Toes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are glad to be here for ITK!!! Glad we could help ease some of the fears and bring a smile to your pretty face!!!

sattie, thanks for reading my posts. Since I have a bunion on the same foot that I want taken care of, do you think I should ask if he could do both at same time or would that be real torture? I just am trying to economize about the cost of Outpatient Care. I just really feel like telling them if it would be okay to remove the whole foot? Kind of stupid right? No , seriously I do want to have the bunion taken car e of too at some point.

My son emailed this story this morning:

STLtoday - Dog chews off Alton woman's toe

about a woman and her dog. Just wonder if he was thinking of my situation?

ITK, I think it would be worth checking with the foot doc about the bunion. Tell him/her that you would like that taken care of eventually and ask about the feasability of doing the two procedures together. My thought is the toenail is minor compared to the bunion (less invasive) and they may be able to do them both at the same time.

I agree with jabbur ITK.... I know I would want to get it knocked out at the same time if I could. I never had a bunion.. so I have no clue what they are like or what it takes to remedy something like that. No need to chop off the whole foot!!!

And for the dog... he must of been hungry!!!! That is toooo weird!

5"8" I'm too ... with hands that make most men go "wow" ... I figure I just need big feet to hoist my big breasteses up to legal level and then need the big hands to justify my feet. Or Vice Versa. =P Its a vicious circle.

I should have been a piano player since I can span an octave easily. I can't quite palm a basketball, but I'm sure with practice I could make my jump-shot good enough to make the palming null.

No wonder people look at me with crossed eyes when I say I'm a vegetarian. But its true!! I have to be the most healthy looking non-meat eater they have ever seen.

:heart:
Z

Help!

Since I asked you all for your advice and I feel better after you wrote about how you felt, I have additional problem. On the same foot I have a bunion. Should i get it done at same time? The nurse tells me it is possible. I have to have x rays next week and talk to the doctor about it. I really think it would be better cost wise and getting sedated only one time. I just can't remember how long I had to remain off my foot when I had it done last time. I was going through divorce and had to live with my ex who resented that I could not cook. I trust all of you completely and know you mean so well for me that I consider you more than this family. They only tell me how deformed my foot looks, never offer advice. I just wonder why I am here really? Only ones who seem to care are the dogs and times I wonder about them too. Thanks for your time and understanding. (Is this in the wrong area again?) Should this be under Venting?

My son had this done a few years ago. They didn't have to remove the entire nail, just a portion of it, down into the nail bed. Now, his nail is one toe is narrower than the rest. Pretty rough on him, but he was just 17 at the time.

He hasn't had any problems since. Prior to that, it was a recurring problem for a couple of years.

ITK-- I just started working at a podiatrist office last week and in that week I saw a lot of people getting 2 procedures done at once. It does save on the cost of an office visit and being in pain twice.

ITK-- I just started working at a podiatrist office last week and in that week I saw a lot of people getting 2 procedures done at once. It does save on the cost of an office visit and being in pain twice.

That is the reason I want it done at once. On the same foot so he wouldn't have to worry about putting needle in more than once. How long do I have to be off my feet? I have appointment Tuesday but heck I am so worried i could forget to ask him. I just have to take care of these guys around here. They won't eat anything but what I fix. that means getting something prepared for two weeks or more. How long will that last ? Seem to always be the hungriest when I don't have enough of one thing.

VeraBlue that is what most everyone says, kind of rough. Well, I been through pretty much so this will be added to it. Feel sorry for your son and you most of all. Having to see him suffer, not right. Thanks for your thoughts.

i had the toe nails on each big toe done twenty years ago, it was uncomfortable but not really bad pain. and believe me i have a low threshold for pain. did have to stay off feet for couple days. best of luck

babe:cool:

Sorry, after ALL this and opening my fear to all of you, the doctor said no problem about doing both at once BUT will have to recoup for 6-8 weeks! How can this be? My brother needs help daily, plus my one son got let go from his job. I can't do this! Not only does this bother me about not being able to be on my feet, but how can I feel right not doing what I need to do. I have too many dependent on me and I just will have to call and cancel and ask that I can reschedule when things are more calm. Wouldn't this bother you if someone said bedrest for 6-8 weeks? Never had child that I stayed off my feet for this length of time.

I know he won't like it but it is my foot and I do have that choice right? Just hope he doesn't get resentful about the whole deal and let this affect his work the next time I want it done. I do feel bad about not keeping this appointment. When he said this, I swallowed hard but thought it isn't going to happen. Why can't feet be normal? Not everyone has these kinds of problems.

Anyway, thanks for all your time and encouragement but this is lot of time to not keep everything going. Besides, got two pups and old dog that need care. Don't be mad that I took your time. I am grateful.

the dr says is just in case. what if you need it? you might be better of with one at a time, or hiring help .

ITK, are you sure he said "bed rest" for 6-8 weeks? Perhaps he just meant it would take that long before your foot is healed. Before you cancel, I would urge you to talk to him once more and ask him what that means. I'm sure you would need some time completely off your feet, but probably not that long, judging from what other people here have said about their own experiences. I understand that people depend on you, but you also need to take care of yourself...and there is no need to apologize to us. We all care about you.

Last edited:
Thank you for putting up with me. I just feel so upset about this. I need to get this done and hearing be off feet for this length of time? I will do like you said Mexico Karen and ask him. I just feel like such a pest as I do here that I have to hear what you all think. It just seems no one really wants to do any 'extra' to make life easier. I do seem like I am talking to a wall when I want to ask their advice. It doesn't give them pain so why should they worry?

I will call his office tomorrow. you think I needed someone to hold my hand?

You're doing fine, ITK. You have come to your friends to ask advice, and that is why we are here. When you call, be polite but firm, and insist that you need to know exactly what is ahead for you so that you can make the necessary plans. Good luck.

There are 2 meanings to "Off your feet" in the medical community. One is bedrest the other is non weight bearing. After bunion surgery I would think there would be a short period of bedrest (max a week) then use of cruthches or walker to get around. You know that docs try to get you up and moving quicker than they used to. I agree with MK that you need this clarified and just let them know your concerns. BTW, with you son out of a job, maybe he could help you out with some of the other stuff between job hunts.

Last edited:
I hit my big toe nail on a rock one time and it turned black and ended up falling off. It grew back after a year. Someone I know had an ingrown toe nail too and got surgery on it. It hurt a lot but the problem was fixed after that.

Thank you for putting up with me. I just feel so upset about this. I need to get this done and hearing be off feet for this length of time? I will do like you said Mexico Karen and ask him. I just feel like such a pest as I do here that I have to hear what you all think. It just seems no one really wants to do any 'extra' to make life easier. I do seem like I am talking to a wall when I want to ask their advice. It doesn't give them pain so why should they worry?

ITK, of course you're upset! They should have given you more specific information.

I think they mean you won't be able to wear a regular shoe for that long. Bunion removal entails a long-ish incision along the side of your big toe. That will be painful and swollen for a while and you probably shouldn't put the pressure of a shoe on it for the 4-6 weeks.

Lots of people have jobs that they can't go without a shoe or wear one of those funny wooden and canvas shoes that the doctor will probably give you. Or maybe they have jobs that require them to walk or stand for long periods of time. So maybe that's what they mean when they say you'll be out of commission for that long.

With the toenail and the bunion together, I think you'll be doing only necessary walking (like to the bathroom) for a week or so, but you'll not be back to full function for the 4-6 weeks. I'm not a doctor and your doc may want something different, but that was how it was for my friend's mother when she had the bunion surgery. So just call them tomorrow and ask exactly what you can and can't do for the 4-6 weeks. Then ask specifically if you can get up to cook, to let the dogs out, drive to the grocery store, etc. They should be able to tell you all of that so you can make a decision.

Good luck, Hon. I know bunions are very painful and I hate to think you won't be able to get this fixed. Let us know what happens.

ITK, are you sure he said "bed rest" for 6-8 weeks? Perhaps he just meant it would take that long before your foot is healed. Before you cancel, I would urge you to talk to him once more and ask him what that means. I'm sure you would need some time completely off your feet, but probably not that long, judging from what other people here have said about their own experiences. I understand that people depend on you, but you also need to take care of yourself...and there is no need to apologize to us. We all care about you.

you are right karen. my daughter has had three foot surgeries this year on her foot. don't know the medical term, but has to do with growths on nerves. one was an incision in the bottom of her foot. each time was just told to use crutches. first three days just stayed off completely off it because of pain. then on to the crutches for about a month.

this sounds for itk a necessary thing. talking to dr. will help clarify things.

babe:huh:

ITK... girlie, you need to get it done. Let us know what the doctor's office tells you. I don't think you will be off your feet for too long, but I'm no doctor either.

But we are here for ya sweetie!

Now What?

Yesterday, I went to my other doctor the one I go to regularly to find out about my Colitis or whatever they say it is. I have told him that times when I eat or drink something that it once it while it gives me intense pain as it tries to go down my throat. Now instead of pill he wants to have me go to hospital to have endoscopy? Put me out to do some kind of procedure to check why this happens. Here, I thought I was getting rid of toe problem and now have to have this done. I just wonder what the toe doctor will say? Supposed to go Tuesday and after telling all of you about it and your thoughts now the plan has changed. Do you believe this? I cannot have both of these procedures done. I trust my body but my mind will be the one that will be affected.

I bet you are all laughing about how dumb this is. Does this happen to any of you that you are wanting to get one thing fixed and got to do another thing? I think I am st arting to fall apart one piece at a time. I try to maintain my lifestyle the best I can. Now that my son lost his job he has ordered anxiety pills beside depression pills. I trust this doctor as he is only one who really seems to not push me out of the office. I only hope I don't make him think I need someone to talk to. There are people who tell the doctors more than what they need to.

What would you do? Get the toes done or the throat checked? Like going to garage to get tune up or something.

Back
Top Bottom