What do you feed your kittens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
My vet recommended Science Diet and Iams but the food seems to make the kittens stools too soft and very runny. I had hubby take samples down to the vet. He called them and they cannot find the test results. :mad:
I plan a vet visit on Monday . Meanwhile I researched about runny stools and I found that I could give the kittens boiled chicken and rice. I gave them some tonight, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
I plan to get some quality kitten food so wanted to know what you give your kitties.

LadyCook

Our kittens start out pretty feral, but become "people" kitties pretty soon. I'm referring to our outside kitties. Haven't had any inside kittens in years.

However, having said the above, once the kitties are at the age to eat solid food they are introduced to what their mommy eats, along with a dish of milk.

I feed out outside kitties twice a day. In the morning, they get a good dose of dry food and about 1/2 cup of warmed milk.

At suppertime, they get some dry food mixed with some chopped bread, meat juices and chopped meat from our scraps and more milk.

At bedtime, they get another dose of milk.

Yep, they're spoiled. Never had any stool problems and their coats are awesomely shiny and silky.

Now, just to put folks at rest about the milk thing. I mix up dry milk with water.

As for the "meat juices" part of their meal, I save all the cuttings from chicken, beef, pork, etc. and put them into a pot with some water and simmer it to make a "soup" of sorts. This is what is spooned over their evening meal. It's a way to use up our meat waste without throwing it out.

I feed mine Iams. When they were small and just being weaned, I would get cat milk from PetSmart and mix a little in with the canned Iams. It may just be a matter of getting them accustomed to a regular diet. I've noticed if I change my cats food, they have runny stools.

When they got old enough to be able to eat dry cat food, that is all that I feed them now. Dry Iams. They all have soft, beautiful coats and no health problems.

Here's our youngest, Iddy

Attachments

• iddy.jpg
    iddy.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
My vet recommended Science Diet and Iams but the food seems to make the kittens stools too soft and very runny. I had hubby take samples down to the vet. He called them and they cannot find the test results. :mad:
I plan a vet visit on Monday . Meanwhile I researched about runny stools and I found that I could give the kittens boiled chicken and rice. I gave them some tonight, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
I plan to get some quality kitten food so wanted to know what you give your kitties.

LadyCook

i fed my kahula cat science diet his whole life. started thomas on it. the price has gone up so much and a special trip to pet store is a pain.

now i feed thomas purania one, the chicken and rice one. he is doing fine on it . baby kittens are subject to loose stools for many reasons.

babe:-p

we fed charlotte & tig friskies or whiskas & snacks of people food, like chips, meat milk & ice cream, & stuff like that.they're healthy with shiny fur. they snubbed science diet.
one of my cats would only eat mashed potatoes as a kitten.

I have had all maner and sort of dog and cat critters. Pretty much, the universal answer to digestive problems, loose stool, diaharea and what have you has always been chicken and rice. The only alternative I could suggest is lamb and rice, lamb digests easier.

The rice stops the runs or solidifies things. Both have good protien.

It has never failed me.

Our babies ate a mix of Iams and Pro Plan dry kitten food and now they are eating the same mixture in adult cat food. They just turned a year old. I had to stop the kitten food at six months, because the male was getting too fat on it. The female actually is a bigger eater, but is far more active.

i fed my kahula cat science diet his whole life. started thomas on it. the price has gone up so much and a special trip to pet store is a pain.

now i feed thomas purania one, the chicken and rice one. he is doing fine on it . baby kittens are subject to loose stools for many reasons.

babe:-p

thomas is a very strange cat but then aren't they all. he never eats any meat or fish or chicken i offer to him.

he will however eat water melon, honey dew, mango,cantalope. and bananas. he can always know when i am preparing any of the above and he comes running. odd huh !

babe
course years ago i had a tom that loved ripe olives. lol

:-p:-p

Back
Top Bottom