Time to wrap up Marianne and Jim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
We just got back from Rutt's Hut in Clifton. My parents grew up with Rutt's Hut and they always took us kids during our childhood, too. It's nothing fancy, just a really great fried hot dog with a killer tasty relish. I know my mother was wishing for one and this was the last thing on our to do list. My dad got some great pizza last night. Apparently there is not a decent slice of pizza south of the mason dixon line.

I've poked lots of fun at them and written about lots of it. They can be so irksome at times, but you know...what's the big deal? They are both 72 and pretty set in their little ways by now. My mother and father have hearts of gold with just a few streaks of tarnish. My dad still has larceny in his heart and my mother still wishes she could afford to be one of the Kennedys.

They are packed now and we're just about to sit around with the rest of the strufoli and perhaps a glass of cognac. Yea, I know, how do you follow fried hot dogs with cognac and italian pastry? :yuk: But, I just don't want to make the last night anything less than pretty. I noticed a letter on the dining room table addressed to me. I didn't open it but demanded to be assured they didn't put any money in it. I'm worried about their pension and would be forced to return anything they might have left in that envelope. They say it's just a letter, but I'm not to read it till I get home from work tomorrow night... Home to a house that will suddenly seem just a bit bigger but ever so much quieter. No more half bananas on the counter, or hand towel draped over the sink, or bar soap in the bathroom, or saved and dried paper towels on the counter, or ladles hanging with pot holders, or frying pans hidden in the oven, or entire fios systems unplugged to accomodate a blow drier, or single slices of italian bread wrapped in the refrigerator, or an endless parade of plastic water bottles, or the black man's toiletry bag in the bathroom, not to mention the pink one, either, or their tiny shoes in my foyer, the neatly folded napkins in the drawer, the endless questions about which remote to use, the hugs and kisses every time I walk past them...........

Thanks everyone for keeping us company. How am I gonna keep you all down on the farm now that you've seen Paris?:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Beautiful......Vera, you have brightened my days by writing of your wonderful, precious and priceless days with your loving parents. I envy each minute that you had with them. Merry Christmas to you. You have the greatest gift of all. Thank you for sharing with all of us. XOXO

Thanks for sharing your adventure, Vera. In spite of their quirks and flaws you have had a wonderful visit.

My daddy died in 1973 and my mother was gone before that, so I have no frustrating, goofy or fun memories. It's lovely to see you cherish your parents.

Merry Christmas, my dear!!! You've already received your best gift.

You have been blessed with time with your parents. Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. I miss my parents, Mom died in Jan. '88 and Dad died the day after Christmas in '95. Merry Christmas, VB.

Its been wonderful sharing your parents with us. I loved all the descriptions. I only have my dad left but he still seems to drive me crazy every now & then

Thank you for sharing your parents visit with us. I'm going to miss them.

You have shared a wonderful gift with us, thank you. My dad passed when I was 23, my mom has Alzheimers and is 300 miles away. She could not take the trip, nor remember it if she did. It has been heartwarming, thank you again.

AC

Vera, you have given me the strength and perspective to handle another week's vacation with my elderly mother and my aunt at "our" beach house on the Cape.

Maybe I will write of my own adventures with Joanie and Mickie! LOL!

Thanks! :)

Lee

Marianne and Jim could easily be Frank & Lizzy, who are both gone from us now. While annoying at times because of their quirky ways, both wanted nothing more for their children than to be healthy and happy. BTW, Frank would periodically leave $100 bills in a place where it would be found when he left. Not surprising, those "gifts" were always at just the right time when we were much younger and were raising 3 kids on one salary.

Marianne and Jim have given you the best Christmas gift imaginable...the gift of their time and their love.

Don't worry about seeing Paris. The farm is much more comfortable.

Thanks for letting us in Vera-sometimes funny, sometimes touching, but never a dull moment!

I'll raise my glass in a Christmas toast to Marianne & Jim, may they have many more!!:chef:

I'm so glad you all enjoyed each others' company. Thank you for sharing with us. Along with being entertaining for us, I'm sure writing about the visit was somewhat therapeutic for you. I'm glad it went so well, and not as you feared it might. :cool:

:)Barbara

I'll raise my glass in a Christmas toast to Marianne & Jim, may they have many more!!:chef:

here here!

thank you marianne and jim, for giving us our vb. and thank you vb, for letting us into your heart. i, too, will miss them.

i think i need to go call my parents and tell them that i love them..

here here!

thank you marianne and jim, for giving us our vb. and thank you vb, for letting us into your heart. i, too, will miss them.

i think i need to go call my parents and tell them that i love them..

Tell them I love them too.

How sad that all this cold weather and the first time it snows my parents are back in an 80 degree state.

Vera,

thanks for the wonderful stories about Marianne and Jim.
Loved to read every single word and I'll miss them, too, with all their little quirks and love.

I wonder what they would say if they ever get to know this and the sympathies we have for them

It's easire, though no more affordable, for them to travel here than for me to travel there. They are on retirement time, I'm on work time. Presently, they are thinking of an easter visit.

Back
Top Bottom