"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #71
Sous Chef

Sweet, slightly rotting fall leaves- just love the smell

Woodsmoke, especially on clothing-probably a connection with favorite family camping trips as a kid

Any freshly sliced or broken citrus- smells fresh, like sunshine

Wind-dried clothes, but only if they haven't been laundered in anything scented- the scent equivalent of slipping into cool freshwater on a sweltering day (Thanks to PAG for reminding me to stop and smell my clothes yesterday!)

A breastfed baby's head, the second day after a bath so they smell like baby again instead of baby shampoo

Tom kha- something about the combo of kaffir leaf, lime juice and coconut milk together. Every time I eat it I spend a full minute or so first just smelling it, devouring it with my nose.

I could start adding in the smells of various foods cooking, but I think the above are probably my absolute favorite aromas.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #72
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Love the smells in the country, especially in the spring & fall: Newly upturned black dirt in the fields, morning dew at sunrise, freshly mowed grass, apple blossoms, lilac's, mulberry tree blossoms, harvest time with combining the wheat. My Dh & daughter both have terrible allergies & cannot stand these things, I miss them sometimes.
I used to love the smell of my parents' apple tree in bloom, but I developed allergies as an adult and now it just makes me sneeze. :(
I can still enjoy hay bales, thankfully!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

Citrus in bloom.

The combination of cut grass, pool chlorine and coconut - just screams summer!

That briney, seaweedy sandy smell of the ocean.

Now for the weird ones - swamp muck in the spring time after a rain.

Cool tobacco barn after the sticks of tobacco have been hung, dried and removed.

Old wooden house.

A hat worn by a man I love.

I think all my favorite smells have a direct relationship to good times in my life.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Right now, the smell of cooked bacon wafting through the house.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #75
Head Chef

Besides a lot of the things mentioned here already----

The odor you get when you press your nose up against the neck of a horse.
Heaven.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Now, it just goes to show how different we all can be. Sandalwood incense, any incense, really, nauseates me. Mostly because I smell it and think of my druggie ex husband. The entire purpose on incense in the early 70s, I think, was to mask the smell of pot, which is another hated odor (refuse to call it a fragrance!). The sense of smell is a very strong one in your brain and can lead to many memories, more than a photo or a taste.
I never smoked pot when I was a student because the smell when other people smoked it brought me near to vomiting.

I was a bridesmaid at a cousin's wedding when I was seven. I was on my best behaviour but stole the show by fainting. The 13th century church's wood work had been treated for death watch beetle very recently and the smell was awful. Mindful of my promise to be good I made it through the ceremony going, so I was told, greener by the minute. I don't know how I made it to the vestry where the couple has to sign the register but I did and keeled over just inside the door. I came to sitting in the outside doorway with my head between my knees. Not a good omen for the success of the match. Cousin's marriage didn't last but I don't think it was all my fault.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Besides a lot of the things mentioned here already----

The odor you get when you press your nose up against the neck of a horse.
Heaven.
Oh, YES!!!!!

Not how you would imagine a horse to smell if you didn't know. (Much nicer than babies - sorry Addie)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #78
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Oh, YES!!!!!

Not how you would imagine a horse to smell if you didn't know. (Much nicer than babies - sorry Addie)
Now, here's TMI and no one else will believe this----- but horse poop doesn't even smell too bad (not that I'd want to bottle it LOL or track inside my house.)

Dog, cat, cow poop -----all really yucky! Not horse poop.

I have a tiny coil basket that I made from the tail hair of my beloved Justin (It's a horse, guys!). When I want a fix I can always sniff it.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the smell of horse.

Lilacs

Lavender

The old Albany County Public Library.

Good cigar and pipe tobacco.

Rain storm