"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I have really missed Trader Joe's! I don't get up to that area very much but will probably go to Concord Mills at least once before Christmas. Where is Trader Joe's in relation to Concord Mills?

Barbara
You'll love this. Taking 85 it's the exit before Concord Mills. You can't miss it. I'll get the exact exit number for you on my drive home tonight. I pass Concord Mills every morning and Trader Joe's on the way home. Too much traffic between Mallard Creek Church and Speedway Blvd on 85 at 5 pm.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
You'll love this. Taking 85 it's the exit before Concord Mills. You can't miss it. I'll get the exact exit number for you on my drive home tonight. I pass Concord Mills every morning and Trader Joe's on the way home. Too much traffic between Mallard Creek Church and Speedway Blvd on 85 at 5 pm.
WooHoo! Thanks!!

Barbara

Old 11-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #23
Executive Chef

OMG ~ I was in there over and hour and a half just talking to displaced Californians. It was like we all HAD to be there the day it opened. We missed it by a day. And I don't think I walked out with any one thing that will make one dinner. I bought some great sounding vinegar, some chicken, did a lot of price comparison ~ WOW! such great prices. And I still spent $50. I got a lot, it just added up so fast.

Barbara ~ when you go, bring your own canvas bag and they'll enter you into a drawing for a $25 gift card. And they "don't discriminate" any bag will do.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Barbara ~ when you go, bring your own canvas bag and they'll enter you into a drawing for a $25 gift card. And they "don't discriminate" any bag will do.
Thanks for letting me know! We (my best friend and I) will be going next week on Thursday or Friday. I told her about Trader Joe's tonight and that we would have to go there too (in addition to Concord Mills). She sounds excited about it now too.

Barbara
Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Bring a cooler too. Their frozen and fresh meat prices were to die for.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Bring a cooler too. Their frozen and fresh meat prices were to die for.
Thanks for reminding me!

Barbara
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #27
Contest Winner

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks for letting me know! We (my best friend and I) will be going next week on Thursday or Friday. I told her about Trader Joe's tonight and that we would have to go there too (in addition to Concord Mills). She sounds excited about it now too.

Barbara

I guess that means, I'm all the way out !!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 PM   #28
Master Chef

Congratulations, on getting a Trader Joe's nearby. My store is an hour away. Here are a few of my favorites from TJ's:

wild and brown rice blend
blueberry bran muffins
sundried tomato and habanero tortillas
artichoke hearts
vegetable pad thai
Many of their nuts, trail mixes, or dried fruits
pita chips with sea salt
flaxseed tortilla chips
Genova pesto
whole wheat pita breads
sweet basil turkey chicken sausages

There are many more items that I cannot remember off the top of my head. I also like their beer and wine selection. Although, I have avoided the 2 buck chuck. Basically, I have rarely tried an item at Trader Joe's that I did not like.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Okay, I used to go to TJ's in California. This past weekend Trader Joe's finally opened in our end of Charlotte/Concord. I'm so excited but what to buy? Any recommendations? I used to buy whole nuts and spices in California but it's been 4 years.

What are your favorites from Trader Joe's? Apparently there's a wine, Two Buck Chuck, I'm told I should check out. Any experience with that?
I'm sooo jealous! Will they EVER come to Greensboro? They're supposed to open in Chapel Hill eventually, but that's like an hour away!
When I lived in NY, I used to go there. Now I have friends send me care packages.

Their Veggie Flax Tortilla chips are great, as are their savory thins (rice crackers). They have great deals on chocolate, and their Pound Plus is supposed to be excellent (from Belgium, and probably Callebaut), for a very low price. I've also tried their Swiss 71% bar, their 3-pack 72% bar (Belgian - probably Callebaut), and Chocovic Guaranda 71% - they're all excellent. Now, keep in mind, that all of these items may not be currently available - they discontinue stuff a lot to make room for the new.
Their Genoa tuna packed in olive oil is supposed to be very good - I'll have to get someone to send me some in my next care package.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Merstar, if they made it to Concord, they can make it to Greensboro. I have to go there (Greensboro at the Sheridan) in January, should I bring you something?