DID YOU KNOW...
Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.
1. which four presidents have had state capitals named for them?
2. in which sport would you use an epee?
3. which long-running comic strip character has a wife named Aleta?
4. can you name the early tv show whose live audience was referred to as the
5. can you name the orator of the "give me liberty or give me death" speech?
6. after china, India and the u.s.a., which country is #4 in population, as
7. which character speaks the last line of A Christmas Carol ?
8. can you name the early private eye tv series that featured a hip parking
lot attendant named kookie?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
"Pandora's Box" wasn't a box, but rather a Jar.
1. MADISON, LINCOLN, JACKSON, JEFFERSON
3. Prince Valiant
4. HOWDY DOODY SHOW
5. PATRICK HENRY
7. TINY TIM
8. "77 SUNSET STRIP"
The original Greek word used was "pithos", which is a large jar, sometimes as large as a small human (Diogenes of Sinope was said to have once slept in one). It was used for storage of wine, oil, grain or other provisions, or, ritually, as a container for a human body for burying.
In the case of Pandora, this jar may have been made of clay for use as storage as in the usual sense, or of bronze metal as an unbreakable prison.
The mistranslation of pithos is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam who translated Hesiod's tale of Pandora into Latin.
Erasmus rendered pithos as the Latin pyxis, meaning "box".
The phrase "Pandora's box" has endured ever since.
Pandora (ancient Greek: "gift", hence "giver of all" or "all-endowed") was the first woman on Earth.
Pandora was created upon the command of Zeus to Hephaestus, the god of craftsmanship. Hephaestus created her using water and earth, while other gods granted her many gifts (for example, beauty from Aphrodite, persuasiveness from Hermes, and music from Apollo).
After Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus sought reprisal by handing Pandora to Epimetheus, the brother of Prometheus. At the same time, Pandora was given a jar that she was ordered not to open under any circumstances. Despite this warning, overcome by curiosity Pandora opened the jar. Upon doing so, the evils contained within escaped into the world. Scared, Pandora immediately closed the jar, only to trap Hope inside, as was Zeus' will.
In other versions, Hope does come out though the main purpose of the myth of Pandora is to address why evil exists in the world.
Walk with the person who's searching for truth........ run from the person who says they've found it !