The Language thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree expat!:LOL:

I'm not saying they dodn't know what "buggery" meant. I'm just saying they don't have the same connotations associated to the word as others do.

I often hear the expression, "cute little bugger." Now I am not a far northerner as in Canada or a real deep southerner as in Brownsville, Texas. But here in Mass. it means an adorable toddler. I never knew it may have another connotation until today. How educational! :angel:

Isnt lovely?

Even in Sweden we have this, barn and unge means child but in half of Sweden one is sad lovingly and the other one is used as insult, how ever it is the opposite for the other side of Sweden. It get interesting some times.

Isnt lovely?

Even in Sweden we have this, barn and unge means child but in half of Sweden one is sad lovingly and the other one is used as insult, how ever it is the opposite for the other side of Sweden. It get interesting some times.

In Italian, there is an expression that can be said two ways. Facia Bruta`. One said with a sneer and nasty look can mean ugly face. An insult to the recipient. The other said with a smile and up tone means cute little face. Usually directed toward a child. :angel:

We also have to distinguish between sarcasms, insults and/or innuendos, plus others I probably can't think of.

Colloquialism such as in Quebec someone in shock is considered to be "in a rainbow" "dans arc en ciel" but it is not used elsewhere (that I know of).

And yes, people really do say offda and offda nei in Minnesota.

I have seen this and KNOW it to be true. So say I, so say we all :yum:.

I at the moment need more and better euphemisms for cursewords. I don't like to use foul language, particularly around my wife or other ladies. I feel it is vulgar, unnecessary and impolite.

However, the moving process is giving me more stubbed toes, things dropped on my feet, bashed shins, funny spot on the elbow, and bashed foreheads than my normal six month average in a week. I'm running out of clever imprecations, exultations, and 'ations of any kind.

And let me tell you, friends, there are only so many times in a day you can say, 'God's bloody bodkin', or 'milk and sugar' before your wife starts to look at you kind of strangely.

TBS

poor you foxy - moving is NOT fun

my sister's favourite is "Oh Fudge!"

wish I could learn to say that instead of what I do... :wacko::(

a word I hate and think is even more than vulgar, but out it pops - especially when I'm tired or stressed...

Ask Taxlady! think she was beginning to look at me and edge over to the far side of the lunch table - except it was round! LOL :ROFLMAO:

erehweslefox: You could start saying Attans (18 devils) or Sjutton ( 17 devils), Nedrans ( means from below, people use it as drats) and then you can go for Satans helvete faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the last one is only used when everything goes to hel.

My brother, when he was little, used, "Son of a fish!" My grandpa's fave was, "Judas Priest!"

erehweslefox: You could start saying Attans (18 devils) or Sjutton ( 17 devils), Nedrans ( means from below, people use it as drats) and then you can go for Satans helvete faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the last one is only used when everything goes to hel.

Like this much, one of my faves is the russian к черту (K cherortu). Means to the devil, I think similar idea though I have but the one. This is often muttered under my breath at the bookstore when things Go Wrong.

I was visiting my son's future Italian in-laws from Naples, for the first time. They knew my family grew up here in an Italian neighborhood. They asked me if I could speak Italian.

"Only the good words." They knew exactly what I meant. 'Nuf said. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom