"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: What is the First Thing You Check on Nutrition Labels?
Fat 1 5.56%
Cholesterol 0 0%
Sodium 9 50.00%
Carbohydrate 5 27.78%
Sugar 0 0%
Fiber 0 0%
Protein 0 0%
Other (Please specify below) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the amount of sodium that is used in foods, be they restaurant or packaged. I firmly believe that our taste buds become acclimated to the stuff, so more and more is needed to achieve that "seasoned" flavor.
(Has anyone noticed Anne Burrells salt bucket on her counter in her show????)
So, of course sodium is what I check first....

but what I mostly check is comparing store and generic items to name brands. As far
as I am concerned, if they have the same ingredients in the same order there's no reason to buy the more expensive one... with a few exceptions of course.
I agree, on all counts!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #32
Sous Chef

I always check carbohydrates first then fat

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I check for preservatives first, and for any aluminum derivatives. Then I check the fat content.

I have to be honest, I look at the label of everything I buy and some stuff isn't worth my hard earned cash.
Same hear. Every now and then I check the ingredients on stuff that I buy regularly. You never know when they are going to start adding something weird - natamycin (an antibiotic) in cheese, microcrystalline cellulose in cream, etc.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
First the net weight, to evaluate the value of the product. Second the sodium content. If it is too high I don't even look at other ingredients.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
As I said, I look at other things as well. Someone mentioned high fructose corn syrup--that is one I look for too. It is amazing how many things they put that in now. I also look at the origin of the product, as LAJ does.

I agree with Andy, what I look for often depends on what the product is. And, like Andy, I look to see how much of something is in a product. I'm glad they started listing the ingredients ranked from the highest content to lowest.

I always check the labels of anything that says low-fat or reduced fat, to see what they are replacing the fat with. Usually it is sugar. I am trying to reduce the sodium in my diet, but I hate the flavor of "No Salt Added" canned vegetables. They just taste flat to me. I either buy fresh, frozen, or regular canned.

Barbara

I love them. Back in the day we used to cook down canned salt added green beans with bacon????? Now I just heat the no salt green beans sprinkled with Lemon Pepper. As far as the tomatoes, they taste like fresh to me. In a pinch I use them well drained in place of fresh (don't have or winter tomaotes are not good) on Tacos, dips ect. I would buy all canned unsalted vegetables if I could find them in my local stores. My suggestion to you is to experiement with different spices with the salt free products.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Expiration date
Portion size
Nutritional Information
Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 AM   #37
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I love them. Back in the day we used to cook down canned salt added green beans with bacon????? Now I just heat the no salt green beans sprinkled with Lemon Pepper. As far as the tomatoes, they taste like fresh to me. In a pinch I use them well drained in place of fresh (don't have or winter tomaotes are not good) on Tacos, dips ect. I would buy all canned unsalted vegetables if I could find them in my local stores. My suggestion to you is to experiement with different spices with the salt free products.
Good idea.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #38
Master Chef

I tend to buy store brands when I first move someplace new, then either continue to buy them (if I like) or go back to "name brands" if not (for example some places I've lived the canned green beans had a lot of stems and strings; on the other hand, when living in Florida, the Publix brand of same were far better than any name brand).