What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I love doing needlework. It has given me great pleasure and some cute stuff over the years.

It kept me from going crazy when things were crazy, and always, always, gave me an escape into a world where I could think clearly about a problem.

You can't stay tense while doing needlework. In order for the item to be pretty, you had to relax and keep good tension. Just picking up your latest project when you got home from work was a great way to calm yourself after the excitement of the day, including traffic...and weather and family members' bad days.

I'm impressed by the beautiful candles.... I'm sorry, I recognize the pretty work but I'm bad on names.

So, please forgive me for that.

I've been wanting to start this thread because many of us do needlework or crafts.

Now that we've almost passed the year end, I'd just like to ask you other DCers,

"What else are you making?

Last edited:
I am slowly putting together a cookbook of my very best recipes for my kids. That way they don't have to spend years looking for the best chocolate chip recipe or the best spiach recipe et. as I have done. Also they know where to find the recipes that I always use in the event of my demise.

still working on a princess album for four year old great granddaughter. it includes photos of her with each princess at disneyland. i stop and start but for some unknown reason, i don't get it done. it will come in a burst of creativity. that's how most of my projects get finished. can't deal with crochet or embroider. do knit occasionally but really have to be in the mood.

Don't recall anyone here but me that works with wax.
Got that " Monkey" on my back all the time.

I like to do stitchery as well. Never caught on to crochet.
Sketch when the mood hits. Learning how to make real soap is next on my list..

Munky.

Don't recall anyone here but me that works with wax.
Got that " Monkey" on my back all the time.

I like to do stitchery as well. Never caught on to crochet.
Sketch when the mood hits. Learning how to make real soap is next on my list..

Munky.

You're the one with the pretty candles. I thought it was you.

Stitchery is a big subject. Cross stitch (ACK!) But Crewel I like. Real embroidery with floss is so beautiful.

For a time I did needlepoint and some crewel.

Then life turned itself upside down and I was sitting in a open air bar about a block from my Mom's house, and in walks my girlfriend Maggie, with a skein of yarn in one hand and a crochet hook in the other.

I took one look at her and added crochet back into my life and I've never looked back.

I do sew a bit. I learned to sew or started to learn at 12. That's also when I got her to teach me to crochet, and knit.

I like to do alterations. I'll get me a bunch of denim, or throw away clothes and make things out of them. I worked for a dry cleaners as their seamstress for a while.

Each new project is a hands on lesson. Fabrics and how they act. Irons and what damage they can do if too hot. To steam or not to steam. I got it right, or right most of the time, and figured out better ways for next time.

Can't wait to learn the next new trick.

Last edited:
I am slowly putting together a cookbook of my very best recipes for my kids. That way they don't have to spend years looking for the best chocolate chip recipe or the best spiach recipe et. as I have done. Also they know where to find the recipes that I always use in the event of my demise.

I am doing this too! Although many recipes I have are still in the test kitchen because I haven't been a good cook for very long. :chef:

My MIL did crewel. She made some beautiful creative bedspreads with it.

I prefer my stitchery ( Cross stitching) I like to have the finished projects framed or made into throw pillows for my room. I'm the one that got kicked out of Home Ec. Sewing isn't my thing. I still laugh about that. Crafts class was better suited for me. Look at me now? LOL!!

Wax.. Bought a kit one day. Taught myself the ropes and haven't looked back. It's a pricey hobby to have. Takes up a lot of room though. I've half of one full wall in the garage stacked with wax 5 brands in all and other supplies to last a lifetime. Not including all my vats, molds, that pretty much takes up the rest of the wall, and what's inside the house.. I'd say I got a problem! LOL!

It's been good creative company for me.The house always smells nice.

Munky.

I go through phases when I crochet a lot. Sometimes I sew. I also do stuff with pressed dried flowers. I have in the past, and intend to do again, done Seminole patchwork. Same for making candles. Right now, I'm in a cooking/baking phase. :)

Over the years it has been many different things, but for the last decade or two it has been beadwork. I love the fact that I can look at a piece of clothing, then in a week can have jewelry to match. I just love looking at the trays full of glass (my favorite medium). I used to work with it more, but I still have my husband's old wooden toy box filled with glass a crystal.

I go through phases when I crochet a lot. Sometimes I sew. I also do stuff with pressed dried flowers. I have in the past, and intend to do again, done Seminole patchwork. Same for making candles. Right now, I'm in a cooking/baking phase. :)

I always have a project going on regardless of my cooking phases.

If it's out where I can reach it and see it, it will get done. The trick is having something laying around where it nags you to pick it up.

If I put it away, forget it, out of sight, out of mind and nothing gets made.

Over the years it has been many different things, but for the last decade or two it has been beadwork. I love the fact that I can look at a piece of clothing, then in a week can have jewelry to match. I just love looking at the trays full of glass (my favorite medium). I used to work with it more, but I still have my husband's old wooden toy box filled with glass a crystal.

I envy you being able to do that. Such pretty patterns. A friend of mine made earrings and sold them at flea markets.

My eyesight won't let me do this one.

I always have a project going on regardless of my cooking phases.

If it's out where I can reach it and see it, it will get done. The trick is having something laying around where it nags you to pick it up.

If I put it away, forget it, out of sight, out of mind and nothing gets made.

I need a tidier house before I dare leave something else out. I'm working on that. I like leaving stuff out too much :ermm:

I have lots of projects, mostly revolving aroung writing. I just got another one going, writing up a lesson plan for an Inservice I'll be teaching next month. I'm also in the middle of my experiences of living with Colitis...and one on working with the Elderly, and one on...

And my cookbook...

I have lots of projects, mostly revolving aroung writing. I just got another one going, writing up a lesson plan for an Inservice I'll be teaching next month. I'm also in the middle of my experiences of living with Colitis...and one on working with the Elderly, and one on...

And my cookbook...

How is the cookbook coming?

I love to sew.Most of is when Grand daughter
wants a new dress. Used to own 3 knitting
machines.can crochet also, haven't done it in
years.
Right now I am compiling recipies on cd for
my sister, she dosen't do much on the internet.
Would love to learn how to make soap.
also have a garden and do a lot of canning.

Josie

:clap:Wow, I guess you like to keep busy.

I finally put away the sewing. I was ready to thread the needle when I couldn't find my magnifier.

A friend stopped by and I realized how much clutter I was going to have to look through to find it.

I put away all but the skirt and put away the iron, board and starch that was clogging my walkway.

I remembered when I had this threading problem, I had reworked the wire needle threader so that it would pull the thread through the eye front to back.

I couldn't do it on my last machine. It just wouldn't bend correctly and get the wire through the eye from behind. This one slipped right in. YAY

Anyway, now that I've cleaned up, and solved my threading problem, I can get back to the skirt.:clap:

Last edited:
How is the cookbook coming?

I have to go through it and tidy many entries, making sure all are in the same font and size, etc. Trying to flesh out some of my instructions...I know what they mean, but others would be confused. My DC section is almost a whole cookbook on it's own.:LOL:

I knit, just scarf's at the moment in plain and pearl, but I'm getting better and may attempt a sweater soon enough.

I knit, just scarf's at the moment in plain and pearl, but I'm getting better and may attempt a sweater soon enough.

In knitting and crochet maintaining the tension is most important.

Practice on your scarves to let your hands learn to maintain the tension. This is why it is relaxing to do.

After a hard day you pick up your work and start in. After a really bad day, you'll probably have to undo some stitches until you have relaxed your hands enough to maintain a decent tension.

Next would be to change colors. Make the scarf really POP. It'll keep you coming back just wanting to see that next color.

The technique for changing colors isn't really hard, and there are plenty of people here who can walk you through it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom