What is your Pet Peeve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm. Only Experience. Once upon a time women often believed that men married because of .... well, intercourse. Nowadays marriage isn't much of a necessity for most people. I've said, for years, that many men marry to have someone to do all the sh*t that they don't want to do. My husband is much better than most (and, believe me, I took a few for trial runs), but even so, he truly does not know how to run the clothes washer. He doesn't know how to do keep-up house work -- he's great at what we call "the white tornado", that is to say really cleaning before a party or having guests. But to look at something that's a bit of a mess and just pick it up? Not gonna happen.
I believe I have seen my own version of "the white tornado". Does it by chance also include throwing everything into the nearest closet?

KA flour

Just ordered 18lb of King Arthur flours costing $47.40 or $2.65 per pound including a $10 discount and $12 for shipping. Just another example of things getting pricey. Still comes out better and cheaper than $4 for a 24 ounce loaf of store bought bread. I estimate my home baked bread costs about $1.50 to $1.75 per pound.

I believe I have seen my own version of "the white tornado". Does it by chance also include throwing everything into the nearest closet?
The downstairs bathroom has what I call party camouflage. Because it is the mud room laundry room all-around mess room, I've used tension rods and white lace curtains that match the windows. Before guests arrive, everything gets thrown into the bath tub and the curtains close over it. Since the house was built in 1854, we don't have a lot of closets, so that is sort of the equivalent!

Just ordered 18lb of King Arthur flours costing $47.40 or $2.65 per pound including a $10 discount and $12 for shipping. Just another example of things getting pricey. Still comes out better and cheaper than $4 for a 24 ounce loaf of store bought bread. I estimate my home baked bread costs about $1.50 to $1.75 per pound.

this may just be the beginning of a whole new thread, but what is so special about this king arthur flour that everyone is talking about? when flour can easily be had for $.50 per pound, why spend five times that much for ka's?

you guys are so funny!:) but what else ya gonna do when you got guests coming in less than an hour?
Make sure there's plenty of booze. Seriously, throw everything in the bathtub, close the curtains, and vacuum up the dog hair.

My doggie is still sleeping off Tuesday's party.

A friend of mine taught me the plastic bin trick. She also covered all of her paintings with plastic garbage bags, which she would yank off right before the MIL visited. She'd go on a white tornado cleaning spree the weekend before, and then viola--right before the MIL arrived, off came the garbage bags (all she'd do is vacuum and clean the bathroom the day of). Living alone 5 days out of 7, I admit, I have done the cover the paintings with plastic garbage bags so I didn't have to dust them again...

this may just be the beginning of a whole new thread, but what is so special about this king arthur flour that everyone is talking about? when flour can easily be had for $.50 per pound, why spend five times that much for ka's?

I was just wondering that myself. I have no idea what flour costs at the supermarket, but the organic, stone ground, wheat flour I buy at the health food store costs about $5.99 for a 2 kg (~4.4 lbs) bag.

You ladies may all be blaming men for white tornado and no day to day, but I'm unfortunately no better. And I was still female the last time I looked.

I was just wondering that myself. I have no idea what flour costs at the supermarket, but the organic, stone ground, wheat flour I buy at the health food store costs about $5.99 for a 2 kg (~4.4 lbs) bag.

I just paid $1.88 for five pounds of AP.

The local store where I shop carries KA but I always go with the store brand.

I don't want to get used to a lifestyle I can't maintain! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A friend of mine taught me the plastic bin trick. She also covered all of her paintings with plastic garbage bags, which she would yank off right before the MIL visited. She'd go on a white tornado cleaning spree the weekend before, and then viola--right before the MIL arrived, off came the garbage bags (all she'd do is vacuum and clean the bathroom the day of). Living alone 5 days out of 7, I admit, I have done the cover the paintings with plastic garbage bags so I didn't have to dust them again...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I hardly ever think of dusting my paintings, and I'd guess no more than once or twice a year. Geeze, I'd get rid of them before being worried enough to cover them with garbage bags to keep the dust off.:wacko:

King Arthur Flour for bread has more gluten. And it is unbleached. Less chemicals in your food. Yes you can buy it in the supermarket, but the KA flour that is for bread gives you a better product than all purpose flour. It is well worth the price. :chef:

It's been said before. Packaging that requires the use of deadly weapons to open, often ruining whatever it is in the package in the process.

My best bread (artisan or free form) baking results have been achieved using blends of ordinary bread (strong) flour ( Gold Medal, Pillsbury, Bob's Red Mill) KA's fancy durum, first clear, Sir Lancelot, and white whole wheat.

It is also regional. A flour that is perfect in New Jersey won't be perfect in Alabama, and not the same in California, or for that matter, Russia, Egypt, China. It really does make a difference.

I get KA in the stores here in Montana, so not as regional as it used to be. I buy KA exclusively for baking. I know how it is going to act in breads, cakes, pastries and pasta. Store brand AP would be cheaper but, it is not single source, can be any flour from any place they buy their flour from and I do not know how it will act. I do buy it for cooking, i.e. roux, gravies, breading.

I get KA in the stores here in Montana, so not as regional as it used to be. I buy KA exclusively for baking. I know how it is going to act in breads, cakes, pastries and pasta. Store brand AP would be cheaper but, it is not single source, can be any flour from any place they buy their flour from and I do not know how it will act. I do buy it for cooking, i.e. roux, gravies, breading.
The flours available to commercial bakers / bakeries from sources like ConAgra, are not generally available to home bakers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom