable how one can smoke for over 40 years and not hardly remember it.
This was my key to sustained abstinence.
All the other times I quit, I was still craving cigarettes. This time is different. It worked this time.

Good luck to those trying and even better luck staying off them.

Pro tip for teenagers. If you go to the local store to pick up a pack of smokes "for your dad" make sure you ask for the brand he smokes, not a different kind. Otherwise the old shop owner will refuse you and say get out of here. Growing up I smoked non filter Pall Mall Straights, just so I could save a dime and not use the machine at the gas station for filtered cigarettes.

--

Day 4. So far I have burned each hand in the oven or on a hot pan and cut my R index finger almost needed stitches. And I located a 9 x 13 pan sitting on a chair in the back hallway rather than in the sink so it could get washed. And here I think I've been Paying Attention. Now, after 3 days, aren't we supposed to have something magic happen, like all the stored nicotine has been expelled from your body or something?

I am pretty sure I have a minor case of the itchies and twitchies and feel a little intolerant and impatient with just about Everything.

I ran out of milk, but I think it is far too dangerous to leave the house. I have to dibble my toes back in society next Wednesday, but I'm not going to stress about that today.

Pro tip for teenagers. If you go to the local store to pick up a pack of smokes "for your dad" make sure you ask for the brand he smokes, not a different kind. Otherwise the old shop owner will refuse you and say get out of here. Growing up I smoked non filter Pall Mall Straights, just so I could save a dime and not use the machine at the gas station for filtered cigarettes.

--

Day 4. So far I have burned each hand in the oven or on a hot pan and cut my R index finger almost needed stitches. And I located a 9 x 13 pan sitting on a chair in the back hallway rather than in the sink so it could get washed. And here I think I've been Paying Attention. Now, after 3 days, aren't we supposed to have something magic happen, like all the stored nicotine has been expelled from your body or something?

I am pretty sure I have a minor case of the itchies and twitchies and feel a little intolerant and impatient with just about Everything.

I ran out of milk, but I think it is far too dangerous to leave the house. I have to dibble my toes back in society next Wednesday, but I'm not going to stress about that today.

The nicotine is gone, what is left over is the physical behaviors you are fighting, that something to do with your hands. This is the part that is tough, crossword puzzles help, playing solitaire on the computer. Your brain is concentrating on what it thinks it has forgotten (that's why you found a pan on a chair)...because it knows something is missing. Your logical brain knows what it is, but your illogical brain is going "WTF?"

Tell people, I'm sorry if I snarl, but I quit smoking. Thanks for tolerating my behavior. Then refuse to discuss methods, etc. Because it keeps it in the forefront of your mind. Tell folks it's too distressing and they are not helping by continuing to mention it.

You are doing great!

"...Tell people, I'm sorry if I snarl, but I quit smoking. Thanks for tolerating my behavior. Then refuse to discuss methods, etc. Because it keeps it in the forefront of your mind. Tell folks it's too distressing and they are not helping by continuing to mention it."

I think this is good advice. Cross word puzzles are good for short bursts of concentration too. I know I have been doing a lot of avoidance stuff, although with best intentions about not smoking. I talk w/ DxW one-two times day on the phone so I am in touch w the outside world. I asked her to not come over. I am bloated on snacks, I guess that's ok too for now.
I probably won't mention to anyone I'm not smoking unless someone else brings up the subject or is necessary to announce this in advance or if I am in a situation where smoking is present, then I will have to leave the room or go do something else for a little while. It's like when many years ago it was a wise idea among other things to stay out of bars. But heck, I wouldn't want to miss out on all the other great stuff they serve in cheap plastic baskets like great hamburgers and chicken wings and wide screen sports TV's. The rest of the atmosphere doesn't bother me. Right Now, I don't think I trust myself and am on a Very Short Leash.

I willfully didn't look at this thread yesterday just so I wouldn't dwell on the subject.

The reason I even Found that baking dish in the back hallway is I was intent on going through all my coats and jackets hanging there in case there was a partial pack in one of the pockets. I still haven't completed that little scavenger hunt yet, although I'm pretty certain I already checked early in the week to make sure there weren't any cigarettes anywhere in the house. So why bother. Ash trays are washed and sitting in the dish drainer.

Oh, and my eyeglasses are clean and clear all day. Here I thought I sweated and my eyes teared up and make them always seem foggy. Nada mas.

Thanks for your support ladies. I / we all need all the help we can get. I know this thread started with R_J moving to e-cigs. He did invite others to join in. I think he and Mrs R_J are off to a warmer climate again. I hope this is still working out for them.

I really enjoy reading your reports Whiska, you're one charming fella.

I remember trying to quit years ago when it seemed everyone smoked and you were the odd one out walking around in a cloud of smoke. Ykies, that was tough.

Now the smoker is the odd one out and socially it's just not acceptable anywhere anymore. I got so sick of people looking at me like I didn't have a brain in my head. I still resent people with a "holier than thou" attitude for any reason and I think the rebel in me kept me smoking longer. You're doing what's best for you and no one else.

I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat

--

This what I have been talking about. There is no reason to struggle like this. But I guess we must all find our own way. Good luck!

I don't smoke, but I am very proud of you who wish to quit. Papa used the Blu e-cigarette when he was here, and he enjoyed it.

He used those inside our home, and in Joy, and he was so grateful I found these for him.

I wish I could tell him to quit the real cigarettes but that is too disrespectful.

With love,
~Cat

Disrespectful? Not sure I get it?

I do understand sometimes its just best to keep quite. Probably like I should right now. But I am curious as to why telling him would be disrespectful?

Because in ~Cat's (and her Father's) culture it is disrespectful to tell your parents to do anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom