Unique groceries you buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AllenMI said:
Ok luvs, I could have sworn I managed to get some kind of banana that was more for cooking than for eating raw. I guess I was mistaken. That was 8 years ago.

we were just on a different page.:-p 2 different kinds of bananas.
now i'm curious!:LOL:

Gentlemans relish (anchovy paste) and mushroom ketchup (which is more of a watery syrup consistency) would be the weirdest things I buy.

YOU CAN'T GET PROMITE IN THE UK!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to shout, but it is one of the biggest problems in my life!!!! (wouldn't you love to have my life where not being able to get a toast spread is the biggest problem in it!!!) Vegemite and marmite yes, but promite is really yummy, have a slightly sweeter tangier taste and I don't feel it's quite as salty. You can get the simplest tim tams here, not the fancier ones I saw when I was last in Oz, but as I am watching what I eat, I very rarely buy them.

We now even have Tia Maria Tim Tams and these weird ones with chilli!! At Christmas thye sometimes bring out white ones which are my favourite.
Promite is the best "mite" I say, how sad you can't get it in the UK. Where do you come from in Australia Kyles?

I was born in Hobart Tasmania and lived for 10 years in Launceston.

Penguins are horrible they are not the same!!! I love the Tia Maria ones, and the Kahlua biscuits that look like a mint slice!

I really do miss it, but the part of England I live in is green, gorgeous and very friendly, so that makes it a bit easier.

You know I went to school with Princess Mary!!!! She was in my year and everything!!!

kyles said:
I really do miss it, but the part of England I live in is green, gorgeous and very friendly, so that makes it a bit easier.

You know I went to school with Princess Mary!!!! She was in my year and everything!!!
Were you invited to the wedding??? Have you got any good goss we can sell to the tabloids and make our fortunes????

Can't do without...

Peck's Anchovette fish paste, Marmite (when I can find it) and Bovril for spreading on sandwiches, Mrs. Ball's (peach) chutney (the best), Kenyan black tea (King's grocery store has it, sold under St. Michael's (Marks & Spencer? label))- great breakfast tea - full body, lovely colour). Knorr's Rich Oxtail soup powder. Bisto for gravy, if I can find it (but I'm getting over needing this - a friend from New Zealand taught me a just-as-good if not better way of making gravy). -Sandyj

I think I get the strangest look I get is when I ask the butcher for 5 or 10 pounds of beef fat. I use it to make soap out of, when I am really bored. It is a carry over from my childhood but I still get a certain amount of enjoyment form making it.

I rarely explain myself when I buy it and the butcher and the store patrons all give me a very strange look.

Bryan

bknox said:
I think I get the strangest look I get is when I ask the butcher for 5 or 10 pounds of beef fat. I use it to make soap out of, when I am really bored. It is a carry over from my childhood but I still get a certain amount of enjoyment form making it.

I rarely explain myself when I buy it and the butcher and the store patrons all give me a very strange look.

Bryan

awesome! soapmaking would make a good hobby.

I was going to say lychee nuts (fresh), but I see many have already mentioned them. I love those! So sweet and juicy. They are only available here once a year, and they are very expensive, so I just buy a few. Well worth it though! I didnt know they came in a can.

The beef fat brings back family memories. At the time we weren't considered a large family (there are four of us girls, now it would be considered large, but then it wasn't) and Mom got a good deal on half cows. The first time she just took it as is, but the second time she asked where the rest of the cow was, the fat and the soup bones, and they gave her all of it. So she rendered the fat to make cooking lard. It smelled absolutely horrid when she was rendering it. BUT ... it was delicious, especially in deep-frying, something Mom seldom did before or after (or now, for that matter). But the french fries, potato chips, and onion rings she made in that fat were the best I've ever had. Anyone else ever use beef fat for cooking? Ironically, my husband remembers HIS mom rendering beef fat and the gosh-awful smell of the process.

Odd foods -- I look for ethnic grocery stores. Around here, in Galena we have a Mexican grocer (very small) and in Dubuque a Vietnamese couple run a grocery that is pan-Asian AND Mexican. But I live for trips to Madison, where there is everything. Next time we go, I'll look up and find out if there's a middle eastern grocer. My mom loves to come shopping with me, even on her own turf, because I can sniff out these places. It amazes me sometimes that I know a lot of women who are afraid to go into these places. They don't speak the language (like I do ... haha) or are afraid of buying something they don't like. There are just two of us, so I don't go a lot, but enough that owners know us. In this case the Vietnamese man will sometimes ask what I'm making with what I'm buying. I usually just have a general idea. I'm buying just to see what it tastes like. But if I have an idea of what I'm doing, he'll guide me to a better product for that purpose, or an additional one (no dummy him) that'll make it better. Anyway these will be chili pastes, sauces, different kinds of noodles (rice and bean paste noodles are cheaper than in the grocery store, and soba and other noodles simply aren't available at our local grocery), spices, especially curry blends, canned or frozen veggies that are unavailable elswhere (yes, I can buy canned lychees there). Meanwhile his wife is cooking up Thai and Vietnamese foods in the little restaurant attached, and we can't miss that. Most Asian grocers I've found are Korean or Vietnamese, sometimes Thai, and my husband was stationed all three places BC, and can say hello and goodbye, which does really help, but no one should be afraid to try, it's really fun.

Bryan - soapmaking! Fabulous!
I say keep 'em guessing on what you need the fat for. I'm surprised Buckytom hasn't come into this conversation - he'd have fun with that one.

Claire - you'd love shopping here in Southern California! We've got so many ethnic markets! And, in my tiny city we even have a middle eastern market and a bakery.
There's also many others in our town, and within 20 miles: chinese (tons), japanese, korean, vietnamese, thai, armenian (tons), and probably dozens of other ones I've forgotten... but the most common ethnic markets are mexican, which I adore.
...if only there were polish places around here!!!

Back
Top Bottom