"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #1031
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I have a question about humidity....what is 100% humidity...water? We have all these weird things to test humidity here, Milan is very humid, our house has had a humidity reading of 74-77% since I arrived (and we run a de-humidifyer about 14 hours a day!), but I can't help but feel if that is the case we should be a fair way to a swimming pool!

Well, snow was threatened here, rain felt more likely, but in the end both held off. Heavy rain forecast tomorrow until Friday, when we might get snow. We missed the terrible storms of Europe because we were sheltered by the Alps, so it just blew east when it hit the Alps and could not come south.

Todays max temp here was 7 degrees celcius. :)
Well in our flat in Rome, the humidity reading sometimes got up to 80% plus before we got the dehumidifier. When you touch something from inside the dresser, you even feel it sort of damp. It is really yucky. As I told you, you should really give a dehumidifier a try during the winter (during the summer, just opening the window should be enough), it helps.

Here in Rome it has been incredibly mild for the last 2 days, I even went out with a jacket. However after the big storm passed through the northern europe the temperature is dropping drastically everywhere, and the forecast has it that it should affect Rome in coming days too, along with some rainfall. Yuck.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 AM   #1032
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
30 degrees and cloudy.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #1033
Head Chef

Perishing cold and really, really windy. Blue sky as I look out of the window to the right, a big bank of thick dark cloud off to the left, the direction the wind is blowing from. I think I'll just keep looking over to the right for now.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #1034
Chef Extraordinaire

i love being on the cusp of stormy weather snoop. i have some great pictures looking out over the gulf in florida and seeing the storms coming in. you often get really good lighting for photos in that sunlight.

we're finally into winter. had a small dusting of snow last weekend, and the temps are supposed to drop into the teens for daily highs later in this week.
cold weather suits me just fine.

i just got the ok from dw to book our first skiing trip in three years, so i'm off to scout out lodging on a mountain in vermont. a friend gave us their kid's skiis, so even my little guy is gonna get out on the slopes. need to get a helmet and leash, and a one way plane ticket. he'll be able to say he started skiing before he was 3!
(the plane ticket is for me in case he gets hurt. )

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #1035
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Storm hits also Rome... just in time for me to walk over to the gym... it is even hailing now. So much for the hip-hop lesson today.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #1036
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Finally...some sun. After a cold, dismal weekend and Monday, the sun is shining. Still cold, but the sun makes it feel warmer than it really is. I can see lots of blue sky and the clouds are breaking up and going away. We are supposed to get more of the same tomorrow, with more sunshine and fewer clouds. Hooray!

Still, I really do like winter weather. I was quite happy when I lived in Minnesota near the Canadian border. I can always put on enough clothing, etc. to get warm. I have yet to figure out, legally that is, how to take off enough to stay cool.

I hope we get at least one nice snowfall this year. However, it does not look promising.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #1037
Master Chef

The sun is shining on the pure fallen snow. The temperature is about 24 degrees. I got to go for a walk this morning, I was only out there for about 25 minutes but "oh" it felt so good.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #1038
Master Chef

Its in the low 20's and cold as all get.......not enough to keep me indoors completely though..........had to run find me a new pair of jeans......but believe me I booked it to the car in no time at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #1039
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
I can always put on enough clothing, etc. to get warm. I have yet to figure out, legally that is, how to take off enough to stay cool.
yes, this is the eternal problem. I want the Nobel Prize when I finally figure it out.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #1040
Senior Cook

It's cloudy and in the 40's. It's been like that here forever it seems. We would love some snow also, but it isn't looking likely.