The Melting Pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Who has been and what were your impressions?

We are going Saturday with some friends of ours. I have heard mixed reviews of this place. Basically what I have taken from it is that it is way too expensive and the food is mediocre, but we will have a very good time.

For those that have been, does that sound accurate?

I am pretty excited to be going. I am going in with low expectations for the food, but the friends we will be with are a lot of fun. They are our eating/drinking friends and we always have a blast when we are with them. Plus we are leaving the kids with the grandparents so this will be an actual date night which we have not had in a while.

I've not been but friends of ours have. They say it is expensive but you do get a lot of food. They went with their college aged daughter for her birthday and got some dinner meal that was for 2 and the 3 of them shared and had plenty. I'd like to try it sometime myself. I'll look forward to your take on the place.

I haven't been but friends tell me it's best to go out for dinner then go to the Melting Pot for dessert.

What is their reasoning Andy?

They thought the entree fondues were less interesting than the desserts. Of course, it's all personal opinion.

I was turned off to fondues by my ex so I may never go.

DW and I love fondue. We had a great chicken fondue for our New Year celebration. The liquid was chicken stock with veggies. You then cooked the chicken in the broth and dipped it into various sauces. After the chicken was gone you drank the broth with veggies.

We've been and I agree that the food is just OK ... bland... it's really fun though and it's different. Very expensive for what you get. That being said....... DESSERT ROCKS!! Get the white and milk chocolate mix!!! Oh my goodness!!! It's heaven!

I've only heard bad things about it, sorry. Overpriced, crappy food, chain restaurant vibe, etc. But I have NOT been myself.

It's totally not my kind of place though. There's one close to my office and it doesn't seem that busy.

I adore cheese fondue -- probably my very favorite food -- but am very picky about it.

What you are describing with the chicken and broth is shabu-shabu.

There are a number of great shabu places in Boston and environs. Shabu-zen has a couple of restaurants. You might want to try one. They are really fun.

Also, check out Chowhound for reviews

I've only heard bad things about it, sorry. Overpriced, crappy food, chain restaurant vibe, etc. But I have NOT been myself.
That is basically what I have heard too. The couple we are going with are the type of people who we would have fun with no matter what so even if the food is as bad as I am expecting we are still going to have a lot of fun. plus, they can't screw up chocolate so that part of the meal will be good :LOL:

OK, I clicked on this expecting to see some kind of stuff about geography and immigration. The Melting Pot is a restaurant?

My sister and I went to the one up in her neck of the woods up in Alpharetta area, and didn't realize that we needed to make reservations for one. So we decided to wait 45 minutes for a table to open up, but decided to leave after 15 minutes 'cause she was too hungry to wait. What also threw me off was the smell. It was probably the oil in the pots but the smell was a bit off-setting. Not good for a first impression. We'll probably try again at a later date (complete with reservation) and brave the smell and see how it is compared with our favorite Fondue place called 'Dante's Down The Hatch' in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.

Here is a link to the restaurant. If you put 01821 in the zip code finder you can Click on one of the choices it pulls up and you can then view the menu that way.

Who has been and what were your impressions?

Basically what I have taken from it is that it is way too expensive and the food is mediocre, but we will have a very good time.

exactly.

It is a good time, and worth doing once, but in all honesty...you could do the same thing at home for a third the price, but it IS a good time.

GB - no matter what you will have a good time becaue of the company you will be with!

I went several years ago - it was a llllooooonnnnnggggg meal - you cook EVERYTHING yourself - all meats, seafoods, veggies, etc. and you eat very sssssllllooooowwwwww because each piece takes a while to cook. Another thing I remember was that we "smelled" when we got home -- my said we smelled like fried shrimp. Its fun to try and glad I did but I wouldn't eat dinner there again - maybe cheese fondue and dessert! But like I said, you are going to have fun so enjoy!

GB, you have heard the truth. We use to have a better fondue restaurant years ago; this one is expensive and subpar. I would have to agree with Andy--dine elsewhere and have dessert there if you feel you must experience the place.

Or better yet, invite the couple over and make fondue at home. Raclette anyone?

Same here, we have gone twice so far. The first time we did everything, first the veggies and appetizers then the surf and turf entree then the dessert.
The second time around we had dinner elsewhere and just had the dessert. For the two of us doing everything plus only a couple drinks plus tip it was $160. The second time we spent around $80 I believe with drinks and dessert and tip.
Yes it does take a long time to go thru everything as you cook it then dip it ect as you go along. But, we also had a lot of fun doing it too, and really enjoyed the time there. One of those things where we remembered more about the time spent then the food consumed, except for the dessert!! That part was awesome...

Back
Top Bottom