"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #11191
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I wonder if that's the same storm we're due to get Friday night into Saturday. They were saying 3-6, now they changed it to 2-4. I think you get more snow on the east coast than we get.
I think it is Carol. Watching the 11:00 news last night, the first mention of accumulation was 6" to 9" for my area. By the time he got to the full forecast, he had changed it to 3" to 6". I though that was just fine with me. This morning, accumulation is now 6" to 12".

Bottom line - it's gonna snow and the forecasters have now clue.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #11192
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think it is Carol. Watching the 11:00 news last night, the first mention of accumulation was 6" to 9" for my area. By the time he got to the full forecast, he had changed it to 3" to 6". I though that was just fine with me. This morning, accumulation is now 6" to 12".

Bottom line - it's gonna snow and the forecasters have no clue.
You got that right Andy. I heard 1-2" at noon.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #11193
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is Friday the 13th. I am wondering if that is an omen for the storm they keep telling us about all week. Being as close to the ocean as I am, our temps are a bit higher than what the weatherman is telling us. It makes it hard to decide what our weather is really going to be.
A good night to dig out an old copy of Stephen King's Storm of the Century video!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #11194
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
A good night to dig out an old copy of Stephen King's Storm of the Century video!
The other day a friend whose wife is working in New York told me that she'd reported that it was snowing over there.

Hmm. What New York gets today we tend to get next week when it works its way east over the Atlantic ocean.

Weirdly mild over here. Nearly in the middle of December and I was wandering round the stable yard in a thin sweater and no coat. It did however rain like we were going to need Noah's Ark.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #11195
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We got up to a balmy 32F according to my car thermometer. Currently 28F, and we're supposed to get snow later tonight here along Old Man River.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #11196
Executive Chef

As much as I was anticipating that snow that's forcasted for tonight I'm hoping it passes us by. My grandson wants to come over and trim my tree with me!
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #11197
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
As much as I was anticipating that snow that's forcasted for tonight I'm hoping it passes us by. My grandson wants to come over and trim my tree with me!
That sound like fun. I always just left the tree which ever way the kids did it. The tree was more for them, than for me. I had some strange looking trees. How old is he?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #11198
Certified Pretend Chef

We expecting 8"-12" tomorrow night and Sunday morning. That means everyone races to the grocery stores to load up on milk and bread. The stores will be mobbed and the shelves will be bare.

This is something I've never understood. Do other people eat a lot of milk and bread when it's snowing? Is it a religious thing? And why milk and bread? How about some meat and vegetables? What about stocking up on bacon?

Hmmm, note to self. Buy some extra bacon. Better get some milk and bread too.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #11199
Head Chef

Milk, bread, cigarettes and beer. I don't drink milk or smoke cigarettes, but there's an innate drive in me to purchase these things whenever they predict snow. I don't have a choice. I'm driven to do so.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:59 AM   #11200
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
-22C (-8F)

Looks like we are getting some of that storm too. According to the Weather Network,

"...Finally, a low pressure system from the Southern United States will move to lie over New England Sunday morning while increasing. Snow associated with this system will affect Southern Quebec beginning Saturday evening with snowfall amounts possibly exceeding 15 centimetres. Northeasterly winds will also intensify as the system approaches and could significantly reduce visibilities in blowing snow."

They are predicting another 10 cm on Sunday. Total: 25 cm = ~10"