This Is Where I'm From

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ladies I admire your dreams. Just make sure you have a place to park it at, come holiday time. You can bet, if you start around the first of the year, you are going to want to see family during the holidays. :angel:

Ladies I admire your dreams. Just make sure you have a place to park it at, come holiday time. You can bet, if you start around the first of the year, you are going to want to see family during the holidays. :angel:

We really don't do the holiday with family thing. It's just me and Shrek.

Would love to visit you, but I would have to fly to Boston...

I was thinking more about the driving in Boston. This Country Mouse would be freaked out.

Yeah. I can understand. If you are going too slow, we will just go around you. We will just go up on the sidewalk and get a head of you. :angel:

I'm scared to death to drive here on the mainland!

After seven years here, I still can not drive on Interstates,
I let DH do that, I just co-pilot.

After our first year, I was able to drive the surface roads around these parts, but I can only go about an hour away from home, then I get freaked out! You folks are crazy!

On the island of Oahu (that's where Kaneohe is), there's no where that you could drive over 55mph (legally anyways ;)) most of the time I would drive about 40-45mph.

so for me, 75mph+ is a panick attack on a plate!

Then, throw in all of these onramps, offramps, overhead, under you...
oh my! When we drive in and around the L.A. area, I have to either close my eyes or look down into my lap.
This last trip to Newport Beach it even got to DH.
We drove back by a different route to avoid that mess.
YIKES!:ohmy:

oh and Addie, H3 that runs from the Kaneohe Marine Base through the Koolau Mountain range over to the other Military bases.
We watched it being built from our back deck, that is the most beautiful
drive, I weep each time we come out of the tunnels on the Windard side.

kgirl, come drive in the big apple, where those painted lines in the road are just suggestions, bumper to bumper traffic usually moves at around 45 mph, and a sidewalk is always an optional lane at 3 am when a garbage truck has blocked the side street that you blindly turned down.

just be sure to use the opposite side walk from the one where the sanitation workers are picking up the garbage. they get a little lippy otherwise.

Would love to visit you, but I would have to fly to Boston...

I was thinking more about the driving in Boston. This Country Mouse would be freaked out.

Heck I'll drive just about anywhere and Boston gives me the vapors.

Years back I went to visit a friend in a Boston suburb, she had to work one day so said, "take me to work and you can use my car", so I took her up on it and drove downtown, terrible idea, that city is a mess! She was shocked when she found out what I had done and informed me that even though she grew up in Boston, she had never driven downtown, she always took the T (transit).

In contrast I found Los Angeles, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Malibu,and Long Beach a pleasure to drive, with the exception of the random traffic jams that just seemed to come and go for no reason, :LOL: It was so much easier to drive there.

Last edited:
boston's not so bad. i mean, downtown's streets were the original paths made by cows so you get wicked gridlock, but you can't get in a bad accident when you're barely moving. although, everyone up there owns whatever street they are on at any given time.

boston's not so bad. i mean, downtown's streets were the original paths made by cows so you get wicked gridlock, but you can't get in a bad accident when you're barely moving. although, everyone up there owns whatever street they are on at any given time.

Finally, someone who understands Boston and driving. And in the winter when there is snow on the street and you have shoveled out the spot in front of your house. You have the choice of multiple equipment to put in that spot. Your trash can, summer lounge chair, stolen police wooden horses, broken floor lamps, etc. You are allowed by law to keep that spot for 48 hours. Then you have to remove the "saver" until the next snow storm. Folks who have never lived here wouldn't believe what happens if anyone moves your saver and parks in "your" spot. You are truly taking your life and putting it out for bid. :angel:

i've driven through boston many times. visiting friends in college many years ago, and other times as a diversion on skiing trips, or just to visit as a tourist with my family.

we have the same thing with the snow parking here, but it's technically against the law to save a parking spot no matter who shoveled it out.

i never shovel out my spot and let an ice and snow pile develop. that way only 4x4s with manual transmissions can get in or out of it, and there are few of them on my block besides me.

my bonehead neighbors see me do it so easily in 4 wheel drive low that they try to park their vans there when i pull out. then i sit and watch them try to get out a short time later, spinning their wheels furiously, kicking it in and out of forward and reverse, destroying their transmissions all the while.

when they have to dig their car or van out, they actually have the nerve to put a chair or garbage can in the spot when they leave. in front of my house!

so, i then shovel all of the snow from my sidewalk into the spot and pull in again, tossing the chair/garbage can into their front yards. if they do it several times, it magically disappears.

these are the same people with driveways that can fit 4 or 5 cars, but prefer to save spots on the street so they can keep their precious driveways open.

kgirl, come drive in the big apple, where those painted lines in the road are just suggestions, bumper to bumper traffic usually moves at around 45 mph, and a sidewalk is always an optional lane at 3 am when a garbage truck has blocked the side street that you blindly turned down.

just be sure to use the opposite side walk from the one where the sanitation workers are picking up the garbage. they get a little lippy otherwise.

Bucky, the times that I come to NYC to visit our Niece, who is in the Fashion Industry (she lives on the lower East side), I walk or take the subway... I took a cab ONCE! never again, geez!
Hubby is from Philadelphia, I let him do the driving, if I was the other driver next to him, I wouldn't mess with him :eek: he's a REALLY big guy.
(and why would you be out at 3 am anyways?)

It's an interesting contrast when you've been driving in Boston and suburbs all your life, to go to St. Louis and drive there. The drivers there are polite, obey the speed limits and don't have a clue what a traffic jam really is. Might as well take a nap while driving there.

It's an interesting contrast when you've been driving in Boston and suburbs all your life, to go to St. Louis and drive there. The drivers there are polite, obey the speed limits and don't have a clue what a traffic jam really is. Might as well take a nap while driving there.

Just stay away from East St. Louis, which has the highest crime rate in the US. If you nap there, you'll likely wake up to find your wallet missing and your vehicle sitting on cinder blocks.

Last edited:
andy, i remember driving in downtown chicago years ago and realized that i needed to make a right while i was in the leftmost lane of a 3 lane one way road when stopped at a light. i waited until the light was about to change (there were no pedestrians around and just a few other cars at the light stacked in the 3 lanes). so i very slowly pulled across the 3 lanes through the crosswalk and made my right turn as the light changed to green for us.

the astonished looks on the people in the other cars was priceless, followed by the horns blaring, flashing headlights, and strings of expletives and finger gestures out the windows.

no one was in any danger in any remote way, but one guy decided to follow me all the way to schaumburg (a suburb) to give me a piece of his mind. so much for polite midwesterners.

what angry guy didn't realize was my passengers were my gf (at the time), and her dad, a nyc police captain.

el capitan got out of the car, all 6'6" of him, flashed his badge, and the angry guy took off and hopefully changed his undies before he got home.

ahh, feelin' the love behind the wheel.

before people had the anonymity of the internet to bully people, they did it in cars.

Back
Top Bottom