"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #21
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
Oh, this could be my favorite non-food related thread of all! Although, reading it may cause my blood pressure to sky-rocket.

I have a long list of things that people say that I hate, but have never actually written down the list, so I won't remember them all at once. I agree with hating pretty much everything others have posted thus far.

Hackneyed expressions, such as "At the end of the day" and "It is what it is" and "It's all good", top my list.

"Went missing", as in "The child went missing at 5:00 last night" drives me crazy. And newscasters say it all the time.

I hate the reply "whatever", when used to dismiss what I've just said.

A neighbor, one I dislike, says "irregardless" and it irritates me. Another neighbor, one I like very much, says "supposably" and I think it's cute.

Lee
__________________

__________________
QSis is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Oh, this could be my favorite non-food related thread of all! Although, reading it may cause my blood pressure to sky-rocket.

I have a long list of things that people say that I hate, but have never actually written down the list, so I won't remember them all at once. I agree with hating pretty much everything others have posted thus far.

Hackneyed expressions, such as "At the end of the day" and "It is what it is" and "It's all good", top my list.

"Went missing", as in "The child went missing at 5:00 last night" drives me crazy. And newscasters say it all the time.

I hate the reply "whatever", when used to dismiss what I've just said.

A neighbor, one I dislike, says "irregardless" and it irritates me. Another neighbor, one I like very much, says "supposably" and I think it's cute.

Lee
LOL, I knew you'd post here!
__________________

__________________
Jeekinz is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
suziquzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 11,488
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Not so much anything people say.... but...
I cant' stand misplaced' apostrophe's.
:)
__________________
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Not so much anything people say.... but...
I cant' stand misplaced' comma's.
:)
Those are apostrofees.
__________________
Jeekinz is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
suziquzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 11,488
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL I caught that too.
How many people will it take to point out I'm an idiot???
sorry.
__________________
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Extra words in a sentence. I say, Where ar my keys?" My grandchildren in Florida say, "Where are my keys at?"
You hear that a lot in the South. My Grandmother's, and Mother's response was..."Between the A, and the T.....


Where Y'at?........
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
GrillingFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 2,223
I hate the negative agreement.
Such as "you are absolutely right BUT.... "

And the popular use of "BE" "He be going to the movie"....

And could you care less, or couldn't you care less?

And the new shortening of words by adding "y" to the end. Like APPY for appetizer
or NAV-Y for a GPS unit in a car..
I am not much for "cutsie" words like that.

And I could go on and on and on. Poor grammer and speling and speeking just bugs
me to know end.
__________________
GrillingFool is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
DramaQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I hate the negative agreement.
Such as "you are absolutely right BUT.... "

And the popular use of "BE" "He be going to the movie"....

And could you care less, or couldn't you care less?

And the new shortening of words by adding "y" to the end. Like APPY for appetizer
or NAV-Y for a GPS unit in a car..
I am not much for "cutsie" words like that.

And I could go on and on and on. Poor grammer and speling and speeking just bugs
me to know end.
OOhhh, I gotta go with you on all of these. My son's girlfriend used to talk about ordering Veal Parm and I wanted to smack her. How about e-mail addy for address?
Are we too lazy to say the whole word?
Here's another one, when did the comparatives and superlatives stop being used? Emeril says this is "more easy" or "more dry" and last night a newscaster actually said, "this is the most heavier." I wanted to choke.
__________________
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
I feel your pain. I was an English minor in college.

Lots of people use the word "orientated" when they mean 'oriented.' I'm getting better with dangling participles, but they still grate upon the ear I was given.
That one has always bugged me too, as James says it all the time. So when I mentioned this post to him he insisted that I look it up. Well, apparently enough people say it that way that it is now in the dictionary (I looked it up in the Encarta dictionary) both ways. or·i·en·tate

or·i·en·tate [áwree ən tàyt]
(past or·i·en·tat·ed, past participle or·i·en·tat·ed, present participle or·i·en·tat·ing, 3rd person present singular or·i·en·tates)
vt
orient: to orient or be oriented

[Mid-19th century. Back-formation from orientation .]

Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline  
Old 09-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
liberry. it's not a liberry.
__________________

__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.