"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

When I read the posts for what everyone is making for dinner I wonder how everyone maintains their weight. I am from the school of eat whatever just not all of it. I don't go for any of the diets that restrict one food type or another. If I eat a large lunch then dinner is less. Breakfast is always light. I don't snack. Lots of water. I try to make my foods healthyish without all sorts of added calories and fat. Wicked bad fun foods a must on a occasion! And of course a work out.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
quite ironic that the word DIE is in DIEt :)

you really don`t need anything Fancy (trust me!) 3 meals a day at regular times.

the Science behind this is quite simple, eat One meal a day or at irregular times, and your body doesn`t know when it`s going to eat next, and so it will store what it has when it has it (this results in Weight gain),

feed it regularly and often, it will bypass the need to store energy totaly.

now combine that with excersize, and you`ll be burning more than you store or consume, you also gain added musculature that requires energy to opperate and so eventualy it`s a feedback loop and lose weight NATURALY.

non of this fancy diet garbage, just pure Evolutionary Genetics.

simple eh :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

I don't diet, never have, never will. I exercise regulary and I utilize portion control. Eat what I want, just try to stick to the serving size that is suggested. Sometimes I splurge on a nice meal, then my next meal I try to compensate for it by eating a smaller meal that is more healthful. Once you get the word diet out of your head, I think it is much easier to reach your goals. Stay away from pills, and fad diets... just eat what you want, exercise, and portion control. OH, when you are eating, take smaller bites and eat slowly!!! That will help the over eating or splurging thing that can happen when you are eating something really good!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #14
Head Chef

Being on a diet is hard. First you must drink 8 glasses of water of day. You must watch your calorie and fat intake each day.

I know a lot of people who have joined Weight Watchers and going to meetings each week and weighing in is really great for them.

I have not been to a meeting but I think they sell food or you can find it in the frozen department of your market.

Good Luck.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

YT2095 has something there. Diet is just a word for what we eat. When meals are skipped it starts storing stuff. Comes from our cave man days when eating wasn't a regular thing. The body stored what it could to prevent starvation. Long intervals between meals. Our bodies haven't changed all that much so when we skip meals, every slows then we tend to binge on that one big meal while our metabolism is at it's slowest for burning calories and BAM. XXXtra pounds.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
well, there is a flip side too. 3 squares a day is good, but it is recommended to eat 5 times a throughout the day. By incorporating 2 small healthy snacks in with the 3 squares, it helps jump start the metabolism and keeps the furnace burning.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Head Chef

Push your chair back from the table and get involved with something else for a few hours. When you are at home, work on your geneology or a friend's geneology. If you have children living in your home, play with them. They might have to teach you the games. When you go to the library stay off the isle with pet books & cookbooks. Instead go to the travel section, study and start mapping out a dream vacation. Stop watching TV and start listening to the radio. Start using the regular stall in the restroom and stay out of the "master" stall. Start dressing up and stay out of the old compfy one size fits all stretch wear.
Loose the booze!
Old 04-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Start using the regular stall in the restroom and stay out of the "master" stall.
I don't get it.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #19
Cook

I hear you Chami. I'm on a mission to lose 10lbs by June 15th. I'm doing 40 minutes of walking a day plus 30 minutes tae bo and I'm cutting down desserts to once a week and wine to one glass a week.

Let's see how that goes.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #20
Head Chef

Start using the regular stall in the restroom and stay out of the "master" stall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I don't get it.
We all know that the "master stall" is the large one even though there is not a sign on the door that says so. It is very convenient for a parent taking their children to the bathroom. And every other comfort to one needing a larger area.

When dieting, you should be looking for that "happy medium" in all things. And it should include things like the bathroom stall. (no more standing in line for me, I lost ten pounds....I'm using a regular stall!)