"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: The Traveling Apron's Rules - Please Vote!
1 apron per continent 23 53.49%
1 apron per region (northern, southern, eastern, western states) 2 4.65%
a time limit of 4 days (not including weekends) in posession 5 11.63%
a time limit of 1 week total 33 76.74%
Only the apron and paper goods (recipe cards,etc) in the package 15 34.88%
The apron and all other items chosen by the sender in the package 18 41.86%
All participants will pm jkath their address, email and phone# to ensure a safe return of the apron 36 83.72%
No vital information like that above is necessary 1 2.33%
A minimum of 200 posts before anyone gets the apron 22 51.16%
A minimum of 3 months on the board (active member) before anyone gets the apron 30 69.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #11
Head Chef

I only want THE apron, not some European apron...we are ONE community! I understand that money was put in there to help the poor sucker who had to ship it overseas to the non-N.American contingent. I personally am entirely happy to send in internationally (I think I was due to send it from Italy to UK, which is fine...I do that a lot anyway!).

I think a week would be tight for some people. I would certainle say no more than 14 calendar days (excluding holidays but not weekends). It seems to me that a mother getting it as it approached a holiday would struggle to organised family catering and activities and get to a Post office if she only had five calendar days (assuming POs are closed Sat and Sun).

I happily will give my name and addresses and contact numbers to any mod of DC, including Jkath!!!

I would like to put some things in the package, especially for people who have not been to Italy, or if I am in UK, England. Its part of spreading the love, but I can see it could, over time, accumulate weight....perhaps if someone has experienced what is sent they could leave it, if not try it?
I think a postcard from the area its been to in the box would be nice, so that we can all really add something that goes to everyone after us.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #12
Head Chef

I totally agree that one apron would be best. I was mailing to Italy this January and it is not that hard or expensive. I would much rather spend money on international postage rather than overnight packages.

My thought on this is the custom declaration which ask for a dollar value on the contents and if you would be taxed for receipt of the apron and it's contents based on that value.

I was thinking that we should send you some wooden spoons with the apron. Along with some scrumptious goodies to munch on.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
Everymom

I voted for both the post count and the membership of at least 3 months. I also agree with the statement that maybe it needs to be longer. Frankly though, by the time the folks on the bottom of the list get it, they will have been members for quite a while. LOL.

If you are still up for it jkath, I think the best thing to do would be to have you monitor the list and if there are people who drop off the boards you have the executive power to remove them or drop them to the bottom of the list.

As for any money being sent to help with shipping, well thats what PayPal is for. If anyone wants to contribute money to help send the apron around send it via PayPal to jkath and let her send it to the ones who need it. I think we can all agree that she is trustworthy. (and if you don't, then don't send her any $!! )

Really, the original set up was fine. Folks enjoyed it, and it was working. With the additional monitoring and information sent to one central person it should be fine.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
Hospitality Queen

So, then, shall we begin again?

I think the paypal idea is a good one, Alix. And, by the way, for those of you who don't know me that well, be assured I'd never take off with the funds...too many of you know where I live!!!

I think we should use this apron. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll send for it on Monday:

Discuss Cooking BBQ Apron > DiscussCooking.com Online Store | CafePress
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I think that one would be perfect jkath!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Sous Chef

That apron is perfect!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss jkath, Miss Alix,

In addtion to the "Executive powers" granted to Miss jkath. I would add. At Miss jkath's discretion anyone violating any of this forums Rules/regulations or other impolite or unbecoming behavior etc. be removed entirely from the list. In simple terms ya better be nice

Uncle Bob

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #18
Head Chef

I am so glad it's looking like the Apron will be making a come back. I look forward to earning the right to get on "The List"
A round of applause to the "Keeper of the Apron" jkath
Old 03-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I agree with the length of time being extended to a little bit longer. Goodies I think should be up to the sender...postcards, letters, or pictures would be a great momentum of all of the DC members. I voted for two aprons for the simple fact that with travel time and the amount of time that it will be in a members house, it will take forever for it to get to those members who haven't been here as long as some but are still in good standing. JKATH, you are such a wonderful person and I hope that people do feel like they can trust you. I will be willing to give out any necessary info to you to get my turn. I am so excited to have this going around again. I can't wait for it to reach me!!!

P.S. I think that apron would be perfect!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
Head Chef

Hooray! Thank you JKath for starting it up again ...

I am with the others - one apron for the whole group with a time limit and all vital information shared with you so you can hunt us down if we flake out.

As you start a new list - would it be possible to go with the original list and add new people to the bottom? Not to be picky about it but some of us have waited a long time to touch the coveted cloth . Just a thought ...

Count me back in please!