"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #1621
Master Chef

We are getting hit pretty hard today in the upper midwest. We are getting snow, sleet and now rain with very high winds. I sure hope that the power stays on.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #1622
Executive Chef

We had about 75 today - 80 forecast for tomorrow, but cooler by the end of the week. We don't mind.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #1623
Master Chef

rain, wind - no fine sunday weather..
great for spending time in front of th computer and enjoy a hot tea...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #1624
Sous Chef

freezing rain and high winds. DH has generator ready in case power goes. Peppermint tea for me!! DS's laptop (new one month) crashed!! Madder then a wet hornet. :>(
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #1625
Head Chef

Blue skies, mid-80s, light ocean breeze. Down to high 60s tonight. This is the time of year I feel so lucky to live here. I sympathize with those of you who are freezing cold - and it is such a struggle to get around when the weather is so daunting. Drive carefully! My hubby and I have decided that we never want to be cold again....
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #1626
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
We are having a warm spell - 41 F, snow, sleet last night -18 -brrr.
Grey and dreary today though - bummer
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #1627
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
freezing rain,changing to snow, suppose to get 3-6 inches tonight.Glad I don't have to go anywhere. Snuggle under blankie and have hot cocoa and i'll be just fine
Old 12-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #1628
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, it is a skating rink outside. i passed a half dozen accidents on the way in tonight. the freezing rain put a nice coating down. then it changed over to all rain, which is far worse for a short period. a layer of water over ice is about as slippery as you can get!

as i got closer to the city most of the roads were just wet, but the bridges were still icy. thankfully, i'm pretty good at driving by the seat of my pants as the expression goes, so i just fishtailed a bit, then slowed it down every time i got to an elevated section of road.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #1629
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow, it is a skating rink outside. i passed a half dozen accidents on the way in tonight. the freezing rain put a nice coating down. then it changed over to all rain, which is far worse for a short period. a layer of water over ice is about as slippery as you can get!

as i got closer to the city most of the roads were just wet, but the bridges were still icy. thankfully, i'm pretty good at driving by the seat of my pants as the expression goes, so i just fishtailed a bit, then slowed it down every time i got to an elevated section of road.
You are sooooo right about wet ice. If you turn your head too quick it can put you in a fishtail.

It's been snowing here, a lot! We have about 2 feet on the level. I've shoveled twice and you can't tell that I've shoveled at all. It's supposed to continue snowing through the remainder of this week. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a day or two where the roads are closed. My deep freeze has meet in it, and my pantry is in good shape. I've got a well so liquid isn't a problem either. I'm ready.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #1630
Executive Chef

Sunny and 46F this morning. We missed the horrible rain and wind the last few days, how lovely to wake up this morning to sunshine!!