"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
Hospitality Queen

They were a bit on the *BLEEP* side, weren't they?
Especially Andrew. I'm thinking he's ADHD.

As for the couple, I bet if they last a while in the show, they'll either help each other out or end up in a fight.
Looks like we're in for another great season.

Ok, IronChef - you're really good at this game - who do you see as the top three?

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #22
Master Chef

I was quite unimpressed with the foul mouths and bad attitudes of this bunch. And then there was the bad hair ....

Plus that guy had no clue as to what piccatta was. How lame.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I stayed up and watched it. Good show... but EVEN I KNOW WHAT CHICKEN Pitccata is.

Where did they find that guy??

I want the Greek guy to win and yes... it's just because he's Greek! lol
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

First elimination

Who thinks Nimma deserved to be the first eliminated? I thought not knowing what piccata is was a bigger problem than oversalting the shrimp - although, not having tasted it, if it was really inedible, I guess that would be fair grounds for dismissal.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Hard to say at this point, but I like Richard, Dale, and Spike. From the first episode, this was my impression:

Nimma was this season's Clay. Totally outclassed and out of her league. Shouldn't have even been there.

Andrew is this seasons's Joey. Big mouth, doesn't back it up.

Ryan is this season's Howie. If you don't know what it is, shut up.

Erik is this season's Dave or Frank. WTF was up with his presentation? It looked like a trainwreck, even if his souffle was properly made.

With that being said, I would've had problems with the souffle had I drawn that dish. I think the easiest was the one dish that both people boned: the picatta.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Who thinks Nimma deserved to be the first eliminated? I thought not knowing what piccata is was a bigger problem than oversalting the shrimp - although, not having tasted it, if it was really inedible, I guess that would be fair grounds for dismissal.
I felt badly for Nimma. I think she was out of her element in this very strong field. In addition to her VERY bad shrimp and (whoever heard of cauliflower with shrimp scampi?) side dish, she had just about the worst pizza in the quick-fire.

Not knowing what piccata is was a huge faux pas, tho, but not as bad, imho as those two who didn't know how to construct a souffle! Mashed Potatoes??? Rice Pudding???? Give me a break! no wonder they both turned out so gross. and then the guy had the $(*%&*^ to put nachos on top his so-called souffle so that what ever puff it might have had went POOF!

Oh yes! and by the way, my favorite so far is Stephanie, last night's winner. I am looking forward to seeing what Manuel is going to do, tho. He's got a lot of high end experience, and is an Exec here in New York.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

i only caught a few minutes, dozed off, and caught the end. but what the f#%k!!!

do they know that they're on tv?

an occasional bleep is ok, when appropriately placed for a given emotion, but almost all of them sounded like potty mouthed kids. a real turn off.

and i thought the guy who completely blew chicken piccata shoulda been tossed. he kept referring to "what he knew from his childhood", and about the amount of starch served with chicken piccata. he clearly didn't know what the heck it was, and should have said so. who cares what starch you serve? in fact, it should be served as it's own course, in a proper italian restaurant. how can you not know piccata?

i finally liked something rocco dispirito said. he mentioned how the piccatas were devoid of "that acidic butter sauce". at least he knows piccata.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Oversalting=death on T.C. It makes the judges mad

I hate when I oversalt it is so embarassing and there is nothing you can do to save your dish either.

Always feel bad for the first one down.

What is brutal about that show is that one bad decision can doom you no matter how good a chef and anyone can create a kitchen disaster.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Oversalting is one of the biggest sins ANYWHERE, not just Top Chef. It's worse than making a dish that doesn't resemble the "classic", because at least you can eat the later. She even admitted that she didn't try her shrimp! WTF is that? If she did, she could've fixed it by saucing it, which she should've anyway since her shrimp looked about as dry as a shoe. Anyone who doesn't try their food before they present it is an idiot.

What made drawing the souffle particulary hard was the fact that you also had to present it last, but finish cooking your dish at the same time as everyone else. Unless you regulary make souffles, executing that would be very difficult.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
Oversalting is one of the biggest sins ANYWHERE, not just Top Chef. It's worse than making a dish that doesn't resemble the "classic", because at least you can eat the later. She even admitted that she didn't try her shrimp! WTF is that? If she did, she could've fixed it by saucing it, which she should've anyway since her shrimp looked about as dry as a shoe. Anyone who doesn't try their food before they present it is an idiot.

I thought she admitted they were salty, meaning she had tried them and served them anyway! What's worse?