"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #161
Master Chef

Kay, my heart too would've gone through the roof at such a phone call. I'm relieved your grandson is OK, and sending up prayers for the grieving family at the same time. Makes you want to pick up the phone and call every close family member and tell them they're loved, doesn't it.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #162
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Kayelle, that must have been a real heart-stopping phone call. I'm so glad you know that your Jacob is fine. Like you said, it's a very sad day for the family of the Jacob who died. I'll keep them in my thoughts today. You too, as you enjoy the blessing of a still-intact family.

I hope Souschef has been able to peel you off of your ceiling.
That man is my rock.
I'm so glad he was here at the time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ya know what? My old friends and HS classmates are dropping like flies with health issues and death and stuff.

I am still thrilled to pieces that I am still upright, mobile on my own two legs, and can do anything I want!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 AM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ya know what? My old friends and HS classmates are dropping like flies with health issues and death and stuff.

I am still thrilled to pieces that I am still upright, mobile on my own two legs, and can do anything I want!
Every day one of my kids tell me of one of their school friends has died from an overdose. I am so grateful that none of my kids are on the stuff. MY hope is that they all outlive me.

Also at least once a week, one person in this building goes out in an ambulance. Some come back and some don't. I am grateful that I have returned from every trip I have had to make in an ambulance.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Every day one of my kids tell me of one of their school friends has died from an overdose. I am so grateful that none of my kids are on the stuff. MY hope is that they all outlive me.
Every day??? Really?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #166
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Today I am thankful for a surprising discovery - my next door neighbour became active in her garden and the tall obstacle that overshadowed much of my back patio is now gone! I now have more light in my kitchen (overlooking the garden) and the SUN can now shine on previously shaded plants!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What a nice surprise, Creative!
Old 04-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #168
Master Chef

Just Two Hours

Two hours. That's all it took for Himself to pull out the old garbage disposal, clean everything out including the pipe between the two sink drains (actually, I got the part of scrubbing the gunk from that pipe - whoopie!), and get everything back together AND working right! No leaks, no power mishaps. Just like he was a plumber. To think of all of the money he saved us by doing it himself!

He's always said he'd rather do an electrical job rather than a plumbing job because "electricity doesn't leak". Well in this case, the water didn't leak either.

Now we're just waiting on the right part we need to fix the leak in the faucet. The customer service agent said it was on a three-week back order. I have a couple more weeks of dumping water from the collection bucket to look forward to...
Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Two hours. That's all it took for Himself to pull out the old garbage disposal, clean everything out including the pipe between the two sink drains (actually, I got the part of scrubbing the gunk from that pipe - whoopie!), and get everything back together AND working right! No leaks, no power mishaps. Just like he was a plumber. To think of all of the money he saved us by doing it himself!

He's always said he'd rather do an electrical job rather than a plumbing job because "electricity doesn't leak". Well in this case, the water didn't leak either.

Now we're just waiting on the right part we need to fix the leak in the faucet. The customer service agent said it was on a three-week back order. I have a couple more weeks of dumping water from the collection bucket to look forward to...
CG I am glad you have solved your disposal problem. Pirate is a plumber, and he used to get so many senseless calls for the disposal. Just some reminders for all.

NEVER put grease down your drain. With or without a disposal.

Never any banana peels, rice, etc.

Please read your manual.

To keep your blades sharp, put ice cubes in the disposal.

If you have an odor coming up, send down a lemon, or any citrus to freshen it and get rid of the odor.

Always run the cold water, not hot when using the disposal.

That is all I can remember at this time.

Now with any luck that part will come in soon.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #170
Master Chef

Addie, why do you have to do that? Why do you have to treat a lot of us at DC like clueless know-nothings? Admit it, you give out a lot of unsolicited advice to people who know how things work.

Since 1977, Himself and I have owned four houses, three of which we contracted to build. We did a little extra insulating while the first two houses were being built, since we were in the area. We installed telephone jacks in every room (except the bathrooms) in our second house. Himself, a computer tech guy, even had a connection board in the basement that each room's line was wired into, in case we wanted to "kill" the line to a room. You know, if we had to take phone privileges from a kid. Heh Heh.

During our nearly-40 years of home ownership we've (mostly HE) has replaced heating elements in electric water heaters, run cable so we can pull in antenna TV signals in more rooms than this house was originally wired for, installed extra electrical outlets in basements and garages, built a deck... I could go on and on. Just because Himself isn't an electrician, or a plumber, or a woodworker (although he built a room divider shelving unit when we lived in our apartment with a balcony - we've used that in all three houses, too) does not mean that is incapable of doing the job, and doing it right. And I have enough common sense to know how to use equipment properly and review an owner's manual. Except that you tend to treat people like they don't. It's annoying and a little bit demeaning. Just sayin'...