"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Cook

Wow! I just got an italian sub from the deli down the street for only $5.75. And it was yummy!

Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

Although I haven't bought more than bagels there yet, we have a new "Taste of New York" deli/bagel shop here, & their sandwiches are outrageously priced - like $12 to $18 each. They do say that there's a pound or more of meat per sandwich &, if requested, they'll include extra bread (I guess so you can make a 2nd sandwich out of it). I have a feeling they might not make out here - this simply isn't the area for $18 sandwiches.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Location, location, location = overprice, gouging. Just say no.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Although I haven't bought more than bagels there yet, we have a new "Taste of New York" deli/bagel shop here, & their sandwiches are outrageously priced - like $12 to $18 each. They do say that there's a pound or more of meat per sandwich &, if requested, they'll include extra bread (I guess so you can make a 2nd sandwich out of it). I have a feeling they might not make out here - this simply isn't the area for $18 sandwiches.
Wow. That's a lotta dough, breezy.

What also came to mind is Arby's. Is it really roast beef? Doesn't taste like it - and it's grey.

I think with any negative, there's a positive solution. What I'd like to see, if I could re deli/sammiches - start a biz with homemade brisket/pastrami/corned beef sammiches with homemade potato/pasta salads etc. - not a bag o chips - at a reasonable price.

I think there's a market out there for home made good sammiches, without paying $12-18. Mentioned some time ago 'bout an Italian deli I loved. The sandwiches were amazing, with fresh cans o tuna, Italian subs, meatballs, eggplant - all home made.

Food for thought.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Wow. That's a lotta dough, breezy.

What also came to mind is Arby's. Is it really roast beef? Doesn't taste like it - and it's grey.

I think with any negative, there's a positive solution. What I'd like to see, if I could re deli/sammiches - start a biz with homemade brisket/pastrami/corned beef sammiches with homemade potato/pasta salads etc. - not a bag o chips - at a reasonable price.

I think there's a market out there for home made good sammiches, without paying $12-18. Mentioned some time ago 'bout an Italian deli I loved. The sandwiches were amazing, with fresh cans o tuna, Italian subs, meatballs, eggplant - all home made.

Food for thought.
A pound of meat in a sammie? Plueeze, then all you read is that we americans are over weight!!! I'd rather buy the deli meat and fixings, and do my own..You can at least pick the amount you want, plus even though it is expensive, the flavor is wonderful and it's not been sitting in a tray all day pre-sliced and waiting. Fresh lettuce, onion, tomato, dressing and some wonderful homemade or bakery bread is worth the time andif you choose carefully not as expensive. Heck even if the cost was to be equal, homemade is well worth the trouble..I do think though that balking at the price might help over time..I did it not to long ago, ordered 4 loaves of bread, bill 25 bucks, I told them to keep it I wasn't paying that when I could have made it for a lot less and even store bread as high as it's gotten was cheaper, I know but not as nice They, looked surprised, but I got that bread for 3 dollars a loaf! Good post Mish.
kadesma