"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What is your Kitchen Collectible Nik Nak & Colors?

Good Afternoon,

Firstly, my condo kitchen in Gargano Peninsula, Puglia, Italia, is ocean blue and white ... very country seashore ... Since, I have collected ceramic Chefs for years, there are a few in addition to blue and white ceramic ware typical of this zone, shells and themes of the sea for example my stone gulls, wood and wrought iron and cobalt glass ...

In Madrid, I had not chosen the colors, however the scheme is sand dune beige with cherry red ... the bar and counter spaces are cherry red stone and the tiles are a Greek rustic sand dune color. The nik naks are ceramic Chefs and chef pictures lining one wall, and Bar scheme antique plaques and wooden floors throughout, and very modern as it is a Loft.

Look forward to your posts.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My kitchen is in Cobalt Blue, Red and Yellow. I have Pig Chefs and pictures of Dragons and Teapots.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

@ Princess Fiona,

Piglet Chefs ... wow ! and a touch of Asia ... Nice.

My chefs are Big Fat Italians !!! with big mustaches and big tummies ... also have sommeliers and waiters ...

Thanks for feedback ... Always curious, how we all spend so many hours online, practically speaking to each other via written word ...

Enjoy the feedback the most !

Got to learn how to utilise your foto business on the threads ---
Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't really have any nik naks or collectables of any sort. My colors are neutral, floors are wood.

My color scheme is tomato red, mossy green and golden yellow. These colors were inspired by a beautiful platter and serving bowl that I got at World Market, made in Spain.

I really need to inject a bit more of my own personality into my kitchen. When I lived in an apartment I took pictures of my stainless utensils, like my box grater, whisk, measuring spoons, and measuring cups. I had them printed in black and white and framed with black frames and hung them in backsplash area under the cabinets. It looked really cool, I got tons of compliments on them. I need to redo that idea and give a blank wall some personality.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Guess I'd have to say our kitchen is sort of grape vineyard style. The walls, what little there are, are papered in a watercolor-like paper that has a pale beige/cream mottled background with equally pale grapevines and clusters of grapes in almost wine/lavender and green. The cabinets are light oak and countertops are almond. The floor looks like an old stone walkway.

As for knick-knacks, there's not much space for (m)any. On a top shelf where our liquor bar is, I have a set of cobalt Fiestaware, which is a beautiful pitcher and 4 glasses. Otherwise, not much else.

I've made a valance (over our deep kitchen window above the sink) that is made of a fabric that nicely mimics the wallpaper. The backsplash behind the stove is made of 4-inch squares of brushed steel, set on point.

Our kitchen is primarily devoted to function and there's not much space left for decor, but I love it. Especially since my husband built it with his two strong hands. The whole house as well.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dragons and Teapots and a Chef Pig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen 006.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	13352   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen 012.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	13353  

Old 03-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

just recently i started to change the color palette. the kitchen is painted white. blue was the accent. now the blue is out and a brownish yellow is in. made new curtains. put out all my pieces with the same color that has mexican colors mixed in. i love it and with a bit of work it changed everything.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Executive Chef

House Beautiful Kitchens ...

@ Katie: sounds stunning ... I love the grape theme too ... however, when we rented the Loft in Madrid, we had to deal with the color scheme ... as it is too complicated to renovate a rental ...

@ Princess Fiona: thanx so much for posting ur fotos ... I like the Piglet with the chef hat ! He or she is a cutie !

@ Baetoo: Mexican theme is particularly lovely, especially where u reside ... Is it more of an Ocre or curry color ?

@ Bake Chef : we spend alot of time in our kitchens, thus --- it is quintessential to be surrounded by things we enjoy ! and harmony ... so the dishes cook up in harmony too ...

Great posts.
Thanx, have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Don't really have a color scheme and only have a crystal decanter and 3 matching snifters in memory of my oldest brother. These pieces are survivors of hurricane Charlie in which his home was completely destroyed. The 4th snifter didn't survive. The decanter and snifters are etched with a tall ship.

Not really in the kitchen, but in the great room that includes the kitchen area , we have a curio that has Karens dragons and unicorns, as well as some pieces of old scrimshaw that belonged to him as well. We also have several pieces of Murano glass from various trips to Italy.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Craig,

Thanks for your feedback. Sounds lovely. I like Murano glass too ... Have some stunner stemware ( wine glasses and flutes for Prosecco ) from there.

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

Tags
kitchen