"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #1191
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Doctors who don't pay attention to what their patients and the family members are saying. I am so mad right now I can barely stand it!
Hear ya. My sister and my aunt, both nurses, have similar opinions.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #1192
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Doctors who don't pay attention to what their patients and the family members are saying. I am so mad right now I can barely stand it!
I feel that one. Doctors are supposed to be there to help people, not collect a paycheck and congratulate themselves on how great and smart they are. They can't help people if they don't listen.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #1193
Master Chef

Speaking of Doctors who don't listen, have you all seen "The Doctor" a '91 film with Wm. Hurt? If you haven't, rent it.
I think every medical student should be required to see it before they ever see their first patient.
When will so many doctors finally understand they are employees, and get off that high horse attitude?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #1194
Master Chef

Neighbors that don't watch how they open their door. I just had my car partially painted and would not be happy with new door-dings.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #1195
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Grrrr......

I so hear you. that is why i have no gun, i'd be shutting bastards left and right.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #1196
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--I'm heading back to Ontario on Friday. I've been with my folks for almost 8 weeks. In that time, I've had to clean my mother's butt (something I never thought I'd do--and more times than I'd like to recount--sorry--TMI), remind her to put on pants because she dressed for "town" in a top and panties, remade my parents bed because she couldn't find the queen-sized sheets and pinned (with big safety pins) double-sized sheets on the bed, taken a chunk of chocolate out of the linen drawer, kept her from jumping out of the boat 10 miles from shore when we went to the Lake...washed and set her hair, hugged her, and took her to the safety-deposit box to take out the cash she had stashed there because my dad has taken all her money out of her checking account and she likes having some money and screamed at my dad "this can't go on--I can't keep coming here and she can't continue to live like this." "She's fine when you're not here, it is only because you are here--" oh, please, give me a break!) I also have taken her "rollerboard" suitcase back in the house after she has packed it in preparation to "run away" or to come home with me three times now. Needless to say, I am heartbroken about leaving her. I am ANGRY at my father and at her doctor for not recognizing she needs more support (actually, she needs to be in a home or home with me, but short of taking the matter to court and having the rest of my family never speak to me again, I can't do that), I'm at my wits' end. Why is it so hard to get help for seniors? Why is it that the doctors won't help??????? How do you get the other person to stop being in denial? Why do I feel so awful about "enabling" my father when I'm only trying to make things easier for my mom? Where are my brothers? Is it too late for me to get a sex change? I want to be a son instead of the "good daughter" (never mind that I am the only daughter...). Word of advice--work out the care for your family members while they are all still mentally capable. Don't wait until one is no longer able to make decisions and the one who is "in charge" won't. Do I feel better now that I've vented? No. But thanks for reading this.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #1197
Head Chef

Oh, CWS. This really hits home in my house, as I'm sure it will in others. You are certainly in an unenviable position, between that rock and hard place. You have done so much. My mother died from Alzheimer's, but it was my older brother, being the closest nearby, who carried the heaviest burden; I am forever in his debt.

I don't know if I will develop this horrible disease, but whenever I read accounts like yours, I think of my Mom and her many irrational acts, beyond her control. At least she was unaware of her condition -- the only particle of mind's ease to be had. As I approach the age when her illness took hold, I wonder how I can avoid worrying about it, since there's no preventive that I know of.

So sad...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #1198
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh--I'm heading back to Ontario on Friday. I've been with my folks for almost 8 weeks. In that time, I've had to clean my mother's butt (something I never thought I'd do--and more times than I'd like to recount--sorry--TMI), remind her to put on pants because she dressed for "town" in a top and panties, remade my parents bed because she couldn't find the queen-sized sheets and pinned (with big safety pins) double-sized sheets on the bed, taken a chunk of chocolate out of the linen drawer, kept her from jumping out of the boat 10 miles from shore when we went to the Lake...washed and set her hair, hugged her, and took her to the safety-deposit box to take out the cash she had stashed there because my dad has taken all her money out of her checking account and she likes having some money and screamed at my dad "this can't go on--I can't keep coming here and she can't continue to live like this." "She's fine when you're not here, it is only because you are here--" oh, please, give me a break!) I also have taken her "rollerboard" suitcase back in the house after she has packed it in preparation to "run away" or to come home with me three times now. Needless to say, I am heartbroken about leaving her. I am ANGRY at my father and at her doctor for not recognizing she needs more support (actually, she needs to be in a home or home with me, but short of taking the matter to court and having the rest of my family never speak to me again, I can't do that), I'm at my wits' end. Why is it so hard to get help for seniors? Why is it that the doctors won't help??????? How do you get the other person to stop being in denial? Why do I feel so awful about "enabling" my father when I'm only trying to make things easier for my mom? Where are my brothers? Is it too late for me to get a sex change? I want to be a son instead of the "good daughter" (never mind that I am the only daughter...). Word of advice--work out the care for your family members while they are all still mentally capable. Don't wait until one is no longer able to make decisions and the one who is "in charge" won't. Do I feel better now that I've vented? No. But thanks for reading this.
Well, short of knocking her down to break a hip and getting her in the system that way...not much. You have to call the state Elder Abuse line, report the conditions in her living situation and alienate the rest of your family to take care of your mother. Your are NOT reporting your Father for abuse, but rather for being unable to take appropriate care for your Mom.

This is NOT a failure...it's life for the elderly.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #1199
Executive Chef

Grrr. I was helping the hubby move some of the heavier stuff from our house to storage. He was moving something into the storage lot and I decided to be helpful and save time by moving the mattress into the lot since it's light enough for me to move by myself. Except I tripped while moving it and landed elbow first with my arm straight onto the arm of a chair. I felt my elbow bend backwords a little and then pain. Elbow isn't broken but I did over-extend it and it's soar enough that I can't lift anything very heavy or even reach around behind me to undo my own bra :( Not happy. So it's wrapped and I'm icing and elevating and resting while the hubby is still working. Took some ibuprofen and if it's still really bad or starts to swell or gets worse I'll get it checked. For now I'm just pouting a little because there is so much to get done and it's really not fair if the hubby ends up having to do most of it because I'm a clutz.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1200
Everymom

Ooooo! Sucks! Been there. I couldn't even brush my teeth. Turned out I tore the fascia around my elbow joint. It was a bit ugly. Took me WEEKS to heal up.