"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-27-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Trees/leaves

Is it against the law in any state to rake leaves back on your neighbor's lawn? this sounds crazy to me talking about leaves. My neighbor has 8 trees on his property. The property is only about 1/3 acre. I had to have my trees either trimmed or taken down. I only have ONE tree in front of my house. Others are gone. I truly feel if you have somethng on your property, you are the one to take care of it. However, my yard is covered w/his leaves. There are leaves from my tree included but the majority of the big leaves are his. Every year I have expense of taking care of yard waste. Last night I raked some of the leaves back on his property. My brother tells me he could take me to court for doing something like that! I told him they were his leaves. He said the law says cannot put something on another's lawn w/o their permission. His trees, his leaves.

He does try to clear them away periodically but they ony are back the next day. Now I can spend most of the day trying to clear all the leaves away. How do you people feel about leaf blower? I see them and the leaves blow every which way. No control. Trying to shred them w/mower has caused the mower to stop too often.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Head Chef

Mulched leaves are great food for your lawn. I can see your problem tho, have you talked to your neighbor about the problem? A leaf blower will blow the leaves away but the wind will blow them back. Can you rake and then burn the pile of leaves? Maybe bag the leaves too. Alot of work but will take care of the leaves. Maybe neighbor would help out some.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
Executive Chef

"I only have ONE tree in front of my house. "

Me too, and every year I end up with about 20 bags of leaves. and that's after I've used some to cover the garden and flower beds. We're not allowed burning them, but the city mulches them and uses them on our footpaths in the woods..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Head Chef

Please, please, please, even if it is legal, don't burn them. We asthma sufferers have enough trouble this time of year without leaf smoke.

Talk to him first. I would be irritated if you piled leaves on my property without talking to me first, but if you asked me, maybe we could work something out. Fighting with neighbors is such an unpleasant way to live.

Leaves are just a part of fall. Grind them up with your mower, use them as mulch in your flower beds, compost them.

Bring them to me--I pile them in my chicken yard and the girls make compost out of them.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Master Chef

Our house is in the woods, so we don't even try to fight the leaves. My husband has a leafblower that he uses to clear off the deck and carport, and we don't worry about the rest. We do have a lawn in front of the house, but the leaves seem to gather mostly in the fence rows and perennial bed. Anything left gets mulched with the mower.

In regard to the legality of raking the leaves back onto your neighbors lawn...I remember reading something about an apple tree on your neighbors side of the fence; any apples that fall on your side of the fence are yours. I imagine that goes for leaves as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m totaly with Thumpershere2 on this one.

on 2 counts actualy;
1) leaf mulch is Fantastic! you could even sell it.
2) you clearly mentioned Raking, a leaf blower is Not raking :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
In regard to the legality of raking the leaves back onto your neighbors lawn...I remember reading something about an apple tree on your neighbors side of the fence; any apples that fall on your side of the fence are yours. I imagine that goes for leaves as well.
Yes, I agree with Constance on this. Years back, we had a mango tree in the frontyard of our family house. It was a very prolific tree, unfortunately its branches extend a little beyond our cantankerous neighbour's fence. So this particular neighbour started giving us problems by insisting that we should chop off the branches. My elder sister would retort by telling her not to complain as the leaves that dropped were very few and that she would get to eat the mangoes as well. Things eventually got really worse until the police got involved. What happened in the end? The police reiterated what my sister told our neighbour, ie. that there was no ground for complaint and that any mangoes that fall on the neighbour's side are hers to keep!!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
also, it`s perfectly legal to cut off the bows/branches that cross the boundry onto your land, but you MUST put what you`ve taken off back onto their property else it`s stealing.
it`s valid in the UK anyway, not sure about the US though?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Raking? Leaf blowing, what's that? We live in town on an acre. The house has been here since 1880 and some of the trees are big, over 100-years-old. Lots of leaves. Did I say the trees were big? We've never raked here. Just let Mother Nature do what she does. As a result we have some of the richest soil I have ever seen. Black as tar and so rich if you planted a penny, you'd get a crop of dimes.

The city comes by regularly with a huge leaf "vacuum" and cleans up the leaves in the ditches and along the streets. Some folks rake, but most don't. I don't think the people did in the 1880s either. In a matter of weeks, we won't even know there were leaves in the yard when the weather turns to rain and snow.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Head Chef

I know that it isn't fair that the leaves on your lawn belong to your neghbors trees. I would just rake up the leaves on your property so the glass looks good.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote