"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

The Worst Job You Ever Had? And Why?

One was working part-time as a supermarket checkout girl, while I was in school. The registers were not computerized and no scanners. The guys helped me pass the test by whispering the prices to me. I accidentally rung up a pizza for about $10, and was fired. Thank goodness!

First full-time - working on Wall St, in NY for an insurance company. All the underwriters dumped policies on my desk all day long. When the big clock hit 5 PM, everyone made a beeline to the elevators. B-O-R-I-N-G!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I worked in a plastic factory making inserts,I hated it, it was very fast pace job, the machine I was working at caught fire,it scared me so bad I quit that day... LOL!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Can't wait to hear everyones answers... When I was in highschool I cleaned a dentist office for awhile. I HATE going to the dentist so much that even cleaning the place gave me the willies.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

pds, did you quit, were you fired. We gotta know.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mom worked for the dentist at the time... she quit and my job went bye bye.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #6
Master Chef

I cleaned houses. It was okay, except one house that I didn't like. It was really spooky. Nice house and everything, but, in one room that I was cleaning, I kept getting the feeling that someone was standing behind me. I kept going to the other room that the other girl was cleaning and she was vaccuming. Later, when I got up the nerve to tell her, she said that everyone that went into that room felt the same. They don't tell anyone to see if it happens to others too. We found out that the room belonged to someone that died in their family. I know, weird, but, you would have had to been there and seen for yourself!! I have never had that happen before or since.
I did quit, but, not for that reason, that's just the worst thing that has happened.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
Head Chef

I once worked for a Concrete Products company in Iowa. They made concrete blocks and various other exciting products. My job was to go in there at the end of the day, when everyone had gone home, and clean the pit under the conveyor belt, then go INSIDE the cement mixer with a pneumatic chisel and clean the inside of the mixer, then climb the ladder (outside in Iowa winter) and clean the buildup by hammering the chute so the cement on the inside of it would fall down. When I was done with all that I went into a small control room and monitored some equipment to make sure that the rooms where the concete blocks were curing were maintaining the appropriate temperature.

Yeah.

I quit.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Z. I would have quit after the first day! What hard yucky work!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Telemarketing. We got paid on "commission." 'nuff said.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I've always worked in accounting so most of the jobs were pretty much the same, but I did have a woman boss that I couldn't stand. She never had anything good to say to anyone. One day she got so bad that two of us left at the same time and never went back. I don't think I was paid, but that was the least of my worries. I didn't think I could face another day with a boss like her. Her dad owned the company, or she wouldn't have had the job.