"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Here's what I don't like:

#1) The instant contact with someone else. Practically every day that I work, PeppA, my other half, starts calling my phone (which I leave in my locker) to see if I'm on my way home. On days where I get out in the afternoon, I may want to go run some errands, or stop someplace and try to swing my metal detector, see some friends, etc. Instead, she'll call me and insist that I come straight home. There are times I either won't answer my phone, or just turn the darn thing off.

#2) Contracts. I can't stand them. They're just a way for the company to pull more money out of you than you actually need to pay.

I use a pre-paid Boost Phone. I buy, on average, one $20 airtime card once every two months. That's $10/month for service, no contract, no extra fees if I can't afford more time, etc.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Guess Buck and I haven't joined the communication junkies. We've had a TracFone for about 3 years and only use it if one or the other of us is away. Otherwise it sits in a cabinet in the kitchen. We spend about $6 per month and have almost 3 hours of unused minutes on it at the moment.

We consider our cell phone to be an emergency tool rather than an instrument of communication. We enjoy a phone conversation as much as the next person, but we're not married to our telephone...cell or otherwise.

As a matter of fact, we turn off our phone at home when we go to bed. If anyone needs to reach us in an emergency, we're easy to find. Have been doing this for nearly 20 years with no problems.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
Master Chef

I work for one of the major cell phone companies and trust me, I have seen it all and what is worse, I truly hate the misuse of our product, but think it is one of the best inventions ever.

I hate to see 2 people out on a date or outing and one is sitting there or walking while the other is chatting on the phone to someone else... RUDE!!!

Loud talking, loud ringers, basic cell phone etiquette????

Seeing people so INVOLVED texting or whatever it is they are doing that they don't pay attention what they are doing.

kids-bikes-cell phones..... BIG NO NO!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to obiwan9962 Send a message via Yahoo to obiwan9962
i had one because i needed it for the hotel i worked for
as soon as i left the place the phone was in the toilet
lol
i had so many dead batteries
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
Master Chef

OH one other thing.... all those people who walk around all day with one of those do-hickeys stuck to their ear!!! And they take a call and just start talking when you were talking to them!!! ARGGGGHHH!!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
Head Chef

My cell phone beef -

people carrying on conversations on their cells in the elevator with me
text messaging or talking while driving
talking in your cell phone in the grocery - it totaly ruins my happy zen grocery shopping time and ticks me off!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
The dropped calls.

People talking on the phone in the theater/restaraunt etc...

People ignorig their kids 'cause they're too busy gabbing about
who said what about whom the night before.

Trying to wait on a customer who's too busy takling to tell you what
they want when there's a line of other people behind them.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

My sister carries her cell phone everywhere but never turns it on because she wasn't expecting a call.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #29
Master Chef

I really appreciate those Dr.'s and Dentists' offices kindly requesting you to turn off your cell phone before the visit. Can you imagine in the middle of a gyn exam or a dental procedure, a patient answering a phone? In a juevenile traffic court in Houston, TX (my 16 year old daughter got caught speeding--duh-uh), one of the judges actually had the bailiff announce that if anyone's cell phone went off during the proceedings they would be held in contempt and spend a night in jail. Never saw so many phones being whipped out and movement of fingers!!!!

A neighbor/cop told me of this safety procedure when driving with cell phone users behind you. When the driver in front of you signals a turn or brake lights come on, you do the same, so that the potential cell phone user behind you sees you and will slow down, too, even if you really don't intend to turn left or right. Then after the car makes its turn click off your signal. At least I've never been rearended using this method. And we know how many people are out there driving without insurance.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
I really appreciate those Dr.'s and Dentists' offices kindly requesting you to turn off your cell phone before the visit. Can you imagine in the middle of a gyn exam or a dental procedure, a patient answering a phone? In a juevenile traffic court in Houston, TX (my 16 year old daughter got caught speeding--duh-uh), one of the judges actually had the bailiff announce that if anyone's cell phone went off during the proceedings they would be held in contempt and spend a night in jail. Never saw so many phones being whipped out and movement of fingers!!!!

A neighbor/cop told me of this safety procedure when driving with cell phone users behind you. When the driver in front of you signals a turn or brake lights come on, you do the same, so that the potential cell phone user behind you sees you and will slow down, too, even if you really don't intend to turn left or right. Then after the car makes its turn click off your signal. At least I've never been rearended using this method. And we know how many people are out there driving without insurance.
You just reminded me of accident I had when my mother and i had been to Farmer's Market w/all wonderful produce in the back.

We were on main highway and had to stop suddenly for construction project due to man holding sign to stop. Evidently happened fairly quickly as when I applied my brakes, guy behind us didn't. He admitted he had dropped his phone and reached down to get it. I will never forget having to throw most of the produce away due to damage to the back.

Just another reason I hate those phones. Another reason to be stressed when driving. If other driver isn't eating he is on the phone.