"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I have lost 5 dogs in the last 27 years. I know what you are going through. It sucks. Glad you brought this to the forum. Give your self some time to grieve and then get yourself another kitten. I prefer puppies and parrots. My wife gave me a pup on a fathers day 6 months after one of my dogs died 9 years ago and I cried......thinking about my last dog. I have two nine year old dogs. They are having some health issues now and I know I will end up putting them down in the near future. Ughhh It sucks!
LOL I don't think I need another pet for a long time, until last night had 4 cats and 2 dogs, all rescues. My sister just moved in too, bringing her puppy who is my puppies sister with her... these were from a puppy mill that got shut down. I live in a regular petting zoo, alot of the neighbourhood kids like to visit just to visit the animals because I live across from low income housing who doesn't allow pets. I don't mind since the animals get attention lavished on them while I watch to make sure contact is all good, and don't have any kids in here that mistreat them. Only had to ban one kid so far after 2 warnings, oddly enough with the cat that just passed away. She was very much a "I want attention when I want it, when I don't leave me be" and he didn't respect her space and tried to chase her down so he wasn't allowed back after he was warned (he's 10, old enough to know better, it's not like there weren't other animals around) and repeated the behaviour. I also volunteer at the SPCA so see lots of animals, I don't want to replace her, don't think I could. Won't say I won't ever get another cat but not for a long while.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #22
Master Chef

Dear Trip,

This thread brings tears to my eyes as we're real animal lovers--especially cats--I came home one afternoon to find my beloved Tiffany (a silver chinchilla Persian rescued from a flea-feasting free for all he** hole- in Egypt--the vet said that if another month had gone by she would have been sucked dry) stretched out dead on the lawn. She was 10 years old and had lived a wonderful life---all she wanted was to sit in your lap and be petted. She loved our garden and loved being adored which she was. Had it not been for me stopping by that horrible "pet shop" she would have lived for only 3 months instead of the 10 years that we gave her. You gave your cat all the love that you possibly could-no animal could ever ask more of their owner. Unlike humans I don't think that animals dwell over "What if??" Our human species beat ourselves with the guilt words "would, should, could, why, what if, etc"---these guys don't---their concerns are when are the owners coming home and when am I'm going to be fed, when am I going to be petted, etc.. They are here to be loved and taken care of-----NOT to be apologized to. If you happen to have a yard, buy a plant and or a cat statuary and make a little memorial to her. I have a girl pushing a wheelbarrow plant holder in my front beds which reminds me of my grandmother who LOVED gardening. If you're in an apartment then buy a plant in her memory. When you feel up to it, you then should consider getting another cat. It's okay to grieve--just don't beat yourself up with guilt as well-----maybe your vet was having a bad day. Glad that you posted.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Trip, I'm sorry for your loss. Remember that we do our best to take care of those that depend upon us. I had a similar situation and the vet actually made me feel quilty because I stopped the tests and such when the cost hit $800.00. I had her put down gently while she was in my arms. I can still see her trusting blue eyes. Another thought, I lost two of my beauties because the new neighbors didn't like bugs, (we live in the country) so they sprayed their lawn and trees and flowers and my cats got tumors. No one for sure can pinpoint the reason. You gave her a home with love, that makes you a special person. Don't tear yourself apart with guilt.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Time

Must be time of year for sorrow. Had to put our one dog down as diabetes seemed to affect her back legs and her daily potty habits. After almost 6 months of having to keep her from coming inside because of these accidents, I couldn't take it when I saw her trying to catch a rabbit and dragging her legs. I thought why is she living anymore. She knew it wasn't her fault what was happening and the durn weather was so hot I let her sleep inside at night. She was so grateful. I am really down down about her absence. She had such a young spirit. Even going to the vet she started crying like she was happy to be going someplace. You don't think that broke my heart. I know the vet so well and knew he wanted me to let him be alone w/her. The other two seem okay but always going in yard thinking she is out there. I wasn't going to mention it until I read your comments and share the same deep pain you must have. My son showed no emotion and when I asked him if he liked the dog? He said she had good life. All you can do is think of the time you shared w/her. The other vet in the same office advised me to put her down when they first took test and found out diabetes. I resent him to this day. The regular vet has been taking care of all my dogs for almost 30 years. He doesn't like to have to do it but he knows the animal doesn't want to live w/no future. She never would get better. Doctor told me just have to work w/how the diabetes affects her. Other dog got more insulin and has had diabetes for almost 7 years now. She was sister to the one that was put down.

Thanks for taking time to share w/us. Most of us are animal lovers some more so than the rest. Be happy that you have other lives around you. I am glad you watch the kids w/your pets. Never ever take your eyes off them. Things can happen so fast no matter how well you mean. This is bad day for me. That void is not soothed w/ anything but time. Don't you think we will get to see them again? I do. I know she will remember me cause I loved her so much and she loved me too. People always disappoint me like your doctor but my animals give me unconditional love. I just wonder why the guy is an animal doctor. Sure is in wrong place. So calleous and insensitive. Even if I smell bad and don't look good.

Be good to yourself. You know she would want you to. She doesn't fault you for what happened. If only they could talk and tell you how they felt.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Im so sorry for your loss Im weeping also because that kind of pain is all too real and almost unbearable.I cant say anything more then what everyone else has said.There is no worse feeling then losing a pet.
Dont feel guilty it was not your fault.Like I always say you fall in love with them and then thay break your heart.But it's more courageous to let them go before they suffer too much.Last summer I lost my redbone totally unexpected.
But think of this, first of all you saved her from a sure death when you found her and gave her a wonderful life.If you get another rescue pet you are doing them the biggest favor of all,first you literally save their lives and then give them the best life ever no matter how long they live, it's all they could wish for and thats your greatest gift to them and in return they love you forever.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Thanks all for the chin ups... still in a realllllly less then pleasant mood but at least not crying at the drop of a hat anymore... started looking though some pics of her (this is her as my avatar), she like to crawl into beds and blankets, I actually had a painting done using my avatar pic... miss her like crazy, she was my alarm clock lol but I'm trying to be reasonable about the guilt issue. Thanks for all those who tried to help.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #27
Master Chef

What a cutie!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear that you're slowly coming to terms---sometimes when I sit down at the computer I miss my Tiffany--she would always climb into my lap and my job was to pet her---emailing and googling came second. Love comes in so many different ways----furry or not. Hang in there, Trip.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Trip, we had to have our beloved dog, Skeeter, put down at 4:45 on Friday. My heart is absolutely broken. I am going through a tough time so I can definately idenify with your pain.

I'm sorry but I'd change vets, also. During the trauma of holding my Skeeter as he eased into his heaven, had the vet begun to give me a lecture, I would have choked him, literally.

My heart aches for you. Time eases the pain but she'll live in your heart forever.

She's beautiful.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #29
Master Chef

Dear Half-Baked,

I'm so sorry to hear of Skeeter's loss---my heart really goes out to you, too.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Thank you very much. It's a sad time at our house but he is in a better world.

Trip and In the Kitchen, I'm so sorry for you both.