"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #211
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Poo is my youngest son. He is a Physician Assistant and works in Vermont in the ER of the hospital there. I was there for one year. ... snipped ...
So, not to sound like I'm being nosy or anything, but, you and your son were in Honolulu for 1 year why?

... and a church on the Windward side, I just can't think of a church like that Addie. But there are many that 'don't have all of their walls' it's a tropical thing forsure, to have folding doors to open completely and let the breezes flow through, A/C, electric in general is SO expensive there, well along with everything else for that matter.

I'm so glad that enjoyed your time there... does your son remember any of it? Pity if he doesn't, he should take you back!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #212
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
How beautiful!
Charlie, you must miss home.
It is hard to explain, but I miss friends, places where I had good times. Most of that is gone. The city has mostly been rebuild. A lot of friends are gone. It is not what it used to be. For sure I do not miss or like what is going on there right now. But oh, how beautiful it was ...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #213
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
So, not to sound like I'm being nosy or anything, but, you and your son were in Honolulu for 1 year why?

... and a church on the Windward side, I just can't think of a church like that Addie. But there are many that 'don't have all of their walls' it's a tropical thing forsure, to have folding doors to open completely and let the breezes flow through, A/C, electric in general is SO expensive there, well along with everything else for that matter.

I'm so glad that enjoyed your time there... does your son remember any of it? Pity if he doesn't, he should take you back!
My husband wanted to see what the commercial fishing was like there. And I wanted to come back to New England. I gave him one year and then I headed back home.

Like I said, I never got windward and leeward straight. If I was standing and facing toward the big island. Would that be windward?

Yeah, my son remembers a lot of it. He loved the school he was in. They tested him when he first started, and put him in an advanced science class. He came home so excited.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #214
Head Chef

Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #215
Master Chef

Oh, dear, Kaneohe, you make me so homesick sometimes.

I'm actually from nowhere and everywhere. Daddy was in the Air Force, then I enlisted, then I married a soldier. For the first 40 years of my life I never lived anywhere more than 6 years in a row (Hawaii was 3 yers there, 3 in Virginia, then 3 more years there). I went to 8 schools before I graduated from high school. I really miss the lifestyle. I liked it even as a kid, which is unusual.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #216
Master Chef

Oh, dear; I thought I'd die laughing at that film clip! It isn't that hard, but most of the non-Hawaiian people had a hard time of it. Some of them just could not bring themselves to pronounce two sequential vowels separately (the "stop" they were talking about)(hence the Marines calling Kaneohe "K-Bay"). I enjoyed figuring them out, and normally when I asked, I was right. I could never figure out when to pronounce a W as the W sound we know, or as a V. When the missionaries wrote the written language, why in the heck didn't they put in a V?

Wikipedia, by the way, comes from the Hawaiian word for quick, as in wiki-wiki. W sounding like W. Then there's Halawa. V. Throws me every time.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #217
Head Chef

@Claire I'm from not very far from the Kaneohe Bay Marine Base, our nephew served there for three years with his wife an our grand nephew. That's where I'm from, born and raised, my first language is Hawaiian/Pidgin ... so ...
Old 12-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #218
Head Chef

I just had to share this...
for real, this is ONE of the languages that I speak... Pidgin is officially a foreign language, as is Hawaiian, which I speak and of course English, well I guess I should say of course, not everyone in America speaks but English, but...

Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #219
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Kgirl, you speak Hawaiian! Neato
Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #220
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Kgirl, you speak Hawaiian! Neato
yes taxi, yes I do... I went to a school for children of Hawaiian decent and it was mandatory to learn the language, culture, etc.
The school is funded by the largest/richest trust in the entire world, started by the last Hawaiian Monarch and her husband. I am eternally grateful everyday of my life to have been privileged to have had that opportunity, the trust pays for half of each child's education, not to mention that the trust offers many scholarships for higher education.
But, I do go on ...

Tags
hometowns, photos, travel