The Thankfulness Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Generac Generator - best investment I ever made.

It comes on by itself when the power goes out and turns itself off when the power comes back. Keeps my freezers going, my sump pump, the well, not to mention I have TV and my computer. :)

Had sporadic power all morning and finally went out around 11 am. It is now 2 am and still no power. 15 hours now without.

Heading for bed, sure hopes it comes on before morning.

These generators are made here, right where I live. They have a really good reputation as generators and as an employer. I'm thankful that you're thankful!

These generators are made here, right where I live. They have a really good reputation as generators and as an employer. I'm thankful that you're thankful!

We still have families without power or heat from the gas explosions a short while back. The space eaters that the gas company provided for these families, is pathetic. It is the kind you would put under your desk at work if the heat was on low. A five year old could easily pick one up. Now the gas company is offering extra blankets to those home who still are without heat. What a big heart! NOT!

It could have been worse. Much worse.

While moving a snow brush from the front seat of Loverly's car to the back, I bumped the brush end against something in the back. The scraper end jabbed me right at the edge of my eye socket bone. :Shock: Pretty, huh?

Loverly's line is "you should see the other guy!"
IMG_20190103_230538751.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes, CG! That was a close one - glad you're OK! Hopefully the bruising doesn't look even worse tomorrow. :(

Last edited:
It doesn't hurt at all, taxy. I even have my contact lenses in! Cheryl, this photo is kinda day two - about 28 hours after I dinged myself. It wasn't until I got home and gave a good look in the mirror that I realized how big of a bullet I dodged. Very thankful for that.

It doesn't hurt at all, taxy. I even have my contact lenses in! Cheryl, this photo is kinda day two - about 28 hours after I dinged myself. It wasn't until I got home and gave a good look in the mirror that I realized how big of a bullet I dodged. Very thankful for that.

That was my first thought upon seeing the photo..

Glad it is no worse that that..

Ross

Don't, don't, don't...cringing just thinking about it. So glad you are okay and I hope it heals quickly.

Yeah, I was very lucky. Blessed, even.

JC, I was glad, too. ~ PF, since it doesn't hurt I don't mind the look. Might evoke sympathy. Or maybe it makes me look dangerous. ;) ~ Dawg, I wasn't exactly planning on doing it this time! :LOL: If I even look like I'm going to be clumsy like this again, I might start to wear a hockey goalie's mask. Start a new fashion statement even! ~ GG, ditto.

Himself and I are very thankful for our kind neighbor across the street. Before we went to OH for the holidays, we had given him our garage door opener and access to our snow blower in case we needed to have our driveway cleared when we were ready to come back. Of course the deal included him using it for his own drive. :LOL: When we got back, we told him to hang on to the opener and use our snow blower whenever he needed it. Since then he's cleared our driveway each snowfall. He even apologized last week when he didn't have time and Himself had to do the snow blowing! :heart: In exchange, I've been running food over to the family whenever we get snow. I think this time I might make a loaf of bread...

It could have been worse. Much worse.

While moving a snow brush from the front seat of Loverly's car to the back, I bumped the brush end against something in the back. The scraper end jabbed me right at the edge of my eye socket bone. :Shock: Pretty, huh?

Loverly's line is "you should see the other guy!"
View attachment 32878

You silly girl! Knock those antics off.

So Lewis Mall made arrangements for me to go to the Emergency Clinic to have my coumadin levels checked on Saturday and Sunday. Well no show for Saturday, so I wasn't expecting the van to come Sunday either. Surprise. After a three hour wait, I finally was able to return home. With the understanding that I would go to Lewis Mall this morning for a follow-up. About nine this morning there was a knock at my door. I thought it was the driver. Instead it was two nurses who came to my home, and checked my levels in the comfort of my own home. Bless their hearts. The last thing I wanted to do was go out at the tail end of our snow storm. And our maintenance crew had just started to remove the snow from the parking lot. There was no place to park the van and lower the lift.

I can honestly say I have no complaints regarding my life this past month. A new made to order wheelchair, the first fitting for my leg, and on and on. I have a whole medical community taking care of me and making sure I get to enjoy my new leg at the end of this month.

I told the building manager, that as soon as I feel like I can walk, I am going to walk from the front door to the sidewalk at the edge of the parking lot. Something I have never been able to do since I moved in here. She wants to take pictures of it happening. I am just hoping that the weather is warm enough at the beginning of April.

I am so ever grateful for all the friends I have made here in DC. You all have given me the encouragement to keep trying and not quitting.

And lastly, I have a very dear friend who lives in Georgia. I was so concerned with her safety and that of her daughter and father. He is 99 y.o. And still working. Two houses down from her home, got blown away. Her home was untouched. I finally heard from her.

Prayers do get answered.

Himself and I are very thankful for our kind neighbor across the street. Before we went to OH for the holidays, we had given him our garage door opener and access to our snow blower in case we needed to have our driveway cleared when we were ready to come back. Of course the deal included him using it for his own drive. :LOL: When we got back, we told him to hang on to the opener and use our snow blower whenever he needed it. Since then he's cleared our driveway each snowfall. He even apologized last week when he didn't have time and Himself had to do the snow blowing! :heart: In exchange, I've been running food over to the family whenever we get snow. I think this time I might make a loaf of bread...

Wrap it is a nice clean dish towel as soon as it comes out of the oven and rush it over to her to enjoy while it is still hot. I bet it will never make it to her dinner table. Be prepared to sit and chat with a tub of butter between the two of you while you both demolish that loaf.

Very nice, CG! I'm sure they'll love a loaf of your fresh baked bread. :heart: I know I would. Great neighbors are definitely worth their weight in gold. I adore mine. One has a little boy about my grandson's age, and they play together often after school. Another brings in my trash bin off the curb on trash day when he brings his in from the curb. (I reciprocate when he doesn't beat me to it! :LOL:) We all let each other know when we'll be out of town, look out for each other's property, and pick up mail from mailboxes if needed. Casseroles, tupperwares of soup, and baked goodies are often exchanged.

All of them throw Tyler's foam rubber baseballs back into my yard when he gets a little over excited and 'accidentally' bats them over the fences. :huh::LOL:

Last edited:
Cheryl, good neighbors are a rare commodity these days. With recent turnover in our neighborhood, I know fewer and fewer of them. As long as they don't cause problems, it's all good.

Wrap it is a nice clean dish towel as soon as it comes out of the oven and rush it over to her to enjoy while it is still hot...
Thanks for that unsolicited advice, Addie. :rolleyes: That ain't gonna happen, though. First of all, I see him around more than her - he works out of the house when he doesn't absolutely have to go into the office. Good thing, too, since she's a professional photographer with a studio. She's gone from the house more than he is. What with three kids between 5-ish and 12-ish in school and activities, I'll probably end up hanging the loaf from their doorknob in a grocery bag.

I came this><close to a car crash

I took a drive to Aldi for a milk run (yes, I did buy more than just milk :LOL: ) and decided to take a country state route home. Lovely day, late afternoon sunshine that was warm enough for opening the roof vent and a back window. The road is a bit winding and has some hills. While climbing up from a small valley after crossing a river, the road takes a 90-degree turn to the left. As I come around the turn there in front of me, probably 50-75 feet away, is a gray SUV in my lane and heading towards me fast! Or at least I perceived it as fast. I braked on a dime (gave myself 9 cents change, I did) and did a little maneuver to the right. Thankfully, the other driver realized what was happening and swerved to HIS (her?) right and got into his lane. His driver's side corner could not have missed my driver's side by any more than two feet. :ohmy: And here I thought I had a close call driving home from errands on Tuesday. That adventure had me braking and swerving, narrowly avoiding being T-boned by what must be the world's largest raccoon. Come around a different curve and *bam* a slow-moving boulder in the middle of the road. He didn't hit me either.

I am not leaving my house tomorrow, unless it's only the front porch.

Back
Top Bottom