"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #14181
Head Chef

I daresay you have heard of the extensive floods here in UK? The cause being heavy rain e.g. 1 month's rain falling recently in one day, which has now flooded huge swathes of northern England - first Cumbria, then Lancashire and now Yorkshire. 500 soldiers have been called in, the community are supporting each other well and there are calls to reappraise the current defence barricades. Over 6,500 homes are now without power and, of course, there has been a mass evacuation. I count myself fortunate that I live away from all this.

It affected Cumbria on the week before xmas which must be a double tragedy. They already suffered floods before this so I can only guess how traumatic and frustrating it must be to see your house dry out, replace appliances etc only to have the whole thing recur. Of course this then takes its toll on the cost of future insurance and ability to ever get out of their situation re. selling their property.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #14182
Master Chef

It has been sleeting since 8:00 AM this morning and is going to continue all night and then it will turn to snow. My daughter is on call for the hospital tonight I sure hope they are doing a good job on the highways.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #14183
Chef Extraordinaire

Hunkered down-first snowstorm of the year is supposed to start tonight. Filled bottles of water for the critters, brought in more wood and got gas for the snowblowe and generator. New batteries in the flashlights and cell is charged.Got soup cooking on the woodstove. Fed and watered the birds when I locked them down incase I can't get out there in the a.m.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #14184
Master Chef

100% snow in the forecast. The question is how much we really going to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #14185
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Hunkered down-first snowstorm of the year is supposed to start tonight. Filled bottles of water for the critters, brought in more wood and got gas for the snowblowe and generator. New batteries in the flashlights and cell is charged.Got soup cooking on the woodstove. Fed and watered the birds when I locked them down incase I can't get out there in the a.m.
We're hunkered down too, in Cornwall.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #14186
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I daresay you have heard of the extensive floods here in UK? The cause being heavy rain e.g. 1 month's rain falling recently in one day, which has now flooded huge swathes of northern England - first Cumbria, then Lancashire and now Yorkshire. 500 soldiers have been called in, the community are supporting each other well and there are calls to reappraise the current defence barricades. Over 6,500 homes are now without power and, of course, there has been a mass evacuation. I count myself fortunate that I live away from all this.

It affected Cumbria on the week before xmas which must be a double tragedy. They already suffered floods before this so I can only guess how traumatic and frustrating it must be to see your house dry out, replace appliances etc only to have the whole thing recur. Of course this then takes its toll on the cost of future insurance and ability to ever get out of their situation re. selling their property.
I hate it when tragedy strikes in December. It is so heartbreaking. Even for those not directly affected. Here in the States we have had part of the country down south hit with nine tornadoes and a blizzard. All within less than 24 hours just before Christmas. Fifteen lives have been lost. One a baby just four days old. As we were listening to the news tonight, Pirate stated that the only thing that didn't hit Texas was a hurricane and a plague of locusts. It seems like Mother Nature's hormones have just run amok.

But like the citizens of Britain this country will pull together and help our neighbors. Even if they are hundreds of miles away. Because that is what decent humans do. We reach out to those in need, when the need is greatest.

I saw on the internet the stories and pictures about the floods and remember when the Lake District was hit with them a few years back. Here your folks are getting too much rain, and we have an area in California that is in a catastrophic drought. It has been four years since they have seen a drop of rain. And then another part of California has been hit with wildfires that are burning everything is sight. And all folks like you and those of us here can do is Pray. And reach out a helping hand where needed.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #14187
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Pirate stated that the only thing that didn't hit Texas was a hurricane and a plague of locusts...
Still waiting on those locusts, but tornadoes hit Garland, TX. It's just northeast of Dallas, and contiguous to Plano. We have friends in Plano. Even though the tornadoes didn't run through there, I'm sure there is a lot of clean-up to do after all these storms.

Right now I'm glad we aren't returning home just yet. Crossing PA with the weather coming through would gray up any hair that's still brown. Where we are in OH. it's been either rain or rain/sleet mix on and off (more on) most of the day. We're supposed to get heavy rains and possible wind gusts up to 50 MPH tonight, then things clear out by noon tomorrow. It looks like clear sailing all the way into next week; by then, we'll be heading back to MA.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #14188
Chef Extraordinaire

Meanwhile, we may set yet another record for heat tomorrow. The forecast says high 70s to low 80s with rain for much of the day.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 AM   #14189
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Still waiting on those locusts, but tornadoes hit Garland, TX. It's just northeast of Dallas, and contiguous to Plano. We have friends in Plano. Even though the tornadoes didn't run through there, I'm sure there is a lot of clean-up to do after all these storms.

Right now I'm glad we aren't returning home just yet. Crossing PA with the weather coming through would gray up any hair that's still brown. Where we are in OH. it's been either rain or rain/sleet mix on and off (more on) most of the day. We're supposed to get heavy rains and possible wind gusts up to 50 MPH tonight, then things clear out by noon tomorrow. It looks like clear sailing all the way into next week; by then, we'll be heading back to MA.
Please just make sure the roads are fit to travel on. Right now we are getting snow. It is supposed to turn to rain later around the afternoon hours.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #14190
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's really snowing hard now. I wonder how many days before I can drive home. Don't worry Addie, I'll wait and it's not even 60 miles. It's a good thing we all enjoy each other's company.