"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Thumbs up Traditions, Celebrations and their Food

Celebrations and festivals of all peoples and religions are a great way to learn new recipes and history.

Here is a link to Purim, March 20 – 23 I believe. Enjoy!

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/default_cdo/jewish/Purim.htm

Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Cool idea, David - thanks

Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

David, hi, you never stop surprising me. As a matter of fact I am almost done cooking for Purim, small getharing of about 200. 2 24 quarts pots of borscht, about a 1200-1300 varenikies/pirogie. About 600 pirpzhkies. If I'm not going to drop dead by Friday I'll sleep all day Sunday. I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am. Tomorow is fun part begins boiling the varenikies.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning driving to work, I heard this story about Parsi culture on NPR: Sugar in the Milk: A Parsi Kitchen Story : NPR

The Parsi New Year is the first day of spring - today In the article, there are links to recipes and other information.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Wow! Go CharlieD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
David, hi, you never stop surprising me. As a matter of fact I am almost done cooking for Purim, small getharing of about 200. 2 24 quarts pots of borscht, about a 1200-1300 varenikies/pirogie. About 600 pirpzhkies. If I'm not going to drop dead by Friday I'll sleep all day Sunday. I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am. Tomorow is fun part begins boiling the varenikies.
I can not imagine making 1300 pirogies - about 60 I did for an Orthodox Siveta Vechera at Christmas but 1300?? How? And that much borsch one could swim in. Six hundred pirpzhkies???

Folks, you have little idea what Charlie has done. Thanks for sharing Charlie!
The Chef's hat is for you.

P.S. - Charlie, I spend too much time on line looking for things for Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans. Go there are you will find that your affiliation is well represented. That's what it's all about - everyone included.

Oh - Goodweed, thanks for the link. I took a quick look and will go back as soon as I hit the submit button right now.............
Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What are pirpzhkies and varenikies?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Head Chef

Exclamation Perogies, perohie, prohie

Here is a link to vareneky, with accent on the second syllable, (or perogies, pirogies, progies, etc. as we generally call them). It has how to photos and recipes.
http://www.allthingsukrainian.com/Recipe/Varenyky/index.html

Peroshies (accent on the o) is the probably incorrect transliteration but I don't know any other. I'm not sure of CharlieD's transliteration . Anyway, they are similar to vareneky but most often I think with yeast dough and either fried or baked.

But what do I know? I'm just a poboy once upon a time from the hills of North Carolina and can't spell in English much less Ukrainian.

By the way Goodweed - fascinating link you provided. It links us as people in a strange way - our Christian members and readers will recall the story of the three wise men from the East bringing gifts. Well, they were most likely priests from these people when they lived in Persia, not Iran, before being forced out to India when Arabs conquered Persia and changed the religion. Worth opening and reading for sure. Thanks , kudos!!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

OOps GotGarlic!! Sorry, I kept calling you goodweed, sorry goodweed. Anyway, GotGarlic asked what pirpzhkies and varenikies are. You have the link to varenikies. Here is a good one to Piroshky.
http://delectable-victuals.blogspot.com/2007/10/piroshky.html

Sorry again - GotGarlic doesn't sound like goodweed now does it? Oh well. Remember, forgiveness is devine! :) D
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
OOps GotGarlic!! Sorry, I kept calling you goodweed, sorry goodweed. Anyway, GotGarlic asked what pirpzhkies and varenikies are. You have the link to varenikies. Here is a good one to Piroshky.
http://delectable-victuals.blogspot.com/2007/10/piroshky.html

Sorry again - GotGarlic doesn't sound like goodweed now does it? Oh well. Remember, forgiveness is devine! :) D
GotGarlic is a good guy so I don't mind at all. I hope he doesn't mind either. But I was confused. I'm not sure that that can ever be helped though.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
GotGarlic is a good guy so I don't mind at all. I hope he doesn't mind either. But I was confused. I'm not sure that that can ever be helped though.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
No, *she* doesn't mind one bit. Thanks for the links I should try making pierogies sometime. DH's father is Polish and his mother is German, so he grew up with them.