"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

What is your favorite dollar store item?

I rarely think of even going to the dollar store and I don't know why. There are so many great items there for only a dollar! I found some really cute party favors for my daughter's birthday party for much less than at any other store the other day.

What have you found at the dollar store that was great?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I really don't like eating off paper or plastic and drinking hot beverages or wine/beer from plastic or foam is a turn off for me. So I fill a travel/picnic hamper with inexpensive glass and china and flatware for such events. I pack it between terry napkins, and bring it all home minus the garbage if disposable. With a dishwasher at home and recycling, it not only serves my preferences but also is my "green" contribution. Yet this service ware is not expensive so if there is breakage, no big deal. The dollar store is great for such items, as well as the hamper to carry it all in.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
We buy a spray cleaner called "Awesome", and it is ! Even many at the campground use it on their campers and 5th wheels, son keeps one in his car, laundry room, kitchen etc.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
We buy a spray cleaner called "Awesome", and it is ! Even many at the campground use it on their campers and 5th wheels, son keeps one in his car, laundry room, kitchen etc.
The woman who runs our office print room swears by that stuff.

I like the dollar stores although they sell alot of junky stuff.

I buy all sorts of tolietries and cleaning products because those are way overpriced at the large pharmacy or supermarkets.

they had 10 for $1 seed packets this year

The "hard good" that I buy there often is drinking glasses... they tend to have large chunky all purpose glasses I have some nice glassware but I like to have the cheap stuff around. We break them with regularity... actually it is time to replenish soon as I am down to very few
Old 05-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

the ballons suck. they start losing "altitude" within a day.

but the caps for cap guns are good! 120 rounds for a dollar.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Christmas before last we didn't have any money to buy Christmas presents for each other, but we wanted to do something. So we went to the Dollar Tree and bought a couple of their "Mom" and "Dad" grab-bags, so we had something to open on Christmas morning!

Barbara
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I really like the little mise en place bowls at some of the dollar stores near here. They're heavy, oven safe, and similar to the ones I've seen AB use, actually. There's a 4 pack of (roughly) 1/3 cup bowls, a 3 pack of 1/2 cup bowls, a 2 pack of 3/4 cup bowls, and single packs of 2 cup bowls. All packages are only a dollar and I use them all the time!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

A while ago, I bought six 5x5" tabletop mirrors, six pressed glass votive candle holders, and six votive candles, to use as table decorations for a dinner party. I put the candles in the holders on the mirrors, three on either side of a cut-glass bowl I already had, filled with flowers.

I've gotten my everyday wine and martini glasses there, too.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Corned beef hash. A buck a can.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I always stock up on dishes that I can use for pot lucks. Fill em up and leave them at the party.

Also, go if I have a childs birthday to go too... lots of little things are more fun than one big thing.