"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Master Chef

The Wedding

My daughter's wedding went extraordinarily well. She had the time of her life. There were a bunch of guests and I cooked for four days to get everything ready. I made fresh yeast-raised doughnut holes, glazed of course, and a ton of profiteroles filled with everthing from stabilized chocolate whipped cream to chantily cream, to pastry cream. There were filo-crust tarts filled with key-limy pie filling, and various other pastries as well. I wanted to make pecan-pie tarts, again with the filo dough crust but ran out of time. My son and I pulled a 24 hour cooking stint (yep, an all day and all nighter) to get everything done on time. I also barbecued 2 hams and two turkeys on my son's gas grill. I have determined that I truly detest gas grills. They only seem to have two temperatures, off, and 600 degree flames. The hams were perfect, as was the meat from the turkeys. But the turkey skin was burnt to a crisp on one side of both turkeys. When I tried using only the middle burner of the three burner grill, I couldn't get enough heat to cook the birds. But when I turned on either or both of the other two burners, they flared from dripping turkey fat and became uncontrolable. As I said, the meat was perfect, very juicy and tender. Fortunately, they were sliced and served that way on platters. Nobody but me and my son saw the whole birds.

Everyone raved about the food and said I needed to change my proffesion. personally, I thought the pastries tasted a day or two old (many of them were). But nobody but me seemed to notice. Go figure. But when they were fresh from the oven or oil (depending on which pastries your were eating) they were amazing.

But the food was definitely secondary. I had a lump the size of my fist develop in my throat when I hugged my little girl after the cermony. I had tears when I gave her and her husband a toast at the reception. I got to watch them dance together in coreographed union. Then, I got to dance with my daughter one more time. And best of all, she married a wonderful young man who comes from a loving, but whacky family. Can you believe that her FIL is even more corny than me? I had a hard time believing it when my daughter told me, until I met the man. But he's a good guy just the same, with a lot of love in his heat. I know that my SIL will take good care of my baby.

Unfortunatley, when my son transfered the pictures from my camera to my memory stick (so I could take more pictures of course), most of the food pictures were lost. But I did get a couple of pictures of the seafood linguini and crab-stuffed prawns that my my other son and I prepared for them. And they loved it. I even got a picture of my daughter and her husband eating a single piece of liguini together until their lips met in the middle, a scene straight form "Lady & the Tramp".

As I said at the beginning, everything was perfect. That's all for now. I'll get back onto DC more and post the food pictures I have when I get back to Michigan.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

been thinking about you GW, glad to get the good report...Good Job!

Not quite sure I believe the FIL story

Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Sounds as if the wedding was wonderful, as well as all the food you prepared - must be so proud. You did good !!! Can't wait to see the pic's !
Old 05-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Goodweed, it sounds like a perfect celebration. Your daughter is lucky to have a dad like you. I'm glad it all worked out for you all. Welcome back.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Well done - a lovely lot of memories and a great time. Well done on all the cooking as well.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Mazel Tov!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Okay the way you talked about your daughter just now brought tears to my eyes.
It sounds like everyone is happy and that makes me happy.
The food sounds wonderful. I wish I was there !!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Awwww, thats so wonderful!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

bout time

Thanks bout time you sat down and let us all know how everything went. PERFECT! Just the way I knew it would be. How could anything else go wrong when she's got the best man and family around? What a gift! And I do know how thankful and happy you must be.

Thanks for thinking of us. Just love weddings.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Head Chef

Congratulations to you Goodweed and to your family - absolutely awesome.