"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

The great grilled cheese sammich controversy

okay, for your basic grilled cheese, i learned to cook them at 7, threw the butter into the pan before my bread & cheese, then added my bread & swirled it around.
now SOME poeple, namedly jake, my dear beloved Grandmother, my bother, my mom, & my childhood buddy jennifer, like to waste precious time by letting butter slooooowwwwwly soften or else tear holes in delicate slices of fresh bread buttering them with cold chunks of it.
i'm apparantly not gonna win this one....

i GOTTA ask though, when you cook a grilled cheese, what way is yours cooked?

i gotta add, people love my grilled cheeses, my cronies used to BEG me for them & now jakes does, too. so who makes the better sammich?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Everyone knows that the correct way to make a grilled cheese sandwich is to throw the butter in the pan first then put the sandwich in and swirl it around and press it down. Anything else is just foolishness

Old 07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Master Chef

I always keep a stick of butter out on the counter at room temperature, so I slather it on the side of each piece of bread, but I also put some in the pan. I don't press them down and I like my grilled cheese sandwiches extra crispy with a little bit of mustard. I guess what I'm saying is I do it your way and their way. My favorite cheese to use is Colby or Colby/Jack.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

It's simply too easy to put the butter in the pan. Any other way means more effort.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

OH boy, I take a ramekin melt the butter in the microwave then brush it on one side of the bread, put the sammich in the warmed pan and brush the other side...Any leftover butter, the sammich gets revisited I know I know I just dirtied a dish and brush..pfsssst.
kades
Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

I butter my bread first but I use I can't believe it's not butter spread which is always soft and spreadable. I also put a little on the pan but not much. My MIL would take the stick of margarine and just rub a bit on the hot pan and then put the sandwich on which made it pretty dry and not very flavorful.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I keep a stick of butter in the fridge just for buttering pans. I do that for grilled cheese, eggs, omelets, quesadillas...
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I use mostly homemade bread which tends not to tear and rip like the cheap store breads. But when I did use the standard white sandwich bread, it was always far easier to melt the butter in the pan and just let the bread soak it all in
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Master Chef

I like grilled cheese panini , which I make by buttering top and bottom of the sandwich before putting on the panini grill. I don't use store bought bread , I use my artisan bread .
Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Stick in a covered dish, buttered bread into medium high heated skillet for plain sandwich, it's american and swiss slices, buttered other bread, then flip when bottom browned past golden & crisp. Fancy? Sky's the limit.

bob