Things people say that bug you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when I say "to make a long story short" cause I have no intention of doing so----it's going to be long-winded--------I've tried to cure myself of it but it's difficult and I cringe everytime I say it........what's disconcerting is when I infect others with this phrase........:)
My guy will say "to make a long story even longer" or "to make a long story go on forever" :LOL:

i type 'fer' instead of its proper way, also 'er. that's how i say them. (hi, elfie!!:LOL:)

these don't bug me as I find regional words and phrases fascinating but I was with a group of Brits last night for a company going away party and I had to explain "getting out of Dodge", "fit to be tied", and "in the hole"-------and then sat with a group of Kazakhs who could see no difference between the singular " man" and the "plural" men-------I finally conceded that English was a hard language wasn't it?

The things that I say bug me more than anything else and I have a very bad case of hoof in the mouth disease-------stuff just falls out before I have a chance to think it over------I hear it's hereditary as my dad was notorious.........I'm working on it, though......but if you ask my personal opinion then that's a different matter........:):):)

I hate it when people say something "goes south" when there is a problem!

Oh, um... Never mind! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Just teasing of course (I have been known to say that one myself!).

:rolleyes:Barbara

You so berry berry punny!!!!!!! :LOL:

Hey, there's a bottle of wine here I didn't notice - I guess we'll drink it at Thanksgiving - Hob Nob Pinot - - - - it just "appeared". :chef:

Well, there are lots of things that I hear that irritate me a little, but I don't let them bother me that much. I am from Washington and being here on Long Island I do notice that people say Wa(r)shington, though I don't correct them and it seems to be a general assumption that when I say I'm from Washington they automatically think DC. And I hear Auragone, not Oregon - I think the Aura is not gone! :) I don't use abbreviations when I talk OR when I type, I've just never really cared for them at all. I'm sure my grammar is not technically "proper" all the time, but it works.

I never baby talked my kids when they were younger, I taught them the correct words for things and even starting at a few years of age my girls would be confused when someone would use a "baby" word on them, they didn't understand.

It is interesting to listen to the way people talk here as opposed to the West Coast - generally speaking anyway. I know there are transplants all over the place, such as me and my girls :). Some people here have a heavier NY accent than others and when they start talking faster I have to really pay attention to understand. People here ALWAYS ask where I'm from, I tell them the Seattle area and they say "Oh, I could tell, you're way too nice to be a New Yorker". I say thank you and tell them that everyone has the ability to be nice, it's not about where we are from.

And when they say that they know I'm not from around here because of my "accent", I tell them NO, I don't have an accent - THEY do! I just speak the words clearly. haha. (just joking with them) My youngest daughter Megan said "Uh-uh Mom, EVERYONE has an accent!!! :)

I finally conceded that English was a hard language wasn't it?

It still is. :)

......but if you ask my personal opinion then that's a different matter........:):):)

Okay here is today's grammer lesson 101 - Your "personal" opinion is redundant. If it's yours, it's personal. Aint' this fun? I'm loving readng all the things posters have to say.
Seems that a lot of phrases I use bug some people.

Well, since we're hitting on phonetics, I'd like to know why jaguar, jag-wahr, came to be pronounced jag-wire. There's a woman on ESPN who is new on TV and she pronounces it jag-wire. It just doesn't sound right, not that it actually bugs me.

My friend has "mammiograms." But it doesn't bother me. I wish I owned a jagwire.

Well, since we're hitting on phonetics, I'd like to know why jaguar, jag-wahr, came to be pronounced jag-wire. There's a woman on ESPN who is new on TV and she pronounces it jag-wire. It just doesn't sound right, not that it actually bugs me.

I've heard it pronounced jag-oo-are which sounds just as bad in my opinion

Words and people make the world go round........the hardest thing I ever had to do as a "colonist" was to interpret a group of my Scott friends........I never listened so hard in my life.......and I'm pleased to say that I made out about a third of it......I love the way they talk.............and that late late night show host who is in the US (can't think of his name right now) is really funny........believe me, he's really slowing the lingo down so that you can understand him.........well, that's my opinion, anyway

I wished that I owned a jagwire, too.......:):):)

I think I'd probably drive everyone crazy! My speech is positively littered with colloquialisms (as is ya'll hadn't noticed!) And if you actually heard me...... well, let's just say I have a slight southern accent.

But I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I think the phases and pronunciations that are unique to different areas are fascinating. Sometimes, they make no sense at all til a "local" gives you the back story, which is often as amusing as the phrase!

y'all is as a part of me as breathing.......I don't have an accent otherwise.....people are always asking me where I'm from and when I tell them they are shocked "but you don't have an accent"........no, but you will hear "y'all" in every other I sentence.............I know that it bugs other people because they have told me so......too bad......I'm not changing for you or anyone else.....deal with it :)

wow 12 pages so far on this.

I didnt read them all but

any thing out of a policitians mouth
almost all slang that is over used but my top top top top

is

Preggers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom