What can you tell me about sleepwalking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I havn't walked in my sleep in many years, but I have done it. We moved every few years when I was a kid (and actually much of my adult life) and in those times of stress, I did sleep walk. If you are a loved one of a sleep-walker, just take them by the hand and take them back to bed. Wake them or not, it doesn't matter. Yes, it is scary to know you could be doing something you are totally unconscious of. Are you going through a stressful part of life? When I was up for a security clearance I was asked if I walked/talked in my sleep. I think I was honest, and still got the clearance. That was many years ago.

Talking in sleep is funny. I do it all the time. My husband tells me I spout gibberish -- can't understand a word I say. I have a sister who you can have an entire conversation with, then she'll come up with an answer that makes no sense at all and you'll realize she was asleep the entire time. I didn't understand what my husband was saying when he said he couldn't understand a word I say until I recently stayed with a freind in a hotel and she did it. As with everything else, every body is different.

Last edited:
I have only done this once that I know of and I was probably about 8 or so. I figure I slept walk because I woke up sitting on a bean bag, in front of the tv in total darkness at around 4 in the morning. When I woke up, the first thought I had is why the cartoons were not on, the second one was how did I get out here in the first place? Very strange!

I have episodes of it now, but it is related to Ambien which I take from time to time to help me sleep. Hubby tells me I do all sorts of stuff and I don't remember any of it.

I think I talk in my sleep sometimes. If you are in a true dream state you aren't supposed to be able to move (much) but I have awakened myself by shouting and even crying in my sleep (tears running down my face). Again, during times of stress.

Fraidy

sattie said:
I have episodes of it now, but it is related to Ambien which I take from time to time to help me sleep. Hubby tells me I do all sorts of stuff and I don't remember any of it.

I take Valerian Root capsules or melatonin to help me sleep and both of them give me very vivid dreams. I remember them, but I don't get up and walk around anymore... at least I don't think I do. I live alone except for a cat and a small parrot and they aren't talking. :LOL:

Fraidy

As far as either my wife or I know, I did not leave the bed last night. Even though this was a bit disturbing, we have been laughing about it non stop since yesterday.

I had forgotten, until this thread, that I used to talk in my sleep all the time as a kid. I would talk complete nonsense, but it sounded like I really had something important to say. I had forgotten all about that.

GB - my son has sleepwalked for years..He is now 10 yrs old... He will also sit up in his sleep and start talking ... sometimes he will be acting out whatever he is talking about - for instance if he is dreaming about working on his bike he will actually turn his hands as if he had a tool in them - scary to see....I have woke him up and nothing bad happened - I have to be carefull though..One time abt 2 years ago I woke up and felt cold air - Had a sliding patio door - it was open - went to close and there was my son asleep.... he was half outside in the snow and half inside the house...blocked and locked door because that really shook me up!!!

Wow GB, I just found this thread... it would totally freak me out if something like this happened to me. I talk in my sleep(or let out some undistinguishable slur while I strain myself to articulate in my dream), or even laugh in my sleep quite often, but sleepwalking never happened to me.
One of Cristiano's good friends is an accomplished sleep anyalist/psychologist. When I get a chance I will ask him for some advice.

GB, I feel for you! I know exactly how you are feeling. Are you taking any new medications, vitamins, supplements, anything? The reason why I ask is because my recent sleepwalking was linked to some herbal rememdies I was taking.

I started sleep walking in March, ironically enough, shortly after I started taking valerian root. Like FraidKnot, I had very vivid dreams but was getting up to go to the bathroom without remembering it - DH told me and I suspected it when I did not awake with a full bladder. Anyways, I only took the valerian root for a couple of weeks but the waking to go potty without me remembering continued. AT the end of July I started taking St. John's Wart for stress. The nightly potty breaks continued but things got worse, I was moving furniture around, acting like I was playing with my son and talking to him, even wandering the house - going downstairs to the kitchen and even further into the basement! DH videotaped me - very scary. DH travels and I got scared that I would wander in the kids bedrooms. Sure enough, it happened - I didn't hurt them, just tucked them in, but still, it is very scary. I went to the doc the next day and he was baffled (just what you want to hear from your doc) and amused at my video! Anyways, he suggested I stop the St. Johns Wart. I was ready for a CT scan and the works but he wanted to try this first, I was just convinced I had a brain tumor! While waiting for the St. Johns Wart to get out of my system doc suggested I lay off my nightcap of whiskey - voila! - The sleepwalking stopped! The supplements are out of my body, I am back to my nightcap and all is well. Later my doctor told me that those types of supplements as well as some anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds like prozac have been linked to sleepwalking. I have always had my nightcaps and have even taken prozac way back when and never had this reaction - his response - things have changed and you have changed. Oh well, I hope this was helpful and I hope you can find an end to the sleepwalking, it is a disturbing feeling.

Thanks Licia. I would LOVE to hear what Cristiano's friend has to say!

MM I have not been taking any vitamins or supplements or anything else. None of my normal habits have changed at all. My wife seems to think that I am under more stress than I am admitting and my body is showing it in other ways. I do not think she is right, but she could be I suppose.

Gb are you currently taking any prescription drugs ?
If so sleepwalking CAN be sleepwalking. It has happened
to my mom. She would get up get something to eat,
drink some tea and have an incoherant conversation
with me. The next morning she had no recollection of
that happening. Once she got off the meds she stopped.
My sister too was a sleepwalker at a very young age but
she outgrew it.

I too have occasions with sleepwalking and have very active dreams. I've found myself having numerous dreams a night. I can always tell the next morning if it was an endless stream of negative dreams as I'll wake up totally exhausted or with the blues. I love it when the dreams are upbeat and funny......I dreamt last night my nephew had this really fat dog and I was so shocked when I saw it.....it'd just had pups and it belly was swaying......it stood up on its hind legs and got a big grin on its face and started twisting its own nipples............I kid you not:ROFLMAO: . I woke up laughing.
Anyway back to the sleepwalking. I find it happens when I've been under a great deal of stress or when my dreams take me into a very very deep sleep.

P. S. If your modest I suggest you keep your undies on.......don't want to give the neighbors a peep show incase you decide to go for a walk.....:LOL:

One time a freind saw me at the library, and saw the stack of books I was checking out (I read 3-5 books/week). He said, "you must have some amazing dreams!" I never made the connection, but on top of talking in my sleep (occaisionally screaming), I do have very, very vivid dreams. I do NOT belive they mean anything. Since, at this point in my life, I do not have to go to work, I just let everything settle naturally (i.e., I dont take any drugs for my insomnia/nightmares, I just get up and write to you guys and everyone else!). I don't believe dreams have any meaning. If I did, I'd be in an insane assylum. When I have horrid nightmares, my husband just gently wakes me and I go back to sleep. Haven't walked for many years (and let's hope it stays that way!).

I sleepwalked a lot when I was a kid. Once my mom said I came in the livingroom with my bedspread over my head and said, "Trick-or-treat." When I was about 14 my dad and I used to go jogging together in the evenings. They said that one night I walked to the front door, opened it, said "Oh I forgot my tennis shoes," and went back to bed. I talk in my sleep too. I don't think I have sleepwalked in years but I do get night terrors. Some of them have been pretty mild but some have scared me half to death. During one of my last ones I thought I saw James standing over me in a threatening manner. He was actually asleep, until I whacked him really hard (to protect myself) and woke him up! Poor guy.

Not to scare you, but sleepwalking can be bad. I heard about one guy who sleepwalked and got on a train. My uncle dove out a second story window in his sleep. He landed on concrete but fortunately all he ended up with was a broken wrist.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom